Unexpected Developments......

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Mully, Apr 20, 2004.

1. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just loan your GS to Jean-Luc. Those wheels will be gone in a matter of days!

:hide
  2. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Do what you want. When and if she notices, just tell her to go bake you something~ :evil
  3. k7

k7 Almost retired..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Nah... but the wife is pretty understanding. When I made the decision to get a 9-fifty, I did some quick research and found that my 650 was worth about a grand more than I owed on it. A loan for the 9fift was simple and the payments were going to be about the same.

I ran it by her on a Sunday, she was cool with it, sold the bike on Monday, dropped it off on Thursday to my buddy and picked up the 9/50 on Friday.

No surprises, no problems. But then again, my wife is one in a million too.
  4. ARRRGGGHHNUT

ARRRGGGHHNUT ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer:
    Daaang Mully,
    It's been two months now since you got both. I saw a black one in Paso Robles on the way to the Songdog Howl, it looks soooo good in person. COngrats on both new dudes...:thumb, the puppy is very qute too...
  5. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    Black looks badd as Hell, Mully. Nice ride! :thumb
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Ok Mully, let's have it... you've been sportin' around w/ that new black beauty for a couple months now. What do you think? I've priced 'em around the NorthWet as my dealer never got any and won't til next year. Wasn't interested in the silver. The orange never struck my fancy either... but your black one looks great.

I'm thiiiis close to buying one and having it shipped up but sure would like to hear your opinion now that the honeymoon is drawing to a close. Sooo, comparing it to the GS for dirtroad stuff and commuting, what do you have to say? :ear
  7. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    What he said, Mully. We await with baited breath.
  8. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    For dirt road stuff it's excellent: much better suspension than anything else stock-for-stock, and a rock-solid chassis feel. It's too heavy and too tall for really technical stuff, but even there it's head and shoulders better than an 1150GS.

For commuting, it'd be okay once you get a good seat on it. It's pretty comfortable at 70~75, but above that the wind starts to mess with you. Comfort's really good, with a long seat-to-peg distance and a nice handlebar relationship. I wouldn't hesitate to start for Alaska on it or commute the SoCal freeways to work.

What do I like? Engine/performance, gearbox, suspension performance and adjustability, build quality, ergos.

What do I not like? Seat, serviceability, heat on inner legs (great in winter, not fun in summer).

Other comments: Jesse panniers work great on this bike, as does the Touratech luggage rack and GPS mount. The KTM tank bag is pretty good and a bargain at $99. Pirelli tires are damned good - I was pleasantly surprised at the stick on pavement, and they're better than Tourances off-pavement (though not much). I'm still trying to figure out how to make a cruise control. The fuel tanks are vulnerable to falls, as are the fuel pump, regulator, and battery that live behind the skid plate to rocks if you're offroading. I think it's a good value at the `04 price; it'll be interesting to see what happens to prices on the 1200GS with the way currency values are going.

That's about it. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask.

mully
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    eating bait is bad for you, doc. just say no.
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I do, and the next couple will be a tad tougher to answer...

1) Sound. Does it have a nice rumbly sound to the bike or is it similar to the curious sewing machine noise my GS makes?

2) Visceral feel. Some bikes have a utilitarian feel to 'em that makes them feel just a notch or two above taking the car. Fun, but uninspiring. Other bikes make you feel like kackling in your helmet. I'm not articulate enough to define why, but it seems to me to be a mix of sound, performance and feel. How's the KTM fit here?

3) For your uses, and subtracting the fact that having any new bike is always cool for a while ...would you make the trade again?

4) I'm about 5'10" or so and have a 32" inseam. I tip in at about 225#. Does this mean single cheeking it at every stop or can preload be set to drop it a tad w/out compromising the suspension?

Thanks for the feedback, Mully. :thumb
  11. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    I ain't Mully, so apologies up front. But I do feel as though I can comment with some authority on the visceral feel and sound of the bike. I have owned a bunch of really great bikes in past few years - several Aprilias (Futura, Mille R, Tuono), a BMW GS Adventure with Laser pipe and chip, and several KTMs. I can honestly say that I loved them all. Every single one was a great bike.

I currently have an '03 950 with Akropovics with the plugs out and all of the usual carb and airbox mods. For reference sake, I have always considered V-Twins to be the most viscerally perfect engines on a motorcycle and I have thought of the Ducati sound as the ultimate aural goal.

My 950, as it is currently configured, is the coolest, most kick ass sounding and feeling bike that I have ever been on. I think it out Ducatis the Ducatis. It growls with a deep throated roar on acceleration. It purrs a deep throated purr while cruising. It is loud enough to make me aware that it is no ordinary bike at all times, but is not so loud as to be annoying. It burbles and pops beautifully on slow deceleration and makes a truly beautiful sound on rapid, off-throttle decelerations. The engine vibrates enough to let me know that there is a wild animal hiding beneath the seat, but not enough to drive me to distraction. I feel like the King of My Domain while riding this mother.

The 950 is a sportsbike for people who like to sit upright. I absolutely loved my Mille R, my Tuono and my GS Adventure, but I sold the GS Adventure and the Tuono after I bought the 950 and never looked back.

And none of this takes into consideration how the 950 works on dirt, which is another truly amazing story....

:freaky
  12. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Ya what he said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I am soooo close. :nod
  14. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:

1) Better than a GS
    2) Better than Ducati
    3) Better than my last 25 bikes
    4) I'm Shorter than you and I'm having so much fun I have not noticed... really! :thumb
    2)
  15. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Kirk pretty much nailed it :thumb

I'll add some dirt thoughts. I put a Pirelli MT21 on the front and a TKC80 on the rear. Nice transformation. The front now sticks wonderfully. However I don't think there is a rear knob made that will hold 90ish HP. The down side is with the knobs I have almost quit riding it on the street. I've got 2 other bike that do quite well on the street so why burn off the knobs:dunno Problem is, I miss riding it on the street! Is is WAY too much fun! Specially with the 16 tooth CS sproket.

Mully mentioned it wasn't real comfy over 75... I'm just a bit taller than Mully and find it's not too bad to cruse at 80-85. I have changed the bars to the Pestrata Pro Tapers and that has move me just a tad more forward.

One more supprise. When fully loaded for a weekend it handles MUCH better than my GS does. I wan't expecting that. Probably due to the supperior suspension.

As far as getting rid of my GS? Can't do it...yet... It has it's nitch and it's the bike I'm taking on my 3 week ride in July.

Gerg
  16. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    There are some great answers here, Legion! I'd agree with KirkMoon, Taki, and Gerg on most everything they've said. The 950's really a hybrid with an extended dirt envelope and some compromise on road manners and comfort. I'd say if you need a commuter or "pack mule", the GS might be a better choice, but if you think Smarty Jones would be fun to ride, try the 950. :rofl

Until I've had the chance to do some longer rides on the 950 with gear and supplies, I'm undecided on whether the 950 would be suitable for my only machine. Like Gerg, I'll be keeping my GS for a while.

HTH
    mully
  17. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    No regrets on the bike Mike, it's everthing the guys have mentioned allready.
    I truely miss my 950 and just hearing some of the ramblings reminds me of what a sweet bike it is. Can't wait to swing a leg over one of those puppies again! Oh' and the sound on the Katoom with either Akra's or Remus is Vroooooom!! like a Duc on roids, just awesome! :nod
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments! I'm going out for a few hour ride and when I get back I'll have my decision made but from the sounds of it it's what I like in a bike.

More like the decision's already made ...now I just need to rationalize it. :nod Got a funny feeling I'll take a serious ass whipping when I go to peddle the GS.

Any more thoughts? I'm still listening close! :ear
  19. Robert Saunders

Robert Saunders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    > Thanks for the comments! I'm going out for a few hour ride and when I
    > get back I'll have my decision made but from the sounds of it it's what
    > I like in a bike.

> More like the decision's already made ...now I just need to rationalize it.
    > Got a funny feeling I'll take a serious ass whipping when I go to peddle
    > the GS.

> Any more thoughts? I'm still listening close!

Sorry to ask the obvious but have you test ridden a 1200 and a 950? I can't see how any doubt can remain after that. I took them both for a good ride on the same day (i sent a long story about that to the GSpot, but it might have got 'lost' there; i'll send you a copy if you're interested). After a few minutes on the KTM I couldn't understand why anyone would buy the GS. If KTM were to setup test rides on BMW dealership doorsteps that remarkable technical gadget (the 1200) would become a worst seller overnight. Most folk will read BMW's brochures, their press releases and leaked technical data. And those ARE impressive. But what about a thrilling ride?

The 950 never forgets the most important thing about motorcycling - an exhilarating ride. The 1200 is a good tool for commuting and a bit. The 950 makes moving fun, fun, fun!
  20. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    My 950 is in the shop and my street bike ( Multistarada) is down waiting for a new tire and Sat. is my ride day I usually do a 250-350 mile ride EVERY Sat. today I had to take out my street legal XR 400 never mind its a drag on the pavement I so mised my KTM off road that I'm already home writting this response and its only 3:00 and I did not leave until after 10 NOTHING rocks my boat like the 950 Okay the Multi is a blast on the street but I seem to always see a new dirt road that is begging me to explore I was up at the shop where my bike is today and there sat a shinny new GO!!!!! I started fanasizing that I should buy it to make into my street machine I could put my new 17/19" wheels on it (when they get here) find someone to swap the S suspension for the lower setup and I would never be without my 950 and when I went street riding I could still check out that road when I see it and the pretty blue GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would not get a scratched up like my off road bike does Flanny says he's "seriously obsessed but this is pretty bad and I'm still thinking about it!