Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Underboning, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    After finding this a few weeks ago on the sym website under reviews I am done reading the whole thing. I also want to say thank you for the time involved in the making of this. I bought a tu250 last September and this report has inspired me to get some luggage and at least do a couple day camping trips. I know it's not nearly as awsome but its a start. Thanks again and good luck :-)
  2. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Underboner,

You guys back in PDX for a while or...? I'm gonna be doing the Scootercannonball this summer and if you are still in PDX I'd love to visit for a day on my way up to AK.
  3. dengwynn

dengwynn AT LARGE

Oddometer:
    Your original (non o-ring) chains require oil for lubrication. It must work inside the links to the pins to be of help it also helps the sprockets last.

Teflon chain lube is ok for an o-ring chain but if it does not have oil it will do nothing for a non o-ring chain. O-ring chains keep their own oil trapped in the link between the o-rings. O-ring chain lubricant exists to lubricate the o-rings.

Your chain cases will keep dirt off of your chain but have a function you were unaware of, chain cases keep chain oil off of you, only needed if the chain was oily. If a non-o-ring chain is kept thoroughly oiled, it will last very well, perhaps as well as an o-ring chain. For the distances you covered it would require oiling the chains thoroughly twice daily.

If you have a chain case, the best option is a chain oiler. A 4 oz can of motor oil with a needle valve and tube to let the oil drip slowly on the chain . That much oil is enough for several days riding. But don't forget to shut it off at night. My chains would go 10,000 miles and show no wear whatsoever.
  4. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:

it's mind blowing what you experienced for that amount of money. that is really an awesome accomplishment. how many people do we all know who spend that kind of $$ on a RV/camper or boat before they get out of the driveway. i have enormous respect for the two of you, for wanting to experience things, and thinking outside of the box.
  5. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, nice to see someone discover this report. An excellent account, it was one of the stories that got me hooked on this site!
  6. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see some folks are still enjoying our Ride Report! I just re-read the whole thing last week. It's amazing how much I had forgotten :huh

Me and my Symba recently made the local news here in Portland - We appear around the 1:40 mark. Re was smart enough to stay home for this ride.

Also, Binh (Dabinche) stopped by last weekend for a couple of nights on his way to Alaska for the Scooter Cannonball. You may remember that his trip to Alaska on a Symba was our original inspiration for taking the SYMs. He commented that he forgot how small a Symba was. I have to admit that his SH110 looked pretty spacious in comparison.
  7. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Nice video!
  8. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Hey Colin - good to see you're still causing problems where ever you go :D. I can't believe (well, actually I can) that some dolt is going to try to get the city council to cancel the event.

Shame we don't do something like that around here.

Take care and love to both.

jdg
  9. JonWal

JonWal n00b

Oddometer:
    Same here. Great report. Kinda sad that they all have to end.
  10. fastxr

fastxr 2015 CRF250L, 2016 PCX150, 2018 Tracer 900

Oddometer:
    This was probably the single best trip report I've ever read. An inspiration.
  11. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i agree. i've thought many times about this rr. there is so much here. i've tried to tell my riding buddies how awesome your trip was, but i can't seem to do it justice. i ride an aprilia, 1000 cc, and the most i've ever done in a day is about 600 miles, mainly couple hundred day trips. i could never do what you did, but it goes to show how the spirit of riding is the same, no matter what you ride. i really really enjoyed reading this and was sad when your journey had ended. can't thank you two enough for sharing it with us.

the personal side really added a lot to your story. again thanks for sharing everything, it made it a great read.
  12. RudyS2MT

RudyS2MT Rudy in MT

Oddometer:
    Helena, MT; mountains and dirt roads all around...
    I was late to the party but very, very appreciative for all the work you two put into sharing this amazing ride with us here! Just now finished reading the whole thing and I am constantly telling friends and my Lass about you two and your adventures.

I have followed many great ride reports here on ADVrider but the ones that get my attention have been the small bike ones. And your's really took us all along for the ride!

I just "downsized" after going from a Dakar 650 to a Triumph Scrambler 900 and finally ending up with a much better sized CRF250L. I am loving this little bike! I have 500 miles on it and feel I have arrived with my adventure partner. Might seem too easy to you after your travels (and mechanical work) with the might Syms!

I am wondering where you have landed for now. It sounded like you were in NC but with the Portland Allyway ride story I am wondering if you are back in Portland, OR????

We are in Helena, MT but go to Portland to see our Son and his family many times a year. Love to take you two out for dinner in the Rose city anytime!

Thanks again for many enjoyable hours on the road with you two!

Rudy in Montana
  13. Underboning

Oddometer:
    We are, indeed, back in Portland, Oregon. We tried the East Coast thing for a while, but ended up back in Portland again. Let us know when you are heading this way and maybe we can meet up for a meal or a beverage!
  14. Tonyx

Tonyx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Colin and Re,
    I registered here after reading your story. Super ride report and thanks for sharing your experience.

Got to ask, what is your next step?
  15. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed the ride! And welcome to The Asylum :lol3

We're not really sure about next steps, we're not really sure what we'll be doing tomorrow! (Well, probably working :cry) Right now we are back in Portland, OR. We have to save up some pennies again, so it's back to being responsible adults for a while.

On the other hand, Dabinhche just rode a Honda Elite 110 to Alaska and his Symba ride to Alaska was one of our original inspirations. Hmmm...
  16. Comanche6

Comanche6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread - and am happy I found it rather than never knowing it existed. As you can see by my avatar, I rode an underbone - a Honda Super Dream - during the 1 1/2 years I lived in Hue, Viet Nam. That's my wife perched on the back.

Riding that little 110cc beast brought me back to motorcycling. I have a few years on you, Colin (I'm 71) but still have a lot of wanderlust in me.
  17. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to go back and review; what a great journey.
  18. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    WOW, I just found this thread, and read the first page. This looks awesome, and I will definitely be reading the entire thing as time allows. The trip is epic, but the awesome pictures and writing style set this report apart from the rest. Your wife must be an awesome lady to want to do a trip like this. Given her pose with the jacket on page one, she just must be a happy, fun loving person to be around. You are lucky to have someone like that to travel with.

As far as the bikes, I think the Honda Wave 110 EFI would be small, but even better and more capable. I have a CRF100 for when I want to ride something tiny, small can be so much fun !!! I hope you guys find good jobs, and save up quick.. I cant wait to see your next adventure :D
  19. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    One question for you.. My view is that backpacking would be downright boring if you did not have a bike to ride around and go where you wanted, but I have never tried it either. Given that you have now done both a backpacking and motorcycle trip, would you ever be happy backpacking again ??? Do the two even compare on the fun scale ???

Mike
  20. HelloPitty

HelloPitty Motorbike Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I am inspired by this thread! I lost some sleep wanting to get through the entire journey. Loved every minute of it.