1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Underseat tank for HP2

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by bavarian, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bavarian_markus

bavarian_markus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have to take the passenger pegs from the KTM 950 SE

Markus
  2. fredbenz

fredbenz 2 wheel adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody in the Western US interested in sharing shipping costs?

I just sent my payment to Markus for one of the tanks in his next run at the end of this month and am curious if there's anybody else out there who has pulled the trigger or is about to that would interested in sharing the shipping costs. I'm in San Francisco and so for it to make sense, it would need to be someone located in the West - California, Oregon, Nevada or Arizona.

PM me if you're interested.
  3. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Thanks Markus it looks great.:rilla

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    Cory - and much fun with it :wink:
  5. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I bought my Markus aux tank via Africa Queens and ran into a problem. They didn't send the instructions, nor did they glue the rubber protection to the tank, nor did they send the vent hose. Markus was very kind and sent me all those things, plus instructions on how to glue the rubber to the tank. Thanks Markus!

I'll hopefully get enough time to install the tank in the next month.

I also recently bought the adapter kit for the KTM 950 SE footpegs. I went out to buy the KTM pegs today -- and I thought BMW was expensive. Ouch! :eek1
  6. Warthog

Warthog TeutonicChronic

Oddometer:
    You crack me up....you posted a picture of a box, contents still inside. :lol3
  7. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D Naturally I left in the am and my tank arrived in the pm........... Ever the optimist, I had the Jesse bag mounts off and the pump harness in place. Deutsch post sucks. First thing I opened when I got home from 12 days in Baja. Humm, was supposed to be a white tank so I could see the fuel level, oh well, it is here and I'll put it in next week after I clean the poor beast up (my HP).

Looking forward to the extra 1.6 liters, very trick part Markus, thanks for the bracket too.:clap
  8. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    My attempt at showing how well it was packaged.:wave
  9. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if anyone has had a difficult time getting the tank in place. I have the 2nd generation that will accept the oem & Ohlin's style rear shock. I had to expand the sub frame after trying to pop it in like Markus does on his video. I even tried some NoMar tire lube on the frame rails adn tank, still no go. I may have pulled the sub frame in when I mounted my Jesse Bags? Regardless, a scissors jack to the very back of the sub frame until the taillight assembly crackled, tank popped right in after that. Don't want to spread it too far or the front mounting bracket will be a handful to attach.

Can not get the back of my seat to line up with the quick latch, have to ask Markus about that. Seems like the back seat mount and tank indentation are off a hair. The rear of the tank will move down, but as the seat is depressed at the back the pin is too far back Had to stop due to Super bowl stuff.

Any one else having fitment issues?
  10. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    you have a PM :clap
  11. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Markus:
    Thanks for the fast and informative PM - This really is a great addition to the HP2 that you have created. I appreciate it. Michael
  12. sandyman

sandyman the wasp

Oddometer:
    hello Markus,
    I have just received the tank and pump, thank you very much. Now I have to find the time to install it and the ohlins damper.

one question: when I shake the tank I heard a bling bling metalic noise near the cap. I can't see inside the tank to check if it's normal or not ?

thank you to confirm that everything is ok

regards
    fx
  13. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    the bling bling is no problem - simular like this :freaky
    :D :D :D
    The aeration valve have two balls inside. one is a swimmer ball and one is a metall ball. the swimmer have to close the valve when fuel is to high. the metall ball have to close, when you roll over (drop down) the bike.

ok?

kind regards, Markus
  14. sandyman

sandyman the wasp

Oddometer:
    thank you Markus, understood!:clap
    vielen Grüss
    fx
  15. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    Francios :clap

par hasard entrevue 03.07.-05.07.2009
    BMW Motorrad Days – Garmisch Partenkirchen (Germany)
  16. 420

420 Sweden

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I mounted my "markus-tank" and it wasnt without a little hazzel put finally its in place. The size of the tank is at the edge and the tolerances is very small. But it does fit and it fits perfect.

[​IMG]

I placed the pump as Markus suggested and I like the position because it is very easy to reach in case of any problem. And yes, it is an Odessy PC545 battery.

[​IMG]

It wasnt easy to get the alu-bracket in place with the rubber between the tank and the bracket. But it is possible and when its in place I think it has som "rally feeling" to it.

[​IMG]

Behind the tank I choose to cut out a piece of the fender and then use a piece of the same kind of rubber as Markus sent, so that dirt doesnt get up under the seat. Very easy and I think it will work just fine.

[​IMG]

I had some problem getting the seat in place and I had to use my grinder. You can see why and where in the picture.

[​IMG]

And finally. Markus you have done a very well performed work.
    I bow and lift my hat.

/Stefan - Sweden.
  17. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    Stefan - and have much fun with it! Perhaps we see us in the future :clap

Markus
  18. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I returned from Baja, I stripped off my Jesse bag hardware - I decided to sell them and make the HP2 more dirt-friendly with a soft bag set up and leave the big luggage on my 12 GS -. I still believe that a solution can be worked out for the luggage hardware if you take you bike to Al in Phoenix. I had to use a scissor jack to spread my sub-frame a bit to get the tank in. I cut the air pump lump off my seat pan as well and made an opening for the cap.

I ran the tank empty without hooking the fuel lines up, etc to test it. I managed to wear the rubber off the very back of the tank with my 18" 908 jumping it. I'll probably use a piece of sheet metal to protect the rear of tank and fabricate a bracket to hold the rear up as high in the frame as possible - it should work out fine.

I finished my pump install, used a slightly different pump location and decided to replace the plastic male disconnects while I was fiddling with the fuel lines. I used a metal T-ee as well. I ran the main tank for 55 miles on a fast two track, then pulled over to see if the aux tank would fill the main back up. About 5 minutes run time and it sounded like the aux was empty. I watched the main fill and sloshed the rear with the cap off - seemed dry. The main filled almost to the top. Riding hard, that added another 55 miles of range. The best I ever did was 130 on the main in Baja with a mix of slow technical and fast two-track. I'm betting wost case 190 miles, best case 220 for my riding style. This gives me the range I need for almost every trail condition. Did not even notice the fuel cell under the seat - adds the missing component! I went with the version #2 tank, so I can run the air shock or my Wilber's - which is sitting in Ted Porter's shop waiting for a spring swap - a plug for Ted, he has been great to work with.

few shots below. Since I was changing the fuel connects, I pulled the tank which makes the whole process so much easier. I'll post up my rear bracket solution when I get it installed. I am also going to use a momentary switch and a remote LED light where I can't miss it so I know when the pump is active. I have my pump wire to my Canbus helper, so it will only activate when the ignition is on.

Thanks Markus -
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/z/ztrab_f28af51e.jpg%3Ft%3D1234543330

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/z/ztrab_th_c453616b.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/z/ztrab_th_78722c1c.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/z/ztrab_th_f1e252d1.jpg
  19. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    Hey Markus,

I got the tank installed today. You made it look too easy in your videos! I had to shave a tad of material off the tank, at the top skinny end of the tank to get it to fit into my frame. It's a tight fit.

Getting all the plumbing set up just right was quite a fussy job for me, too. I might go over that again and re-do some of the connections with different shaped joints as some of the angles aren't ideal. And some of the hose lengths are all a little bit off. But nothing major.

Thanks for putting together the quality kit Markus!

You have beers waiting for you in BC whenever you're ready.
  20. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    perhaps its better to order by me :clap

I make a test assembling with every tank. The only problem wich could be is with the seat - because every HP2 seat is different :huh

Kind regards,

Markus