Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Underboning, Aug 16, 2011.

1. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Wow! Speedy recovery you two. Thanks for updating us.
    Underboning likes this.
  2. LS650

LS650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed reading your report many years ago, and I was dismayed to see your latest update. Hopefully you will both be mended and back on the road asap!
    Underboning likes this.
  3. Underboning

Underboning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought that I'd have a hard time mentally getting back on a bike after the accident. Once I could use my left arm reasonably well, I took my Yamaha C3 for a short ride around the neighborhood and even visited the crash site. Weirdly, I didn't feel nervous or scared. I guess it's because I still have no memory of the crash? I remember waiting at the red light and chatting with Rebekah and then I remember going into the CT scanner at the ER. Very different from when I hit a deer at about 50 mph in the late 90s on my Concours, after that I didn't ride after dark for almost a year.

My real problem is still physical. Five of my rib fractures were near my spine and apparently that is where the serratous anterior muscle should attach. That muscle holds your shoulder blade against your ribcage. Mine has apparently not healed well, so I get a pain in my shoulder blade if I push my left arm forward too much. So steering, particularly wide handlebars, and braking cause a lot of pain, still. I can ride for 45-60 minutes before it gets too uncomfortable, but my Physical Therapist is helping me work on it.
  4. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt, but I'm glad to know that you're fighting for full recovery. Keep working at it! Prayers for your healing!
    Underboning likes this.
  5. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Persevere, my friend. :super
    Underboning and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  6. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    After I received 3rd degree burns and skin grafts on both arms, I couldn't bend my arms more than about 20 degrees when they took the arm boards off. First day in physio I was greeted with their big sign "No Pain, No Gain" Great. But trust your physio's, and do what they tell you. Took months before I could touch my shoulders again but have enjoyed full mobility since. Sorry about your accident but glad you were able to share it with us, now take the time to heal and be well.
    Underboning and DC950 like this.