1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Underboning, Aug 16, 2011.

1. CDNbiker

CDNbiker Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Is it just me, or have most of the more serious mechanical failures been on your bike and not Re's :huh Maybe she has been looking after her bike better than you Colin? :lol3
  2. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps, but I probably am a little more cautious when working on her bike. I couldn't live with myself if I was responsible for causing her an accident. :cry
  3. Underboning

Oddometer:
    For once, we were up before the sun. Our friends Michele and Bill were leaving this morning at 6:30 for a long drive to Wisconsin. Consequently, we were awake at 5:00 am to be at their house at 6:00. Fortunately, they only live three miles away, so at least we didn't have far to ride. In addition to seeing them off, we wanted to make use of Bill's shop and tools. My rear wheel made a couple of ominous scrapes and screeches as we rolled out of the campground, but at least it didn't fall off on the way to their house. We said hello and goodbye and got to work after they left.

Our first indication of trouble was that the rear axle would not slide out easily. With a hammer and a drift, we were able to persuade it to come out. I found some scratches in the axle which seemed to be the culprit. With the axle out, we removed the rear wheel, and the damage was fairly obvious.

[​IMG]

The right side bearing had collapsed, and the inner race had broken free.

[​IMG]

After I popped out the dust seal, the ball bearings simply fell out into my hand along with some other scraps. Well now, that ain't right. The left side bearing was still intact but was not turning freely, so it needed replaced as well.

[​IMG]

We set the wheel on a pair of woodblocks and used a rubber mallet and a drift (thanks, Bill) to remove the remaining outer race of the right side bearing, and then the left side bearing. With the bearing out, an inspection of the wheel thankfully revealed no further damage. Now it was simply a matter of cleaning up the rear wheel and digging out the replacement bearings and installing them. While Re located the replacement bearings, I found an appropriately sized socket to use as a bearing driver. I gave Re the bearings to match up with the five new ones we have, and that was when she got quiet. Before we left on this trip, we ordered a complete set of bearings from Alliance Powersports, and they had quite apparently, sent us the wrong bearings. We had two bearings that appeared to fit the front axle, one that would fit the rear axle, and two bearings with inner and outer diameters larger than would fit anything we could find on the bike. Huh. Our only choice at this point was to use the one good bearing to replace the destroyed right side bearing and reinstall the not very good left side bearing.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, I didn't destroy it when I removed it, so it's still better than nothing. A few minutes later, we had the bearings installed in the wheel and then used some rouge cloth to remove the scratches in the axle. We reassembled the rear end, adjusted the chain, and gave the wheel a spin. It seemed to be turning freely, so hopefully, the damaged left side bearing will get us to at least Portland. I am sure the bearing damage is a result of my shitty mechanicing in Malaysia when I apparently did not securely tighten the axle nut. After we made it back to Georgetown, I did check the bearings, and they seemed to be fine. In retrospect, I should have just had them replaced when parts and labor would have been cheap and easily available. Dumbass.

Since it was still only 7:00 am, we rode back to the campground, got cleaned up, and had breakfast. Later in the morning, we rode into John Day to do some laundry and see some people.

[​IMG]

Except for a flat front tire at the Dairy Queen, we had a good time. In the afternoon, we returned to the campground for some relaxing before dinnertime. That evening, there was a small get together for us at a friend's house. It was nice to see some familiar faces after so long on the road. We made it back to the campground around 9:30 pm, and it was getting chilly. We decided to skip the fire tonight and just crawl into our bags for an early night.

50 miles. My rear wheel seems to be doing much better.
  4. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could there be a discrepancy in the amount of weight each bike is carrying?:wink:
  5. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar failure on my Zinda in Vietnam a couple of years back. Happened 50 metres from a bike shop.... cost about $2 including labor and new cush rubbers to fix.

In the meantime, I bring greetings to you both from Penang...

[​IMG]

Puss' owner specifically asked me to pass on his warmest regards to you both.
  6. jposttx

jposttx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't say it any better then this - other then maybe adding a God Bless both of you !
    And
    Gracias!
  7. JonWal

JonWal n00b

Oddometer:
    Agreed with this post, I stumbled upon your blog several months ago when I was researching how to go about getting my motorbike licence. Dont ask how.... but I'm really glad I did.

Thanks for putting the time in to create this.
  8. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoy reading your RR, nice pictures and writings. Thank you
  9. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's hard to imagine having the dedication and discipline to write such a beautiful report. I don't think I could find the time in my schedule to work at it. The fact that you have so beautifully and thoroughly shared your experiences, while at the same time riding around the world, is nearly impossible to comprehend. I know all of us who've been enjoying the journey owe you a huge thank-you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  10. Anciano

Anciano Bushpilot

Oddometer:
    Every night when I got home from work I checked to see if there were new posts to your thread. I was disappointed when there were none. I really enjoyed your reports and pictures. Thanks for including us.

Wayne
  11. Renegade_Azzy

Renegade_Azzy Kamen Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the stellar RR... I owe you both at least a beer for teh many hours of good reading and inspiration. Seeing that you enjoy good beers, that shouldn't be too hard.

If you end up in the Pittsburgh area again, there's a warm meal, cold drinks and a lot of tools if the situation arises.

(Oh, and got to say, very jealous of the costs in Malaysia... we just did our second trip last year to Japan and WOW is it different there.)
  12. KYSYM

KYSYM n00b

Oddometer:
    My wife is aware that I read your reports on a regular basis, she now fears that I will take off on my Symba to parts unknown. I showed her how to use the "Find My iPhone App" to locate me wherever I am in range of a 3g tower. That has relaxed her for now.

I appreciate your continuing the story on your return adventures through the USA. I am keenly interested in the compact, neat and orderly way your gear is packed on your cycles. You provided us with a complete inventory of what you started out with on your trip, sometime, when you get a chance, you should let us know what you've kept or added to your equipment list.

Of course, the best thing to pack along is the spirit of adventure and the patience to deal with whatever problems arise along the way. You guys clearly have that in the tool kit.

Lament not that your travels are done, rejoice with us all that they really happened.

Thanks,

KYSYM
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have followed this report from the beginning and am sorry to see it end. It was truly a pleasure following you two on your epic trip. Although your trip is over, I'm sure the memories will be with you for a lifetime.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear from you again and see how you are adjusting to getting back to "normal life"

Thanks again for a great report. I wish you the best for the future and hope you get the chance to take some more great trips.
  14. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    very nice report, sorry to see it coming to a close!
  15. B50Paul

B50Paul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed traveling with you both on your adventure, hope to hear of more adventures and how your life turns out. :clap:clap:clap
    paul
  16. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking me along on your incredible journey! I know it was a lot of work to share it with us. If you ever come to Vermont, give me a holler and I'll show you the best we have to offer! -Tom
  17. scrappyscooter

scrappyscooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you guys make back to NC?
  18. Ivyleague

Ivyleague Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great read and greater journey. My wife is weary of me telling your tale. Maybe I missed it, but did you have a budget when you started? How close did you come, if I may ask without being rude, asking in the name of the eternal quest for "Sunshine"

working starts to make me wonder
    where fruits of what i do are goin
    he says in love and war all is fair
    but he's got cards he ain't showin

well how much does it cost
    i'll buy it
    the time is all we've lost
    i'll try it
    he can't even run his own life
    i'll damned if he'll run mine...(sunshine)

Read more: http://artists.letssingit.com/jonathan-edwards-lyrics-sunshine-j1mgb1n#ixzz203NrISx1
    LetsSingIt - Your favorite Music Community :norton
  19. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, you're back in the US but surely you aren't completely done riding? Hope all is well and decompression is going OK.
  20. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ian! This picture has given us many smiles, we are thrilled that you got it. We miss Puus (and Krishna, too)! Glad you made it back to Malaysia and George Town.