Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Underboning, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Beltho

Beltho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stumbled across this thread about a week and a half ago and finally caught up a couple of days ago. Congrats on making it around the world! (Figures that you'd run into bureaucratic hassles back here in the US.) I found your ride report while researching the Symba as I try to decide whether or not to upgrade from my SYM Mio 50. Based on your adventures I'm convinced it's a solid ride! I think you've got a book in all this - it's a fascinating read.

-Jim-
  2. Ronnie Ventura

Ronnie Ventura Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in big-bike country! :D

Gosh ... we are already missing you guys badly in Malaysia :cry

Everyone else on this thread – do come over and ride Malaysia!

Ronnie
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    it's amazing to see how mmuch you can do with so little! Lovely! thank you for sharing
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed your RR immensely. I will be on a ride myself for the next week and may miss the end of your trip since I won't have internet access. I will of course catch up when I can. Thinking about the end of your trip reminded me of a scene from Forest Gump. He has just run back and forth across the country several times and has picked up quite a large group of followers. Then he stops and says "I'm tired. I think I'll go home now." Then one of his followers says "Now what? What are we supposed to do? (or something to that effect).

That will be us...all your loyal followers.

So what are we supposed to do when your RR comes to an end?:huh

:rofl
  5. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    That will be us...all your loyal followers.

So what are we supposed to do when your RR comes to an end?:huh

l[/QUOTE]

GET A LIFE-----Just kidding:rofl

,Its been a great read and I can sympathise with the mixed feeling you would be having returning home on one hand comfort ,friends ,family etc on the other the same old routines, restlessness, the need for a new destination ,I was only in S.E. Asia for 5 weeks and moped around the house for several more when I returned :cry.
    I think you may find it hard to settle for a fair while.
    All the best :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  6. Yank-n-Asia

Yank-n-Asia wanderer

Oddometer:
    No doubt onlookers were in utter amazement. Your motos may have been the smallest displacement bikes ever to stop at Newcomb's! For many decades the winding mountainous Angeles Crest Hwy has been a major attraction for big bikes, and Newcomb's is THE place to stop and share stories.

Thanks for your trip update...
  7. CB160

CB160 another old fart....

Oddometer:
    Wow, would have loved to have met up with you on Hwy 2. I don't suppose you got any hassle by the CHP up there..just
    'burning along' on your bikes, eh? I haven't been up there in years (on the ZX10, hehe) but it's a beautiful ride (for LA standards)...I hope you had time to wander down PCH and see the beaches while you were here.
    I've been following along and having a great time with you...
    Can't wait for the next trip! :D
    Get home safe!
    GT
  8. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just had lunch with a friend who grew up in Malaysia during the Emergency... in the 50's and into the 60's. I've got a new list of places to see. I'll be back tomorrow to KL... will see how I go on the way north.
  9. KeithTurk

KeithTurk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait... damn it man... I want more!!! Fun report guys...

K
  10. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I shouldn't mention that the new family compound is about 30 minutes from Scott's, we can't wait!
  11. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Glad that you enjoyed it!
  12. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for all your help and company, John. It was fun to ride with you and have lunch at Newcomb's. Now you have a taste of riding the world at 35 mph! It takes a while. :lol3
  13. Underboning

Oddometer:
    We are missing Malaysia, too! It's hard not to compare everything here in the States to Malaysia or other places we've been. And we can second the recommendation - do go over and ride Malaysia!
  14. Underboning

Oddometer:
    That's what she said! :lol3
  15. Underboning

Oddometer:
    You're on your own on that account, we're still trying to figure out what we're going to do!! :lol3
  16. Underboning

Oddometer:
    It's been very hard to adjust to being back in the States so far. I find myself randomly thinking about experiences we've had on the road and people we have met along the way, and I miss them. We are having a hard time enjoying the ride to Oregon since it truly is the end.
  17. Underboning

Oddometer:
    We've only been stopped once since we left LA and that was by an Inyo County Sheriff's Deputy. He thought we were riding too slowly! and made us wait until he checked with CHP. After he found out we were legal, he wished us luck!
  18. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they were able to get your KTM sorted while you were away and it'll be smooth sailing from now on. Enjoy the trip and we'll be keeping an eye on your RR!
  19. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you have one another to lean on during this readjustment period. I can tell you, going through it alone can be brutal.
    If you come through Colorado you have a place to camp and take showers. I live considerably south of Fort Collins.
  20. Underboning

Oddometer:
    We made it into Lakeview, Oregon last night and are headed for John Day, Oregon today. It may be a slower than usual ride today since my axle problem in Malaysia seems to have struck again, this time in the form of a ruined rear wheel bearing. I have the bearing but don't have anything to use as a driver to install it. I have access to tools and shop space in John Day, so hopefully we can make the 210 miles successfully. If not, it may be another roadside repair. The other bit of bad news is that we just found out that this weekend is the Chief Joseph BMW Rally in John Day, so I fear that accommodations will be in short supply. Wish us luck!