1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2. Dismiss Notice

Understanding the Modes on the 790 Adventure R

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Jarrett2, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got the bike and trying to get an understanding on the different modes. The manual says:

Street:
    Homologated Performance with Balanced Response
    Normal Slip
    Anti-Wheelie Active

Rain:
    Reduced Homologated Performance for Better Rideability
    Normal Slip
    Anti-Wheelie Active

Offroad:
    Reduced Homologated Performance for Better Rideability
    High Slip
    Anti-Wheelie Deactivated

Does this mean Rain and Offroad mode have the same throttle response profile different only by the MTC and Anti-Wheelie settings?

When you go from Street/Rain to Offload mode, does that switch it to Offroad ABS mode as well or do you have to set that separately?

Rally:
    Throttle Response Options:
    Street - Balanced Response
    Offroad - Very Direct Response
    Rally - Extremely Direct Response​

Does Rally mode change ABS? Or does ABS have to be manually adjusted in every ride mode?

Finally, what settings do you use on and off pavement?
  2. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Just called KTM support and they didn't have great info.

Did hear that the lean angle stuff deactivates in Offroad mode.

And they said the quickshifter is NOT enabled by default, but mine seems to be?
  3. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe so, but since I rely on Rally Mode, I've forgotten

ABS is on both wheels by default in all modes. You can set this separately in the ABS menu. Each time the ignition is cycled, it resets to full ABS

See above...

I use Rally mode all of the time with throttle set to offroad - rally throttle is too jerky in 1&2 gears for me.
    For on road I leave ABS on both wheels and set TC to 6-7. If its wet, I'll blip it up accordingly. I haven't ridden in a full rainstorm yet, but that might be the time I switch out of Rally and into Rain using those presets. Essentially just Rally with full ABS, TC at 9, and throttle at street.

For off road I set ABS to offroad, TC to 3-4 and change on the fly as conditions change.

Here is a summary I wrote for another post...

In Rally mode you can set throttle level and TC independently from each other, essentially allowing you to replicate all of the other modes while staying in Rally mode. In the other "preset" modes, the throttle response and traction control are pre-determined. ABS is on both wheels by default in all modes.

In addition, you can turn on/off TC in the MTC menu, but you cannot change the preset TC level for each mode. That can only be done in Rally mode.

Likewise in the ABS menu you can toggle ABS between both/front/none.

So if you choose a ride mode other than Rally, you will set the throttle response and the TC level to some pre-determined values, then you can turn off TC completely, and toggle ABS as you choose, but you can't change the TC level or modify the throttle response. Once the key is turned off, the ABS and TC reset themselves, while the ride mode is remembered.​
  4. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Abs stays on offroad more during ign off and it does remember tc setting (rally mode) but if abs set to off or tc off - it will be back on after restart.

Abs is set separately from drive modes.

Edit. If I recall correctly Offroad has more power than rain mode. Those both are survival modes and if planning to actually ride offroad, rally is the best choice.
    DRglidarn, TrailTrauma and EvilSteve like this.
  5. Beeners

Beeners Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, in Rally Mode, the ABS and TC do not reset themselves once the key is turned off -- Correct?
  6. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine stays at the setting i choose for ABS and TC, though sometimes (not always) when in rally mode the throttle response setting will change after power cycling. I frequently use offroad throttle in rally mode to get rid of the twitchy rally reaponse, but set TC lower.
  7. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I actually don't know the answer to this. I thought it kept whatever mode you were in but I'd need to confirm. Meaning, if you set your ABS mode to offroad in offroad mode and then switched to Rally mode, you'd be in offroad ABS mode but I'm not sure.

On road: Rally mode, street throttle, road abs
    Off road: Rally mode, street throttle, offroad abs (I also play with TC and ABS off entirely)

I *thought* Offroad throttle mode was softer than street throttle mode?
  8. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    When in Rally mode, if you have any TC or ABS setting *other than* off, those settings are retained on turning the key off and on again. If you have either (or both) set to off, turning the bike off and on again resets those to "default". I've seen my TC go back to whatever it was in Rally mode (level 3 or 5 or whatever) and ABS goes back to Road.

Very important to keep an eye on this if you're TC/ABS off riding offroad and your bike has a nap. :-)
    TrailTrauma, ramirin and kubcat like this.
  9. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Throttle mode sensitivity while in Rally mode is Rally->Offroad->street
    I do not know if the corresponding ride mode throttle settings are the same, nor do I know of any way to check or confirm.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  10. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the good info so far. Trying to absorb.

Is throttle response separate from power output?

Meaning, the manual says Offroad mode has reduced power overall, but the throttle is more sensitive/jerky?

Or put another way, if you were going to drag race, what settings you use to make you had all the performance you could get?
  11. kubcat

Oddometer:
    no; power out = throttle response
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    This is where I get confused.

In the "static" modes, the manual says:

Street = homologated performance with balanced response
    Offroad = Reduced homologated performance for better ridability

In Rally mode, manual says:

Street = balanced response
    Rally = extremely direct response
    Offroad = very direct response

I take that to mean that Offroad has less power than Street in the static modes. But not sure if it is consistent when going into Rally modes.

Could it mean that Offroad is more jerky but less powerful than Street in both static and Rally modes?
    EvilSteve and Beeners like this.
  13. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    My head hurts :lurk
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    From the many posts that I have read, a lot have people have come to the same conclusion, but I don't see any way to confirm or deny those conclusions that compare throttle responses by various modes, other than by the seat of the pants. Since I prefer to leave it in Rally mode all the time so I can change TC on the fly, getting an answer to that question just isn't relevant to me. I no longer concern myself with which ride mode throttle is quicker/more
    responsive.

What is relevant, that I have observed and others have confirmed, is that while in Rally mode;
    • Rally Throttle is very twitchy and really requires an "all-out" riding style of a pro-level rider;
    • Offroad Throttle is pretty snappy and allows a pretty quick response, but still lets you roll-on more gradually than Rally Throttle
    • Street Throttle is noticably less responsive than offroad
    EvilSteve and Jarrett2 like this.
  15. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Interesting, this is not my experience with Rally mode throttle settings.

Rally- Hits hard off-idle, very abrupt response, full power in higher rev range.
    Street- Smooth response off-idle, spools up quickly, full power in higher rev range.
    Offroad- Very smooth response at all rpm, doesn't feel a strong in higher rev range.
    DRglidarn, nibby, TrailTrauma and 4 others like this.
  16. kubcat

Oddometer:
    From my seat-o-pants dyno, the rollon from stopped is sharper in offroad than in street. As for high rpm response, I am not an aggressive offroader, so I tend to keep it in the 4500-6000 RPM range and tool along. When I'm on the street I will wind it out, but I have never thought to compare top-end throttle response, since the bottom end differences were so obviously different to me. With all of that said, you may well be correct at the higher RPMs. What is your observation of the differences at bottom-end reponse, or do you twist right past those rpm ranges:gdog

Boy, I sure wish someone would crack the ECU maps - thats where all the answers lie.
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I think I agree with @AdvRonski

I quickly tried offroad modes and didn't like since they took away the snappy wheelies needed to go over sudden rocks.

After playing around with modes I set abs to offroad, it has stayed there ever since. Then I put rally mode on and only change between throttle response rally when in mood for active riding and street when just riding.

If in soft sand then tc completely off (it will come automatically back on), otherwise active riding no. 1 and just riding play with numbers 1-9 depending on mood.
    kzeb and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Do you mean Offroad Ride Mode, or OffRoad Throttle setting in Rally Ride Mode? I notice Street Ride Mode is quicker than Offroad Ride Mode, but still stand by my experience of low-end throttle responses in Rally Ride Mode
  19. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    The difference that I notice is that the initial response feels very similar between Offroad and Street throttle modes, but instead of the spool-up power of Street, Offroad doesn't ramp up at all, just staying very linear as it revs. This is good for very technical or low-traction situations, as you don't have to rely on the TC as much, but I prefer Street throttle for the majority of my riding as the smooth initial response doesn't upset the chassis, but the generous horsepower is just a second or 2 away.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I've never tried street ThR offroad. I'm going to try that next season. I found Rally ThR too off/on for my neuropathy, so I dropped into Offroad ThR and never looked back, and never even thought to explore how Street ThR felt offroad.

Good discussion.
    kubcat likes this.