Uncle and Nephew Ride the Cousins NMBDR Modified

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TexasStevo, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Aikenrunner

Aikenrunner 18 KTM 690 Enduro, 14 CB500X RR Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report! Myself and a buddy rode the NM BDR right before you guys. We were there from October 5-10th and had an absolute blast. We stayed at the Hidden Springs Motel in Reserve also and at the same KOA in Grants. We were lucky and did not have any flats but my headset on my CB500X with Rally Raid conversion came loose and was just destroyed from the rough terrain. I had to ride the last day with the headset banging all day long but got through it.
  2. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. You guys definitely hit a lot of the good stuff.
  3. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and feedback. This was our first longer trip living off the bikes and my first ride report. We are back home and settled in. KTMCarhart will be post processing his little heart out on the video stuff, looking forward to those, going to take a while I am sure. I also said I would give a report on some of our gear.

Tire Report—reminder, KTM 690 had MT21/D606, Husky 701 had the new Tusk Adventure tires front and rear. All were brand new and traveled 1562 miles in 7 days. We have run several sets of the M21/D606 in years past and have come to expect good performance all the way around on a dual sport leaning towards the dirt. My first impressions of the Tusk on my bike, front had a little head shake over 70mph. Could be my fault, I didn’t balance anything, not something I have ever bothered with on my dual sports in the past. That said, I ride this bike faster on the top end for longer periods of time than any bike I have had in the past. At any rate, the head shake went away after a couple hundred miles of hauling the mail in the desert. Took me a while to build up confidence in both front and rear on both pavement and the dirt, especially with all the weight on the bike, the most weight I have ever ridden hard and aggressive with. I got there and really started railing on these tires. Hopping around the trail, jumping, sliding, side hilling etc. I really like them and as long as they are almost half price from the other tires on the market, it is a no brainer for me and I will continue to buy them for BDRish stuff. For more of the Texas pavement and gravel type rides, will probably go milder.

I took measurements on the rear tires before we left and I have post measurements:

Tire Center Before Center After Side Lug Bef Side Lug After
    D606 19/32 8/32 19/32 17/32
    DAdv 20/32 11/32 23/32 20/32

Bottom line, DAdv tires had a little more to start with and a little more after it was over. The side knobs are longer and more aggressive, Daddy like. And I may have been harder on the DAdv with my desert sliding, acceleration and wheelie hopping antics vs. KTMCarhart on the 606. Here are After Pics of both tires, D606, then DAdv. The 606 had multiple flats, one pinch flat and then a nail that caused us problems. The Dadv tires had no flats and I ran no rim locks….i was worried about this but came out okay. Our pressures were higher than our normal due to the loads.

upload_2019-10-23_7-7-37.png upload_2019-10-23_7-7-43.png

Other gear worth mentioning:

My sleeping bag did not cut it, Teton Trailhead Sports. I believe it is good to 30 degrees. Well, it got a little colder than that and I am not a little guy at 6’1” 230, the bag didn’t “mummy” me very well. In Texas, I was more worried about compact than cold temps or zipping it over my head. I need a better bag for the mountains/cold. This was the first trip I had a cot, Hitorhike Compact Cot. It was great, won’t do this without it. I won’t bother with a sleeping pad anymore…and the cot folds up smaller than the pad anyhow. This was the longest trip I have done “living” out of my Wolfman Bags. I was pleased and got a system down of what went where and I really liked how compact they hugged the bike and they took abrasions well when I squeezed between boulders or pine/cedar trees. I think I would like Mosko Moto ones even more, but my bike came with the Wolfmans. However, if Mosko Moto sent me some in the mail, off with the Wolf!! I bought a couple sets of Rok straps, these were awesome for the various add-ons that would come and go each day needing to be tied down, food, beverages, trash, jacket when shed and the rear tire I lugged around the last day. The Giant Loop handguard shield things, great for blocking the cold wind in the mornings. I can still stay with my plan of no heated grips, less is more. Riding gear was all good: ZacSpeed Recon Backpack (minus a zipper that flaked my first ride a couple years ago), EVS body suite, EVS shin/knee guards, Klim Dakar Pants, MSR basic Jacket, Forma Adv Boots, Bell MX9 Helmet, Oakley Goggles, MSR gloves. I would like a slick Adventure jacket that combines some of what I have, but I ran out of money. Same with my helmet, would like something nicer, but ran out of money. Bike parts come before comfort upgrades. Adjust-a-fork worked good, look forward to more camp cooking off the bikes. And in honor of Joe Motocross, I am ditching the camp chair, didn’t really use it.

Only issues with my bike/gear—lost a couple screws on my throttle control and my skidplate split. I took my time researching that plate, went with an AXP extreme skid plate from Slavens. I know I glanced off some stuff here and there but no real hard hits or full on “casing” it and no hits higher up on that vertical side seam. I don’t think the plastic welder penetrated enough, one hit down low just made it split all the way up. Called Slavens and talked with Alec, he immediately went in help mode and is going to get it warrantied with AXP. Gotta love Slavens. I hope this was just a one off deal on AXP production.

upload_2019-10-23_7-9-28.png

KTMCarhart and I have our next big adventure in the planning stages…..our in-house developed tracks for our Backcountry Nomad ride in Wyoming, we are doing it in August 2020. Anybody wants to support us with some gear, hit me up and we will test it, rate it and sticker our bikes up. We said if the NMBDR didn’t challenge us, we were going to step it up a notch or two. Done, conceptually anyway. Our Wyoming route is a more ambitious ride with more technical terrain mixed in and really remote camp spots.

Till then, thanks for following along and encouraging us. Stevo

upload_2019-10-23_7-11-37.png

Attached Files:

95Monster, scanda, jachew and 2 others like this.
  4. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report. Just moved to NM and plan to do the BDR as my first off-road first camping trip.
    95Monster likes this.
  5. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the pics, ride report and the tire evaluation.
  6. Aikenrunner

Oddometer:
    Hey TexasStevo, I noticed that you are using a Lynx fairing on your 701. I have been looking at fairings for my 690 and was wondering if you could comment on the Lynx. Thanks
  7. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello there Aikenrunner. The fairing--it came on the bike. I think for the price point it is hard to beat. Mine has the upgraded LED lighting which is really awesome, GPS mount and larger wind screen. I have played with the screen in various positions, drilled holes to lower it and liked it better lower. So I put it back in the stock holes and cut off enough from the top to make it level with the top of the fairing. This creates zero wind buffeting when going over 70 and sitting, I am 6'1". I would only raise the screen if it were raining and or a crazy bug situation.....which would make me slow down and the wind buffeting would lessen even with screen raised. If I were buying it new, I would buy the smaller wind screen. All that said....it isn't as sexy as the full on rally towers. Being weekend trail warriors, most of us don't need a full on rally fairing to conduct business, so spending over twice as much would just be vanity :-). I also had the thought of asking them to leave the slots out of the fairing to forgo the windscreen all together. I think this would bring back some sexiness to this baby rally tower and I do like having the fairing for wind/cold, instrumentation and GPS location. Another observation, if I went the expensive full on tower route, I think I would like a painted fairing better vs. a clear one. The clear full on towers are awesome looking when new.....what about after a season when the dust and/or scratches on both sides of the clear fairing don't look cool anymore, my OCD would not like that and I don't want to buy new screens every season or worry about production runs. I am considering asking the Lynx folks to make me a new white fairing cover without the slots and blow off the windscreen. If I can't have that, will probably get the smaller windscreen, mine has scratches on both sides :-). If it is just about wind, I know some folks are happy with a simple Madstad screen. All that said, I would love to know your thoughts since you are shopping and/or what you end up doing. I kick around upgrading to something cooler....I haven't cause the money always goes to other more deserving areas of the bike. I don't ride at night much and don't follow roll charts, ha ha.
  8. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just sent the Lynx folks an email to see if they will make me one without the slots. Will post back up if they pimp one out for me.
  9. Aikenrunner

Oddometer:
    I am looking because I would like a little more wind/weather protection than stock but I had read some reviews of the Lynx that seemed to have issues with the durability. I don't ride much at night either and don't plan to so that is not a major consideration. I was pricing the Lynx and in the cart it was about $950 and the Rade Garage one is about $1350 and it is much more substantial. Have you seen the one that Highway Dirt bikes makes? It is more basic and budget friendly but is not as snappy looking as the Lynx or the Rade Garage. Not sure which way I am going just yet.
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Really, Really enjoyed your story and pictures. Thanks !!!!
    One of my favorite BDR's. Me and my buddies did the New Mexico
    Shadow Of The Rockies route going South---------then the BDR North.
    Awesome ride as you know.
    We were the very first to ride the route "after" it was published.
    Lucked thru the snow-------it was a month later before anyone else got thru it all
    as snow fell right behind us.
    My 690----------before it blew up last year.
    [​IMG]
  11. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bigdog, have to say I have really, really enjoyed your many ride reports as well. Gleaned a lot of good tips from you and got inspiration from you to do more of this kind of stuff. Almost crapped my pants when you posted a pic of your Honda 450 Rally!! If you ever need a place to stay or wrench in central Texas, hit me up.

Ride On, Stevo
  12. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent report...it looks like the mid-sized bikes were a good compromise for the terrain/miles.

BTW, it's not a big deal to read the report afterwards (vs. while you are on the trail).