Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Underboning, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Monday

Monday Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you guys are coming through Indianapolis and need anything, let me know! I've really been enjoying your trip (I can't count the number of people I have told about it). Take care and ride safe!
    ~Dave
  2. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Welcome back to the States Colin and Re. The adventure's not over, it's just a new chapter. No need to rush home to Portland, as it's raining cats and dogs...again.
  3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    welcome back home! I know how bittersweet the feeling can be! just think of it as time to plan your next journey. I see you might be heading to younstown OH, if you need anything,(BEER!) I'm half an hour away in PA.
    I've tried to keep up with your travels, what a great trip you both had! my girlfriends brother lives in chang mai, probably heading back there next march. might hit malaysia after reading how much you enjoyed it.
    again, thank you for taking us along.
  4. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, we just sprung the bikes from the Eva Air warehouse and they are now back at the hotel. That's the good news, the bad news is that LAX Customs is refusing to stamp our Certificate of Location in our Carnet. Without that stamp we can't get our deposit back. :baldy We are here until we can get this sorted out. I have e-mailed the CAA (the issuer of our Carnet) for guidance and hopefully will hear something tomorrow. I have also filed a complaint with the Customs and Border Protection Complaints Office, but they said it usually takes 30 DAYS!!! to get a resolution. WTF?!? Our biggest delay today was that we had to wait for the USDA?? hold on our bikes. They needed to check the wood that our crate was made out of, even though the crate came with a certificate specifying that it was made out of engineered lumber. :becca This is worse than India. Needless to say, we won't be on the road at 6 am tomorrow.
  5. Scooterchick

Scooterchick And then what?

Oddometer:
    oh my, what a bummer. :ddog But you know with other countries sending us toys that were supposedly "inspected" and stamped that they were good...but were in fact chocked full of LEAD, I can kinda understand them wanting to check things out with the wood for themselves. There ain't no telling what kind of bug or critter could do damage once it is transported into the states. But wow, what an inconvenience!

sorry you guys or having to go through this. Good for you for filing complaints! :deal I'm all for that one....ha.
  6. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you thinking of turning around and heading back to Asia?
  7. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you guys made it back home. Thanks for all the stories and pictures, it's been really fun to follow your travels.

I had to laugh out loud, with empathy of course, when hearing of your bureaucratic delays upon coming back to the orderly, safe, computerized competence of the good ol' U.S. of A.

I did an 8 month round the world trip many years ago through mostly 3rd world countries where I found myself in dubious situations numerous times and always managed to come out of it unscathed. My first night back in the U.S. I got mugged, beat up and spent the night in the hospital. It was so ironic that I was giggling betwen punches while fighting for my life.

Safe travels on you way back to the North West.
    Tim
  8. Yank-n-Asia

Yank-n-Asia wanderer

Oddometer:
    Welcome home...to the increasing overzealous bureaucracy that has developed in the US.
    This is one reason why I now live in Asia where rules also exist, but everything is far more flexible and negotiable.

I truly hope you don't have to wait a ridiculous 30-days to receive an answer from the Border & Customs.
    OTOH, should you be stymied by their red tape, I can foresee the following repeated for a month:
    Mon: In-n-Out burgers; Tues: Pachanga; Wed: Cafe Versaille...etc., etc.
    Repeat for 30-days and you'll likely regain the 40-lbs you'd once acquired in El Segundo and maybe even find your lost wallet :D

Good luck!
  9. CB160

CB160 another old fart....

Oddometer:
    Sorry you had to return via LAX it's the worst port in the country for 'red tape'...
    I deal with it every day/all day...sad.....
    I'll try to get you a number tomorrow morning at work that may be of some help....
  10. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I can't believe all the hassles you are having at LAX. Hopefully you'll get good results from your insurer and be able to get on the road soon. If there's anything else I can do for you, give a shout - you've got my number, or if you just want to hang someplace, give a call.

If for some reason you're still around on Friday (although I hope it's all cleared up by then), come by the Rock Store and have lunch with the group.

jdg
  11. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Are you headed back to NC?
  12. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Only about 4000 times a day! :lol3
  13. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Dang! We only got mugged by the Customs and Border Patrol Office and that was bad enough. We spent the night with a bottle of bourbon and the NBA Finals, so I think you definitely got the worst of it!
  14. Underboning

Oddometer:
    I can't afford to gain any more weight right now, all of my shirts seem to be a bit snug since Malaysia. :eek1 Plus, I don't really want to afford the cost. We ate dinner at In-N-Out last night and, while it was delicious, the meal cost as much as a night at the Star Lodge in Georgetown!
  15. Underboning

Oddometer:
    We may have a glimmer of hope this morning! I e-mailed the Carnet issuer last night and explained our situation. They responded this morning with a possible solution. We are awaiting a return e-mail right now to find out if we can leave today. We obviously wont be on the road at 6 am like we had planned (since it is 7:45 right now), but hopefully we can get on the road around lunchtime?!?
  16. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Our plan is to head up through eastern Oregon and then to Portland. We will be there for a few days and then w will load all of our worldly possessions (which aren't many anymore) into a U-Haul and then head for NC via Ohio (maybe). After that...?
  17. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Well wherever it is when you finally stop, let me know so I can send you a congratulatory bottle of Scott's BBQ Sauce (much better than Champaign).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    :freaky
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I have been reading along since this threads inception and while I am sad that international portion has come to an end I sincerely look forward to any future adventures that you are willing to share. This has truly been one of THE most epic ADVR threads EVER!!!! Oh, and welcome back to the U S of A !! :freaky
  19. DutchIV

DutchIV n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been eagerly reading about your adventure. Thanks for sharing it.

I see where you're headed toward North Carolina possibly through Ohio. If you happen to be on Rt 33 heading to I-77 on your way. Wave at me when you go through Logan, OH :clap

I've been riding Vespas for the last few years but haven't had the time or guts to do any really long rides.

I really admire your spirit of adventure.
  20. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Got to ride with Colin and Re a bit on Wednesday as they headed out of Los Angeles for points North and East. We met at Jay's Shell at the 210 & 2 and ran (walked?) up to Newcomb's Ranch for lunch and then back to Upper Big Tujunga where they made a right towards home and I headed back down the 2 and my place.

It was a bit different to be on the Helix and have the most horse power :lol3 We did most of the uphill portions at 30-35MPH and actually hit a bit over 40 on a couple of the down hill runs.

There were several comments about their steeds and their journey from others up there. Most were utter amazement mixed with some disbelief.

Ride safe guys...

[​IMG]
    IMG_0832.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0834.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0836.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0837.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0838.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0839.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0840.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0831.jpg by jdgretz, on Flickr

(OK, that one is from Monday night at Versailles)

jdg