Under an old house in Queensland - The Suzuki GT250 and other bikes that belong on the scrap heap!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Damian_74, May 9, 2019.

1. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    a local artist, Ray Troll made some hats & T shirts for a local fishing group that called themselves "Hells Anglers"... the Hell's Angles came after him for infringement because the art looked too much like their logo. I still have one of the (very rare) hats
    Damian_74 likes this.
  2. Damian_74

Damian_74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The positive side to spending so long away ........ three months worth of parts scrounging and packages to open - just like Christmas!

[​IMG]
  3. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    I spent a few hours in the QLD Transport office trying to register the TR250. As it is Pre-ADR (Australian Design Rules) there is no compliance plate and no previous records in their system.
    In the end I think they just got sick of me gave me the rego plate to get me out of there.

So happy with this thing, feels solid and handles well considering its suspension technology, it even stopped!!!! not sure it would stop for the third corner after the drum brakes faded off.
    It even surprised me a few times when the front wheel lofted from a spirited start. The expansion chambers and pod filters really open it up with a pleasant sound.

My only complainant is the seat. I only rode the dam thing for 25 miles and three days later I still have a bruise on the inside of my thigh where the edge of the seat bites.....will have to look into reshaping it but due to its tiny size and my big ass I am not sure it is going to work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Looks great! You’ve done a brilliant job :thumb
    Damian_74 likes this.
  5. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Not all my doing - It was mostly done when I bought it (pain, tank, tail section and expansion chambers).

I rewired it (new custom loom), rebuilt all the running gear, oil injection system, carbies, new hand controls, T500 switch gear, speedo and a few other little things.
    villageidiot, Fast Idle and Pezz_gs like this.
  6. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like the tank is six inches too long and the seat is six inches too short for comfort
    zzzak and gavo like this.
  7. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    It might sound a bit weird, but I like making new looms from scratch. :loco For me it’s an incredibly satisfying process in itself (simple things please simple minds) but you get to build all the modifications in. Personally, I hate odd wires running here and there that have been plumbed in by previous owners. Also, you can tailor it for ultimate practicality rather than production line considerations - better wire runs, eliminating redundant wiring and connectors, adding a beefier earth/ground system, building-in accessory cabling, etc. etc.

However, you’re never too old to learn new tricks so next time I make one I’ll try out your ‘Scotch and tunes’ methodologyj. :D
    Richarde1605, Scoozi and Damian_74 like this.
  8. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    It is all about the girth!
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  9. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Now back to the 74L resto

Engine strip.

Cracked open the cases - I suspect failed crank seals after fuel sitting in the crankcase from leaking past the needle and seat (no float bowl overflows on the early bikes and yes I forgot to close the fuel valve) and to vapour blast the cases.

[​IMG]

Bit of gentle heat to get the studs out (need to be removed for blasting).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't expect this much sludge in the gearbox. Actually I'm at a loss to where it's from. There is only about 1000miles since the previous owner had it all apart. It gives the appearance of years of neglect. I did notice the clutch steel plates had rust/water marks on them?????

I think I've got a complete set of bearings for the gearbox but they are getting hard to come by - only ancient NOS stuff at leg breaking prices.

[​IMG]

There is a bit of damage to the cases on the front and rear - quick skim on the mill fixed that. Took forever so set it up but worked in the end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "quick skim on the lathe ".
    As you do.
  11. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    OK - Mill (fixed now)
    zzzak likes this.
  12. zzzak

Oddometer:
    A lathe is a mill in the right hands.
  13. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    True - but a mill is a lot easier - and if you have one sitting in the corner!
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  14. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Lathe Gremlins.

Needed to make a few bearing drifts for the engine strip - The DRO on my lathe failed a week ago, whilst annoying wasn't a show stopper.

But the failed stepdown transformer on the control circuit is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Open circuit on the primary.

The DRO had been losing its reference point on the X axis every time it was powered up. Until the other day when I got nothing but 8's on all displays.

[​IMG]
    Left it on over night and was met with this message the next morning.

[​IMG]
    There is a 2.4v memory battery on the motherboard.
    Replacement should arrive next week.
    Hope that's all it is.

Until it isn't working - you don't realise how handy a lathe is!
    scot_douglas and Fast Idle like this.
  15. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Distinguished Gentleman's Ride 2021

Perhaps not the best choice of bikes due to the stop/start nature of the ride (high gearing, no power under 5000RPM) but a good ride.
    As it's still a fresh engine I have the oil pump adjusted higher than normal - there weren't too many bikes fowling close!

[​IMG]
    Even found a jacket and tie for the occasion.
  16. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Work has slowed to a snails pace - I had arranged a few months off work to get on with building her embroidery shop, house reno's and a bit of shed/beer time.

Plans changed!

OK so ..... 40+ year old SHMBO (not allowed to publish real age) decided that she would join Little Miss Six in her Taekwondo training to encourage her and get fitter at the same time.
    Now she's never done anything like this in her life, but with encouragement from Miss Six and silly ME she joined up.

Third lesson and she snaps her ACL.

Two months on, many 1000's of $$ (despite having top health insurance) and she in on the mend. But is not allowed to drive and mobility reduced - hence not much shed time for me!

[​IMG]

In-between school pickups, Dr visits and housework I've managed to at least get some order back in my workshop and lined the wall.
    On the bright side I get 100% attention from Miss Six. - She likes to direct works from a comfortable chair.

[​IMG]
    Please applaud the use of hearing protection and ignore the Japanese safety boots.

Wall sheeting up, lots of 10 amp power points, a few 20 amp welding points, air lines and shadow boards screwed off - just a shelf to build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SHMBO hobbled down the stairs yesterday and opened up her Embroidery shop door for the first time in a while - not impressed!

I had to put them somewhere whilst working!

[​IMG]
  17. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez I wish my workshop was that clean :D
    Damian_74 likes this.
  18. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    As my workshop is tight on space (and now worse since she has taken over the best bit), I've got no choice but to be anal about putting stuff away, otherwise it quickly becomes unmanageable.
  19. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    New embroidery workshop door arrived today - don't know how but a bike found its way in there.

[​IMG]
    Richarde1605, nostep, Scoozi and 3 others like this.
  20. zzzak

Oddometer:
    Its like pregnancy.
    Fast Idle and Damian_74 like this.