Under an old house in Queensland - The Suzuki GT250 and other bikes that belong on the scrap heap!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Damian_74, May 9, 2019.

1. Damian_74

Damian_74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Joys of powder coating.

Spent a few hours (and a few COVID beers) re-tapping all the holes and sanding off the powder coat from bits that aren't suppose to be coated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've ordered in Taper Steering Head bearings in to replace the original free ball type that Suzuki used. It required a bit more material to be taken off the stem. Only just managed to get it to fit in my lathe as as the stem is welded to the lower triple - if it was any bigger I would have to take the gap out and use a drive dog (far too lazy for that).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JB2 and Pezz_gs like this.
  3. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Forks.

These are in a horrible condition, but then the bike is 46 years old so it is expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to get new pattern inner tubes off eBay for about $440 delivered. Along with seals, NOS bushes and NOS top caps - they will be like new.

[​IMG]

There was a problem with one of the lower pistons - couldn't get the final circlip on. I think that the groove was machined slightly out. Ended up taking a small lick from the piston on the lathe.

[​IMG]

Now for the part that I hate - polishing..................before and after shots.........but happy with the result!

[​IMG]
  4. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    www.motoretro.com.au

Damian, have you tried these guys??

They have quite a bit of NOS parts off old dealers. Might be worth a try??
  5. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pez.....yes have ordered a few bits off him.

I keep punching part numbers into his web page and none of them are coming up. I did call Brett about a year ago, he was in the middle of moving to a new location so by his own admission, not all the stock was listed. Might have to call him again.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  6. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Legs polished, then spent another two hours cleaning the workshop of all the shit that the buffing wheel flung everywhere......:baldy..

On the later forks, I normally press in the seal before assembly - but with these early ones, the piston and bush assembly is on the outside of the stanchion tube so I need to put it in after. I needed a 33mm seal driver and just happened to have a bit of aluminium round stock left over from another job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more job ticked off the list!

[​IMG]
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That Seal driver is SO MUCH more sexy that the length of split PVC I use to set the seals in my Suzuki forks!
    busa1300 likes this.
  8. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    I had the aluminium, not the PVC pipe. :D
  9. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Carbies.

Went through my collection of broken and bent carbies and have managed to salvage a decent set. There are still a few parts on order (needle & seat, gaskets and OEM needle jet) but another job done.

[​IMG]

Gave them a good scrub with throttle body cleaner, light etch with Ali Brite to remove 40 years of corrosion then followed with a light polish with fine steel wool - just enough to bring back a slight sheen, I don't want them too shiny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JB2, villageidiot, Scoozi and 6 others like this.
  10. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, the carbs transformation looks fantastic, must remember the Ali Brite for future projects.
  11. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Embroidery Shop.

So the Mrs (She Who Must Be obeyed) was looking for a change of career – something that would work around the Little Monster's school pick up. Whilst searching Gumtree last year and I found a single head Industrial Embroidery machine for a very good price.

To kick things off SWMBO wants operate if from home to minimise overheads and work her own hours - Bring on her new Embroidery Shop. The downside for me is that she is taking over the coolest and best naturally lit section of my workshop.

It isn’t a huge area, only 3.5 x 2.5m but for the single head machine, small amount of stock and her computer it should be enough.

The floor was far from level with a hump in the middle falling to a 60mm low in one corner and 30mm in the other. I started with an acid wash, high pressure clean and generous coating of Boncrete, then used levelling screed to fill the worst of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was a self levelling compound. I’ve never used this before – WOW you have to go like F##k as it sets quickly. Ended up with a small low spot in the middle as we run short of material but a small second pour fixed that.

[​IMG]

In the interest of saving space I have framed up for a cavity sliding door. The door is 1200mm wide as I used a 2nd hand map cabinet that is 1000x1600mm as a stand for her machine. The draws work well to store all the many spools of thread, backings and framing hoops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went for a commercial porcelain tile with I high slip rating. And of course SWMBO wanted a fancy pattern so lots of cuts were involved!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy with the result – when I get home from sea in a month, I’ll sheet the walls and install the door – then I will have to re-organise my workshop to restore order in the world.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Security guard on duty!

[​IMG]
    L84dinr, JB2, 8382 and 11 others like this.
  12. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nicely done man!
    Damian_74 likes this.
  13. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Her new toy sitting on the re-purposed map cabinet.
    It was in average condition when I got it but solidly built. A sand back and a coat of paint. Eliminated five of the draws and made up dividers for the thread and backings. New timber top and draw front. And to finish it all off added some levelling casters!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JB2, villageidiot, Scoozi and 4 others like this.
  14. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great work Damian_74, the floor levelling looks to have worked really well and your tiling work has come up a treat.
    It is nice having the skills to use your hands to do different maintenance and improvements around home, love doing this myself.
    Great finish all round on the floor, wall and cabinet.
    Damian_74 likes this.
  15. Essbee

Essbee none

Oddometer:
    Wow, that cabinet looks good! SWAMBO ( A = Always ) must be delighted.

Nice job on the floor too!
    mike and Damian_74 like this.
  16. Dirt_Boy

Dirt_Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adelaide, Australia Home of Coopers Pale Ale MMMMM
    Nice work Damian_74
    Damian_74 likes this.
  17. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Finally home - had only two weeks home over the last three months - time for a little break and get reacquainted with the Family!

Last day on board was special - at Christmas Island for ANZAC day Dawn service.
    An honor to see my ship taking such a prominent part in the service serving as backdrop to the proceedings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm the good looking bloke in the middle!

[​IMG]

So home and straight into it.......

Starting with separating her space from mine. Fitted the sliding door and hardware. Ended up using 35mm ply. It wasn't the cheapest option but easy, solid and time efficient. Power lighting and CAT6e Ethernet roughed in. Next was 2 x 25mm PIR panel insulation to the dividing wall - will at least keep the dust out till I line it. Her embroidery machine is very sensitive to dust. Even the draft from my workshop fan blows the threads around causing tangles and stoppages. Apparently that is the reason she MUST have AC...... I feel I got the wool pulled over my eyes there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fast Idle likes this.
  18. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    I want my bike bench back for the 74L resto, so the last job on the TR250 that I need it up there for is the oil system.

The bloke who built the TR250 informed me that he hadn't done anything to the oil system when rebuilt the engine. Every time I start the engine it pumps out massive plumes of heavy white smoke that ensues the neighborhood. If it's sitting for any length of time there is also the occasional 2stroke oil leak from the exhaust.

Fitted on the end of the autolube lines to the cylinders are spring ball valves that should only allow oil to flow when there's a negative pressure in the crankcase. These gum up over time blocking oil flow with catastrophic results or what i suspect in this instance, sticking open allowing oil to flow on shutdown. They are also often damaged during cleaning when high pressure air is blown through the lines.

Suzuki never supplied the valves as a separate item and hasn't supplied the complete oil lines for decades - Luckily for me Kawasaki uses identical valves (Part No. 16128-009) and is still a stocked item.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst I had it in bits, it was timely to overhaul the oil pump - this is another item that Suzuki never intended to be overhauled with no spares listed but there is a bloke on eBay Canada that sells kits with all the correct seals.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293724850411?hash=item44635d88eb:g:Z-oAAOSwJV1Z4nTY&frcectupt=true

[​IMG]

Refitted all the overhauled components leaving the banjo bolts loose on the cylinder end and the pump disengaged from its drive. Using an old tacho cable and a drill, primed all the air from the system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now only indicators and it's ready for rego!
    JB2, 3legs, Fast Idle and 1 other person like this.
  19. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need a good slapping!!!!

You let your missus take up valuable garage space :lol3:lol3:lol3

Love your work.

So your missus can do embroidery. I may a small job for her.

Can she do a patch the same as a bike model badge and if so can she make it bigger than standard size.

If she can PM me for more details.
  20. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Was looking at doing badges but there are a few problems that I need to overcome first - maybe down the track.

At the moment she is aiming at the baby / school market. Cashed up Aunts and Grandparents will spend up for that SPECIAL gift and Parents are sick of little Johnny taking their kids hat and jumper.

THE HURDLES
    • We just can't compete with eBay / Amazon / China. A workmate just bought a large (100x150mm) Iron-on Harley badge for $20 off eBay. It appeared to be quality work. The materials and machine time would cost me more than that.
    • Merrow edge - that lovely stitch locked edge that you see on badges is done with a special overlocker. Even 2nd hand they go for several thousand dollars - need to sell a lot of badges to make back the investment but am still on the lookout for a bargain.
    • Copyright infringement - maybe not an issue if you are only making a few odd special order badges and shirts but we have made the decision at the start of this venture, that isn't somewhere that we want to go.
    3legs likes this.