Understanding '20 AT Cornering ABS ?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by nurber, Nov 18, 2019.

1. nurber

nurber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. I'm reading that the new AT has cornering ABS, but I can find no technical details of the capabilities. My understanding of cornering ABS is that it is most effective when it can regulate both front and rear braking forces, but I don't believe '20 AT has combined braking ( CBS or eCBS ) so just how does '20 AT cornering ABS work ? Some technical links would be appreciated.

Nurber
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I don ´t know about the AT specifically... but usually, when manufacturers speak of ´Cornering ABS´, that refers to a system assisted by a device called IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit), that´s supposed to monitor at least the vehicles pitch, roll and yaw, and if the calculations show a front end washout is about to take place for example, then it should decrease the front brake circuit pressure to prevent this happening.
    In theory.
    This can be operating on a Combined brake system, but I believe it is not a mandatory requirement, and individual wheels could be controlled separately, someone please correct if I´m wrong here.
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I don't see a reason it cannot be active with discrete braking systems. IMUs are a cool piece of tech. Amazing how well they work in drones and how sensitive they are to movement and spatial changes. Not for the Luddites. :)
    Pecha72 likes this.
  4. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Earlier this year, I rode a DL1K 2019 model, that has cornering ABS... and, it was probably the first moto that I´ve ridden, where the amount of rear brake is controlled by the system based on ABS sensors and IMU information. And that means, that the system can decrease OR increase rear brake circuit pressure. I believe this is the first motorcycle, that I have ridden, that has this capability – in fact it was very hard for me to believe at first, because I´ve been under the impression, that ABS can only decrease brake circuit pressure. That is not exactly true any more.
    Can´t say I really explored its behaviour in extreme circumstances... but on tarmac, and even on dirt, it is possible (even though it is not the right technique I know - but I did it just to test it... and besides, when the s*it hits the fan, that is what can often happen!) to just simply slam on both brakes. And the thing will just stop effortlessly, even while banked. I know too much trust in technology is not good. But I would like to see some of the "Luddites" who believe drum brakes and no damn ABS are simply the best thing ever, to actually try it. It works pretty well.
  5. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    So, I'm riding down a steep road that is asphalt surfaced, 'round a corner and immediately the surface is completely replaced by loose gravel just when I need to decrease speed dramatically to avoid the 40 feet of vertical plunge to death. Which braking system will work here? Will cornering abs recognize the predicament? This is not just an academic question, these scenarios exist where I live. Conventional brakes and skills work here but will the new tech?
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neither system, human or computer, can defy physics. The best either can do is not make a bad situation worse by compounding rider error (as per your example).
    Rally mode, abs front with abs off in the rear would likely offer the widest number of options for the rider in the situation you describe.

Though given that they already screwed up full ABS or a parachute might be their last great hope. ;)
    RonKZ650 and Junglejeff1 like this.
  7. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or if you're a Luddite, we just grab a handful of throttle and lean into it.
  8. nurber

nurber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for replies. Ok, so '20 AT cornering ABS works with discrete braking ( not combined braking systems ), but it won't apply the rear brake if only front is applied even though the rear brake might improve the stopping distance or cornering angle. Surely this is some document from Bosch or other describing subtle differences of ABS/MSC versions and just what version is coming on '20 AT ?