1. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    I live on da Big Island of Hawaii, and am thinking of starting a bike rental and adventure tour company here. Only can rent Harley's and ride the hiway as it is, and it's not the easiest thing to do. they are good people though, and I support their business. Just not my intended biz model. That being said- is this the right region for ride reports from here? Got great riding here, can do a lot of riding in a day, two days or a week!
    Foiler and slogger like this.
  2. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    I rented from 2wheels on Kauai back in the day, don’t think they still exist. The riding was top notch, i’d love to read more about your adventures, with pics....
    Foiler likes this.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. CruisingRam

CruisingRam Frankenbike builder

Oddometer:
    Thanks- I am really at a loss as the best place to post this, and yes, will post pics of riding my 200k on the ODO V65 Sabre in Semi-retirement in Hawaii. If you look through my old posts, you will see the bike, and I have since moved on to the relative comfort and quiet of the most active volcano in the world. Evacuated 4 times, no houses but lost two vehicles to lava (long story) and am now getting my bike on the road after some evacuation damage.
    Foiler and Kyron like this.
  5. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's weird, I don't see Hawaii listed as part of any regional forum at all :dunno
    I guess this is as close as it gets. Strong Bad is correct that there are two subforums specifically for ride reports, but I've never noticed any complaints about people posting them in their own regional areas. Personally, I like the idea, and enjoy brief RRs in the local threads I follow.

EDIT: Crusing Ram, if I were you I`d just designate HI as "SoCal, extra South" and post away.
    BIG-E and Foiler like this.
  6. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    There have been a few posts in the past from Hawaii inmates here in the "west" regional forum. I had my V65 on Oahu during the dozen years I lived there, thought it was the only one in the whole state as I never saw another one!
  7. MapRider

MapRider Trapped

Oddometer:
    I put 10,000 miles on my R1100GS on Oahu during the 3 years I lived there. Took that bike everywhere they'd let me. @PukaWai - you've got mail.....
  8. Fat Nelly

Fat Nelly Squid

Oddometer:
    As a person that travels to many far away destinations to ride dirt bikes your going to have an uphill battle. There is a long standing reason they only rent Harleys and street bikes. The state and locals do not want idiot tourists renting dirtbikes and riding the private lands that scatter the islands. Then having to rescue the fools cause only handfuls of people actually know how to ride in the wet slick dirt.

You would have to first designate trail systems away from private land owners before you could even think of renting a dirt bike to some vacationer.

But if you do open one I will be one of your first customers. :deal
    Rips Millar and rattlecan like this.
  9. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    They do rent scooters. Bring your saddle bags!
  10. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    From my understanding, the big island has relatively few public unpaved roads - is that true?. I personally have done Mauna Kea and Kekaha Kai in a Jeep and they both would have been far more fun on a bike.
  11. brap attack

brap attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know the laws for street legal bikes in Hawaii? I’m more specifically looking for maui. I have a plated XR650R I’m trying to bring with me this fall and have everything street legal besides turn signals. I can’t seem to find the information online anywhere...
  12. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I rented a KLR650 in 2014 on the big island from the guy who used to have the web site HiAdv.com. He rented bikes out of his home in Captain Cook. He was getting out of renting dirt bikes and dual sports because they tended to get beat up a bit too much. There was also the issue of rescuing someone with a flat tire, or worse, in the middle of nowhere. I was hoping to rent a DR650, but he had already sold the one he had by then. He also did tours that included some dirt sections.

I would like to be able to rent a decent motorcycle on the big island, Kauai, or possibly on Maui. I don't want to pay over $300 to rent some Harley that I don't even like, though. The KLR was actually decent on the paved roads (too clumsy in the dirt). Some pseudo-adventure bike like a 650 VStrom or Versys would be good enough.