1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Underseat tank for HP2

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by bavarian, Apr 14, 2008.

1. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I tried the tank out yesterday. It works. :D Thanks again.
  2. Fudmucker

Fudmucker ex-lurker

Oddometer:
    Looks nice !

Have you ever thought of making a similar tank to replace the pillion seat on a GS and Adventure...? There are a lot more GS's than HP2's as a market !

:evil
  3. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lower mounting point described earlier as seen through the side panel
    [​IMG]

The switch in on position

[​IMG]

Off

[​IMG]

I used a 1" section of thin walled aluminum square stock and plastic end caps to mount the switch on my Jesse windscreen/instrument protection bar. The switch is just okay, I had the mount prepared to take a small indicator bulb with a diode and I burned it out when I let the wires touch while testing, so I thought I'll just use a cheap lighted switch I had. Not water proof, but I have had one on my GS exposed to elements for three years and they are simple to replace, so this will probably stay for the duration. I wired my switch through a canbus helper, so it is active only with the ignition on. I like the light so I can always tell if it is off/on. I had a momentary switch temporarily and I couldn't hear the pump with the motor running, earplugs in etc. I ended up overfilling the main tank and the excess ran out the overflow hose... duh. Now I can see if it is on readily. It is great having an extra 60 mile of range. Loving the tank Markus, now if I could just figure out how to post full sized pictures from Photobucket #@!##!
  4. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I peeled a bit of rubber of the tank with my 18 " wheel mounted with a 908. In part it was due to the cap coming into contact with the seat pan and pushing the tank down- I cut out the seat pan. I decided that I didn't want to worry about the rear section of th the tank hitting on jumps with a full aux tank, so I made a very simple bracket with 2" alum. flat stock. Rock solid now, I also carved up the oem under fender and put it back to keep the mud, etc from the rear section. I'll try to post a few pictures - I am pretty lame with the whole insert from photo bucket procedure.

With the rear panels on the bracket is barley visible

Love the tank!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. bavarian_markus

bavarian_markus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank's for loving the tank :shog

Good ideas you implement! In a few weeks I'm ready with the rebuildings of my HP2. I'll put in photos :clap

Markus
  6. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your pictures. Did a 230 mile dual sport yesterday with a few very technical sections, very rough. It was great having the extra range! Had a new Mich. Desert on my 18" wheel. a few black smudges on the rear support - confident that I can crush the rear and not harm the tank. Great work Markus.
    .:freaky
  7. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    is your traction of the rear whell better? I think so.

:wink:
  8. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not notice a difference, but I tend to steer with the rear wheel spinning anyway. I don't feel the extra 12.6 lbs of weight under the seat when the tank is full - I get 1.8 us gallons in it. I feel it is the best fuel remedy out there. Mike
  9. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    I noticed this morning that the aux tank had some fuel in it -- but last night it was empty. Seems like occasionally fuel slowly seeps past the pump and into the aux tank.

I wonder if this could cause a problem -- if the aux tank is full and fuel seeps into it from the main tank?
  10. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Facet FP- 40171 has a built in check valve to prevent this; other models do not and if your pump is lower than the aux tank, fuel will seek the lower pressure. If you have the above model, it may be defective. Worst case - if your main is full, and the there is sufficient static pressure from the aux tank, it will push fuel into the main tank overflow line. Before I put a light on my switch, I inadvertently flipped it on with a full main. When I stopped on the trail and pulled my ear plugs/turned off my radio - I notice the pump was running and gas was coming out of the main tank overflow tube, duh.

I have not noticed any leak down, but I also make it a habit to run the tank dry when I am riding. Be interested to hear if your problem is the check valve or model pump. You can use an in-line back flow valve.

Mike
  11. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    Do you know where the check valve is located? I wonder if it's replaceable of if I'll have to replace the whole pump. The leak isn't that bad. About 1L in 3 days or so. And it slows down considerably once there's about 2L in the aux tank.
  12. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    The pump self have a one way function. The fuel have to go only in one way!!
    If there is a problem, contact the facet service, you have full warrenty.

Kind regards, Markus
  13. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those who might be curious, I was able to swap the air shock out with my Wilber's 642 with no problem, just remove the rear wheel. I have what I call the 2nd generation tank, accepts either shock or rear strut as BMW calls it. I don't know how much more the air shock only tank holds, but I get 1.8 US gallon in mine and have the luxury of switching between the two units. If you are riding off-road, I suggest you look at the back of the tank, especially if you run an 18" rear. The 2" flat strap I put in place takes all of the contact on extreme g-outs. It is small contact area, but this modification takes all the worry out of a possible wear hole. Did I mention how much I love this tank!

The Facet pump 40171 can be purchased from aircraftspruce.com $44.30. If I recall correctly, it is the only one with an integral check valve & no you can't replace the valve. PN is 05-40171; the screw-in filter is PN 479735 for $4.20. I seem to recall that the pump specs the micron quality of the filter, 74 sticks in my head. The pumps are a 5/8" ID thread, you can buy barbs and connectors at any automotive shop and filters, maybe even the Facet pump.
  14. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I put in an order today, together with a few fuel filters.

15. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stock rear fender cut out to still protect the shock and rear tail light section. I filled the small gaps after the pic with silicone to stop water, mud or spray.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to source the pump and switch here in the states to save some cost. I did not do the install. Fellow inmate Funhouse had his installed by a master tech and i was impressed by his work. I contacted him and he agreed to install mine as well. I am very happy with his work and how the tank turned out. To Bavarian Markus you put out an awsome product thank you.

Switch (almost cant tell its there)
    [​IMG]

Pump under the stock tank and on rubber mount. Should be cooler here rather than behind the oil cooler.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the quick disconnects changed to chrome plated brass ones while the install was under way.

Final product
    [​IMG]

Thanks again Markus this is what the HP2 needed.
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I need to buy another complete setup, Markus. This time for your tank that will accept either shock, please.
  17. bavarian_markus

Oddometer:
    the new version is able to fit all shocks I know.

Please contact me!

Markus
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Email sent, Markus :thumb
  19. sleestak

sleestak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Markus,

I'm new to the website and I need to learn the basics about your tank system. What's the total price and who do I buy the total system from?

Thanks for the hard work, you saved me many of hours in making my own :D

Slee
  20. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I received my tank, etc., yesterday from Markus. Very well done indeed!

Has anyone translated the instructions to English? I'd like to do the install work myself, but I don't have a clue what he's saying on the CD.