Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Quadlock stick on mount works very well. I use a Kyocera DFP and a. Samsung 6 in a Lifeproof case as gps only. Both have the stick on mounts. Both get used on my KTM 450 on and off road. No problems. I think I will have to retire the Samsung as it is having gps issues.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Many people love the quadlock although I've heard a few reports of them wearing out after a few thousand miles of rattling about a bit.
  3. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:

plz post review once you get it... specially can it be updated to higher version of android...

i am in the market for a rugged cheap phone for kid ...
  4. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I've been having a similar issue recently. Did sections 1 and 2 of the NEBDR using the DFP as the nav and a Juiced Squeeze to charge, and every time I would turn the bike on, it would start to wirelessly charge, but then I'd look down anywhere from 15 min to an hour later and it's no longer wirelessly charging.

I'm wondering if it's placement related. I know wireless charging is very dependent on proper placement of the coils (which is why Apple has a magnetic wireless charger that auto-centers the phone on the charger). I did look up a pic of the DFP with the back removed, and the charging coil is slightly higher than center (when looking at the phone in portrait mode). I am going to try adjusting the phone a little to try to center the coils better, but I don't know if that's the problem or not.

FWIW I also have this same setup on my CRF250L, and I got that Juiced Squeeze from a buddy who was using it on his 1290 Super Adventure R, with a Samsung Galaxy S20 as his nav, and he was also getting intermittent charging issues, which is why he gave it to me.
    levain likes this.
  5. smackyface

smackyface Boldly going wherever Supporter

Oddometer:
    My DFP is picky about placement on my Juiced Squeeze but once it’s going, it’s fine. I find I have to be really careful lining the posts up with the dip in the middle of the edge of the phone or it shifts around easily when I’m moving.
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a direct comparison of the Kyocera DFP vs the Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Active? I'm mainly concerned about screen brightness or readability in bright sunlight, and to some degree how responsive it is with gloves on.
  7. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can very easily run rubber bands from the clamp down around the ram ball stem. That will increase spring pressure greatly.

I'm surprised you've had a phone bounce out though. I've been using this mount for years on both my 640Adv and KTM 400, over some crazy terrain, high speed rock gardens, jumps, a few OTB adventures, and never had the phone budge.

Are you using a case or something on the phone which makes it not nestle down into the curved claws?

Here's an example. I used to run these rubber bands on my mount, but stopped over time as nothing ever moved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These broccoli bands greatly increase the spring pressure.
  8. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    I have a Doogee S88 Pro that keeps losing GPS signal. Anyone else with this issue?
  9. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my Ulefone Power Armor 13, feels pretty solid in the hand, I'm sure it would be great for bludgeoning an attacker. I've been loading in my desired apps and getting it set up how I want it. I'm about ready to pull the Garmin Zumo 595 from the bike, freeing up the good spot to mount the phone. I want to run the navigation software and radar detector software, which the Garmin can't do. I've paired this phone with my helmet BT so that I can have directions, RD alerts and music all from this phone - it has 256GB ROM, so I have copied some music on to the phone for off-line listening. I did set the quick launch key to do nothing so that I could have one of the perfect squeeze arms pressing on it, it was a choice of that or having the phone massively off-centre on the mount - I'd rather not use that button.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  10. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same phone and, so far, it maintains the GPS connection pretty good. Can't say that it has ever lost it as long as the signal is not blocked by a tunnel or somesuch.
  11. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Garmin:
    [​IMG]

My Ulefone Power Armor 13:
    [​IMG]
    I have removed the Garmin & mount with wiring. From now on I'll just be navigating from the Android phone. The Ulefone with 6.81" screen should do the job just fine. I will be able to run the software for my RD as well as navigation software - something the Garmin just can't do. With the 13,200mAh battery I can charge while I ride or in bad weather I can just run the phone and rely on the huge battery to power the phone for as long as I need it, then charge up from a mains charger or from a power bank over night. When you look at the bikes display, it looks pretty small compared to the screen on the phone.
    Davethestick and assquatch20 like this.
  12. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    ^ I'm not able to see a picture....... How readable is the screen in direct overhead sunlight?
  13. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Following the front tire... Hopefully... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Came through ok for me…
  14. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Same here
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    No picture here - I guess we need to have an account with whatever sharing portal is being used.
  16. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's images from a Google account that doesn't have share permissions set correctly.
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  17. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully fixed, changed to imgur for images.
  18. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    My Doogee's GPS is toast. Too bad because it does eveyrthing else I need perfectly.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Contact Hondo. He's unaware of the issue. He ended up doing a partial refund on mine, so now I figure I have a perfect squeeze and if it charges bonus. I'm shopping phones, and will be going with a big battery to hopefully not need to charge as much on the bike. We'll see how that works out
  20. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently I'm testing out a new radar detector combined with my Ulefone Power Armor 13 running an app that controls the detector + adds GPS functionality. I'm testing in the car on my daily commute, but this is the setup that will be going on the motorcycle. I can run any navigation app I like and the RD software will be able to put overlays over top to give me alert information. So far the battery usage I'm seeing suggests that I should have no problem riding for many hours with the phone not plugged in or charging at all. Even if I was camping with no power I could charge the phone over night from a power bank and then charge the power bank while I ride by putting it in the tank bag and running a lead to my USB sockets on the bike.
    gpsdualsport likes this.