Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Underboning, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are really different experiences. When we were backpacking we wondered what it would be like to ride and a couple of times while we were riding we were missing just sitting in a bus or train and letting someone else do the driving. Public transportation kind of limits you to the tourist trail and you can certainly go wherever you want when you have your own wheels, but you also have to ship, import, and maintain those wheels.

I would definitely do another backpacking trip sometime, but I'm sure we would end up renting bikes here and there.
  2. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it! Now it's your turn to go out riding and write one for us. :D
  3. HelloPitty

HelloPitty Motorbike Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    My plan is to ride to Colorado one day to visit my brother.
    There's a part of me that wants to buy a Symba and do the ride...believe me I've looked at them, love the looks of them.

I'll likely ride my Vespa LX150 though as that is what I own.
  4. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Small bikes can be so much fun :D I have a Honda CRF100F I ride around when I want something tiny and light. If I were going on a long road trip with a small bike, I would not take a scooter... I just don't like them, and they can be more problematic than motorcycles, and just have to many downsides. The Symbas were a good choice, better than a scooter, but not the best either...

For a long distance ride on a small, super lightweight bike, I would take the Honda Wave 110i. Fuel Injection, Crazy Good Fuel Economy, great performance for its size and weight, reliable like a motorcycle, Front Disc Brake, full size wheels for a better ride. will be able to tackle the worst roads and trails, and works and shifts like a motorcycle :D This just beats the pants off any scooter out there...

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/honda/2014-honda-wave-110i-ar164567.html

Mike

Attached Files:

5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The Wave is the Super Cub. The Symba is a copy.

I have 2 2013 Super Cubs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Cool !!! I did not know that... Thanks for the info. I would definitely want the Fuel Injection, it makes a huge difference in the way a bike runs, and its fuel economy, especially when going slow on dirt roads. Not that fuel for bikes this size is expensive, BUT it makes a huge difference because you don't need to carry so much fuel when you have EFI :1drink I got an EFI CRF250L, and OMG, it just AWESOME !!! I giant improvement over any carbureted bike I have ever had.

I also like the styling of the Honda Wave a lot more, but that is not so important. I just cant imagine that the Symba copy would even compare to the Honda in reliability or the way they perform.
  7. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Colin and Re,

First time poster here. I just had to congratulate you and thank you for this wonderful thread/journal.

I never would have found the thread, and I never would have found advrider.com, if it weren't for that I stumbled upon the "Symba 100" a week or so ago. Researching the bike a bit is how I stumbled upon your RTW thread.

I don't suppose I'd have ever joined Adventure Rider since, really, I'm not an adventure rider. There was a time when I traveled extensively. But that was all on four wheels. One exception; I did cross the USA on a Yamaha XS 850 once. But that was thirty years ago. These days I stay much closer to home. And I avoid my car. (I could even do without it. But that's another story.) Almost all of my getting around these days is done on two wheels. This means that I face up to any weather. It has to be pretty extreme to stop me.

Snow? Rain? Not a problem. I'm wearing clothes that feel like pajamas. When I stop at the store for a pop I watch the people scurrying across the parking lot from their cars, with their heads drawn down as far into their collars as they can possibly get them. They look to me as though they're nearly in tears. While I have my sleeves rolled up, I'm sometimes actually steaming, and thinking, "Hm. Nice evening."

So, if not an adventure rider, maybe I'm a kindred spirit?

I'm a life-long bicyclist. And I smile, by the way, while doing it. It's too bad, isn't it, that so many bicyclists seem to take themselves a bit too seriously? I also have a strong love for mopeds. As opposed to scooters. I like scooters. But there's a difference. And I strongly prefer mopeds.

But if there's any actual mopeds on the market these days, they're few. And I probably don't want to pay the price. (Not until my mortgage is paid off anyway) So I build my own. Yup, we're talking about those cheap little engines mounted on a bicycle. But it's still a moped to me.

That's probably enough intro for now. So..........I was browsing photos of old mopeds, looking for ideas for future builds. And I came across a photo of the Symba 100. I thought it was a nice looking bike and started looking for more info on it. I was a little surprised to learn that it was a descendant of the old Honda "C" series. But I had pretty much forgotten those bikes anyway.

But that bit of info got me even more intrigued. So I started watching youtube reviews of the Symba and such. And came across some link where the guy asked, "Have you seen this?" And that link took me to this thread. From your very first post, I knew that I wanted to read this whole thing. I'm up to page 35 as I write this.

I've never, never, read a thread that has absorbed me as much as this one. As far as my level of interest, and feeling as though I, myself, am in the story goes, only great novels have equaled this thread. There's no doubt that, like a great novel, I'll read this thread more than once.

Naturally I already think of you both as friends. While I obviously don't really know you that well, maybe it's comparable to some fellow employee. One who works so distantly that neither of you knows much about just what the other does. But you make small talk in a friendly manner. You kinda know each other. And their presence is comforting. The fact that you can put that much of your personality into a mere road report says something for your writing skill.

I am so, so pleased for you that you were able to grab life by the horns and do something so astounding! I've established a few 'free spirit' credentials for myself in the course of my life. But nothing anywhere nearly as dramatic as yours.

And your thread has made me feel as though I know the Symba 100 as well. I can't tell you how great that feels.

(I'll probably never get one for myself, even though I want one. Because I have other options that are more versatile and less expensive. But I do have a twenty-one year old daughter who's no slouch on two wheels. And, during these last few years that I have any influence at all, I'm trying to dissuade her from relying on the automobile every day of her life. This endeavor seems to be balanced on a knife's edge. But she's showing me some reason to hope. Maybe this cute little girl would like to be seen riding on a cute little bike. Hmmm......there just might be a Symba in our future. Besides, if I bought it for her, then surely I'd get to ride it from time to time, right?)

Anyway........terrific story! Wonderful thread! You've certainly earned my respect.
    Underboning likes this.
  8. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods n00b

Oddometer:
    What the heck?........I'll throw in a couple of photos of my main rides.
    DSCN0305 02.jpg finised left side.jpg finised right side.jpg
    The motored bike was meant to be a tribute to a 1940 Victoria (an extinct German brand). I came kind of close. But it also looks like a lot of other bikes of the same era.

So it's sort of a generic tribute.
    anotheroldfart and sophijo like this.
  9. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    How many miles do you have on your chinagirl?
  10. Underboning

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed our trip, too!

Hmm, RTW on a powered bicycle?? If you could remove the engine and stow it in a bag, you could cross borders that would be closed to motorcycles! (China, Vietnam, Burma, etc.)
  11. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a quick word of thanks too. I just found this and read it start to finish. Great reading and showed the lows as well as the highs. Congrats on a great adventure and thx for sharing.
  12. Juanillo

Juanillo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Colin and Re, perhaps you will find it funny, someone to write you so far after the end of your trip, but I had to!!: I discovered your RR some weeks ago and found it so good, that I had to read it all since the beginning... Having had a lot of fun, the least I can do is just to say "many thanks" for your time, good writing, and for having shared experiences in a so open and friendly manner... Having owned several bikes (some in top of the 1000 cc), your RR open eyes with regards to the enjoyment and convenience that one can get on a tiny bike. Again: thank you!.
  13. OBIWAN

OBIWAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started reading this ride report many years ago and then forgot about it for some reason. Then just last week I rediscovered it again and read from the beginning to the end. That was quit a party ya’ll had many years back now. Hope you still have those bikes because I don’t think you can buy them any more.

I was glad you gave that break down of the cost of a trip like that. It was good that you did that trip while you were young. I’m 68 and retired and have the time and money to do that kind of ride for a long as I want. Only problem is , we don’t always have control over how our health will go in these years and I no longer have the energy it would take to do such a trip. It was good that you did such a trip while you could. I really enjoyed the read, it was excellent. Thank you. I wonder what you guys are doing now that it’s been several years since that trip.