Ultra rugged Kyocera phones,GPS smartphones ..my guide

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PDX Alamo, Feb 19, 2017.

1. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have the screen on the whole time is probably the main reason. I just tap the power button when I need to check the map and the screen comes on then tap again to turn back off. I use Osmand and google maps along with streaming music. Maybe you have some apps running in the background also, check under settings then under battery it will show what apps and systems are using the most battery. I wonder if you need a new battery

Extend Battery Life - Brigadierâ„¢ by Kyocera
    [​IMG] Battery life is measured by standby time and talk time.

• Standby time is the amount of time the device stays powered on with no voice, data, or other usage.
    • Talk time is based on voice usage.
    • Using data such as web browsing, apps, or streaming reduces overall talk time.

In order to improve battery life, you can:

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Also you can maybe take a look at the Ecco Mode app that comes factory installed on the Df Pro. You can set it up to do the grunt work for you so it turns off and on what you choose and throttles down or up a bunch of stuff with one click.

I like it. Right now the phone is at 99% charge and showing 23.8 hrs of calling, one day+22 hours of waiting for someone to call, 5.5 hrs of video, 16.1 hrs of viewing photos, or 24 hours of music available. Cool that the app updates the remaining run times available as you increase or decrease the work load and as the batter charge level changes up or down.

I will defer to the geeks and nerds ( respectful appellations ) among us for suggestions as to what's the best one swat apps for managing other apps and extending battery run times.
    LM15 likes this.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I did some digging and found Sprint and ATT versions are PMA and Verizon version is Qi
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Starting with the S6 Qi and PMA are both integral.

I still haven't found anything definative on the S5 Neo, but the S5 can add Qi the S5 Active is SOL, maybe with a universal pad under a case (uses the USB port, but that is as good as that is going to get.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    Out of Baja and found some internet so I wanted to upload two videos taken with the Duraforce Pro the first one is taken with the normal camera and the other the wide angle action camera. It has image stabilization, an underwater mode to correct color, and the touch screen doesn't work underwater so it switches to an alternate method of controlling it with external buttons with a handy on screen tutorial. The phone is really well though out and video quality impressive . The scenery is pretty but no fish and anyone who had doubts about the waterproofness can rest assured it's water proof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LM15 likes this.
  6. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    My 3BR PowerSports cable came today. Got it rigged up on the bike at lunch. Charges my Kyocera at full capacity. Works flawlessly. I'll have to use it for a 400 mile day trip, but I doubt there will be any issues. Charged 30% in about 10m.
    TreasureState and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  7. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    Would using the Verizon Kyocera Duraforce Pro strictly as a GPS still require a SIM card?
    bigfoot2222 likes this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    The GPS in it is stand alone so it shouldn't need a sim for anything, other than cell service.
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    My wallet now hates you. :-)
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    Well worth it. Don was great to work with.
  11. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    No you don't need a SIM card . With verizon in order to do a software update to the operating system they require you to connect to the Verizon network with a SIM but I just would borrow someone's SIM pop it in update and give sim back.
  12. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  13. bobcat

bobcat recalculating

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread @PDX Alamo . Bought an XD on eBay last night. Looking to move forward from years of using a 276 and 478. :lurk
    cutter1 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  14. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    My pleasure , Hope it all works out for ya. This last trip I was able to use google maps navigation app that downloads the route for offline use on wifi. I used it most of my 5,000 mile trip although I wouldn't rely on it completely but it was handy .
  15. ready2ride

ready2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi y'all,
    Frequent lurker, seldom poster here. I have been using a Motorola Moto E for, primarily, a speedometer, dashcam and music player on the bike. Have been looking for a device to do this while not worrying about the weather. Based on what I've read here I went on ebay and bought an ATT Duraforce Pro. The wide angle cam and the glove friendly screen were features I felt made it worth the expense. Having only used it a couple days so far, here are my thoughts.

*The device is a perfect size for bike use. It's big enough to see easily yet doesn't look like a large tablet hanging off your windshield. I love the Dura Grid widgets. The big icons are really easy to use.

*The three hard buttons along the bottom are real nice compared to the soft keys on the Moto E.

*It has way more processor power than I am ever likely to need.

*Screen looks pretty good outside in the sun.

*The screen isn't as responsive to gloves as I had hoped it would be.

*This problem probably isn't a shortcoming with the device, but I can't get my dashcam app (Daily Roads Voyager) to use the wide angle cam. It defaults to the "regular" camera and I can't find a way to change that.

*Turning airplane mode on shuts off the GPS and I haven't found a way around that.

*I will be rigging up a charging cord to utilize the contacts on the back to keep from ever having to have an access port open. Polarity of contacts is as pictured:

Thanks to everyone here for sharing.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. PDX Alamo

Oddometer:
    I'm eager to hear how the pin cables work out, thanks for the info. Also on the Verizon you can program the push to talk button to open apps as well, very handy.

One thing though is when I use airplane mode my gps works fine and has on all my phones. Is it the mapping app you are using?

I have a Duraforce pro but a Verizon and GPS works on OSM , Sygic, google maps, and TomTom.

IMG_0623.PNG
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    On my almost new Duraforce XD, Airplane Mode turns off the GPS.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Maybe the Airplane mode turning off GPS can be corrected in some of the advanced settings or developer settings screens or maybe it's a selection in one of the apps. Battery saver maybe ?

I'm finding out this Android stuff can make the device do what I want or not let me do what I want depending on how I set some of the selections.
    So far with a little help I manged to correct all the mistakes I made. Mine is Marshmallow for Verizon, GPS works in Airplane Mode.
  19. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Oooooo...Ahhh...Duragrid widgets...haven't tried that yet!
    GPS good in airplane mode!
  20. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Check out ITN Converter. Works great for routing and can convert to your .trp files.