Under an old house in Queensland - The Suzuki GT250 and other bikes that belong on the scrap heap!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Damian_74, May 9, 2019.

1. Essbee

Essbee none

Oddometer:
    That looks like a showroom!
  2. Damian_74

Damian_74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Her showroom - I normally shy away from showing the neighborhood what's in my shed - if they don't know it's there whey won't try to pinch it!
    sruss67, Essbee and 3legs like this.
  3. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Embroidery Shop

Getting close now!

• Ceiling in and painted.
    • Downlights fitted - tri-colour LED's. As SHMBO needs to match thread colours, I selected the 6000K (daylight).
    • Walls mostly lined. Corro sheet end all fitted off. Plywood paneling given a coat of varnish before fitting, will give final coats after edge trim and desk fitted. Then the sparky can finish off.
    Keen to finish off this project so I can get her stuff out of my workshop and get back to important things like motorcycles!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sruss67, 3legs, Richarde1605 and 2 others like this.
  4. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All work and projects, are beautifully done, outstanding !! Thanks for the pictures and story. Are you allowed to tell us what your real job is , the one at Sea not the SWHTBO one.
    Damian_74 likes this.
  5. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    There are stories - Back when I was a Junior Engineer tramping around Southeast Asia!:kbasa2:viking:freaky
    The best part is that it all happened before camera phones so there is no evidence - just 2nd hand stories.

Now the fun Police control everything. Can't even get a beer on a ship these days.
    Essbee likes this.
  6. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Embroidery Shop - FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Scope Creep" is how I would describe this project but SHMBO is over the moon. This might earn me a few bike and beer evenings in my shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really nice work, looks excellent.:thumb
    Good to see you found room to sneak in a few bikes. :lol3
    villageidiot, Damian_74 and LJC like this.
  8. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Wheels.

Got a deal on Facebook Marketplace the other day.
    Two "NEW" 18x1.85 D.I.D. rims for $230 delivered! The seller had laced them up for his RD but then changed them out for some alloys.
    I would have preferred a 1.6 on the front as per original but for the price I couldn't say no.
    Spokes off eBay via Thailand - $100 front and rear (quality????....time will tell)

All laced up - another piece in the jigsaw done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    I've wanted a side car for a while - even had 3Legs on the lookout for me.
    Did look at a few BMW setups and was tempted but wasn't quirky enough for me.....the solution

1984 Jawa 350 / Velorex chair.

Not running - fuel tank buggered inside but low millage and complete. Hasn't been registered since 1990. Put a camera down the spark plug hole and it looked perfect inside so am half confident that with a new tank, points and carby rebuild, it will fire up.

Have got 15 months to get it on the road (and work out how to ride the dam thing as I've never ridden one of these) before Little Miss's 8th birthday - as far as I can make out, that's the legal age you can take a minor on a motorbike. Read the QLD transport rules a few times - they don't differentiate between a pillion and a sidecar passanger.

[​IMG]

Need to finish the Suzuki GT250L resto first so it's now parked in the corner tempting me. Little Miss comes home from school and instantly wants to sit in HER sidecar!
    Scoozi, Helibee, Richarde1605 and 9 others like this.
  10. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great. Very tidy.
    Damian_74 likes this.
  11. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Suzuki GT250L - Crankshaft

[​IMG]

I've avoided pressing the crankshaft - It's one of those jobs that can go easy - a few well thought out hits with a copper hammer on a crank web and everything is straight or, there are the other shafts that you keep chasing the run-out form one way to the other. Several beer stops were required for this one as it tested my patience. Ended up getting it under 0.05mm. I think the spec is 0.08 so happy with that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can use the press tool that I'd made for the B model crank as thankfully the L bearings are the same size. It has a lip on the underside that hooks under the bearing but clears the oil dam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All cleaned and ready for new seals. Parts and getting harder and harder to get and more $$$$$

[​IMG]

Setting height of new seal / centre bearing.

[​IMG]

$50 Kmart induction cooktop (extra lump of steel required to stop it going into error), heated the bearings to 80 deg C, slipped straight on without needing to press / hit the bearings.

[​IMG]

Going back together - checking alignment as I go.

[​IMG]

Checking connecting rod axial clearance - set to 0.35mm

Didn't get any alignment pic's - just think of an angry me with a big copper hammer and a dial gauge.

[​IMG]

Replaced all the gearbox bearings. Output bearing was on it's way out - another NOS part that I paid too many $$ for from eBay.

[​IMG]

Polished all the running surfaces. Not sure of the millage of this gearbox but the gears and shafts are in amazing condition for a 47 year old bike. There were a few burrs on the splines where some of the gears sit. A polish back with a wet-stone and 800 grit had it sorted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard bit done - waiting on a few bits to come back from the zinc bloke and then I can throw the engine back in.
  12. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Damian_74, post: 42925588,

Didn't get any alignment pic's - just think of an angry me with a big copper hammer and a dial gauge

:photog
  13. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Suzuki GT250L - Engine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Went through the collection of alternators / points plates - What a mess.
    Found the one that tested OK with the Insulation tester but some of the loom was damaged.
    New points/condensers, a few new wires and a fiberglass sleeve are we are good to go.
    Waiting for some of the period correct PCV tubing to arrive to finish off the loom.

[​IMG]
    Bores given a light clean up with a parallel hone, just enough to break the glaze.

[​IMG]
    Suzuki piston to bore clearance - 0.04 to 0.06mm.
    Mine as measured - Left cylinder 0.06, Right 0.08mm.
    Just outside specs but as it is not a race engine or need to do lots of Km's, it will go again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ready to fit to the frame.
    Have yet to polish the covers - another job that I am avoiding!
    Scoozi, Helibee, 3legs and 6 others like this.
  14. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is looking lovely.
    Damian_74 likes this.
  15. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Suzuki GT250L - Engine fitting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That engine was heavier than I remember!
    It's in, bit of a dry assembly of all the other bits in an attempt to work out what parts are missing.

At the point that I need do decide which way I am going to go.....I'm thinking a mild Café Racer.
    Drop bars, chambers, seat hump and rear sets.
    I've got all the original bits and I'm not going to butcher anything so it can be very quickly changed back to OEM if wanted.....just to appease the rivet counters.
    Helibee, 3legs, sruss67 and 3 others like this.
  16. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Suzuki GT250L - Carbs revisited!

[​IMG]

Fitting up the throttle cables and setting the individual throttle slide close position I noticed a mistake that would have made tuning impossible.
    The carburetors are made up from the scrap bin. I've got no idea what the bodies were originally from.
    For those unfamiliar with Mikuni round slides, the cutout on the slide faces the aircleaner - there is a guide pin to maintain alignment.
    It wasn't till I was setting up the throttle cable that I noticed the RIGHT slide was in backwards. For some reason this body has the guide pin on the opposite side to all the others.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My correction was to mill a 2mm slot @ 180 deg to the original one.
    The other option was to re-pin the body but this looked easier - I can't see an issue with the extra slot as the upper section of the carb body is sealed.

Time will tell it I have made a mess of this.
    I do have a few more throttle slides to play with if I've cocked this up, and even another set of average condition GT250 bodies when I give up on this folly!
  17. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Suzuki GT250L - Front Brake Caliper

Another case of going through the parts bin and making what I can from the pile of junk.
    Pulled about 5 calipers apart - between corrosion, road rash, broken bleeders and stripped threads, I've managed to make two complete calipers form the bits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A few of the pistons put up a bit of a fight but I was up for it.
    Drilled a grease nipple into an old banjo bolt and made a spacer from ally. Easily pushed the most seized piston out.

[​IMG]
    My sandblaster is still in bits after the Embroidery Workshop build so I had to resort to paint stripper and a bit of elbow grease.

[​IMG]
    Have one set of seals ready to go. The 2nd I will throw a kit in as a spare.

[​IMG]
    All critical mounts taped and a lick of high temp caliper black.

[​IMG]

All bolted up with a machined disc, new hyd hose, new pads, new fork leg bolts, plated caliper bolts and a stainless bleeder.

The only thing that is missing is the "SUZUKI" sticker.

:-)
    Pezz_gs, Scoozi, zzzak and 8 others like this.
  18. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice work!
    Damian_74 likes this.
  19. Damian_74

Oddometer:
    Jawa outfit - New tank

Back at sea for a while - down time after work leads to too much time online searching the globe for parts.

Found a new tank and side covers.

SHMBO and Little Miss took pity on me......opened my package and sent some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colour wasn't as close as I expected - will have to repaint the chair now!
    This might be the trigger for another nut-and-bolt resto! :)

[​IMG]
    Pezz_gs, Scrivens, 3legs and 5 others like this.
  20. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, nice find!
    3legs and Damian_74 like this.