Unexpected Developments......

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Mully, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not Mully, either...and my 950 is stone stock...and I'd still say about what he said. It is a snarling beast. I've not had a snarling beast since I sold my 73 Ducati 750 GT. The 950 rates. :thumb

Yeah, it's cackling-in-the-helmet fun to ride. :ricky

I'm 6'-almost-3", long-of-leg, and oh-so-svelte, and I find the 950 to be the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Note that the few hundred miles I put on a 1100 GS to be fairly unpleasant, though the bike performe quite well (although even with Staintune pipe, it didn't do the visceral thing nearly as thoroughly as the stock KTM).

If you really want to experience it intensely, spend two and a half years on a KLR, then get on the KTM... :rofl :rofl :rofl
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Ewwww. Called the dealer 16 minutes after they closed. Saved by the bell... NOT.
  3. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    I have nothing to do with it, you could point the finger at Mully, he started this thread :lol3
  4. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    My bad. :D

Hey, I gotta tell you this! I took the 950 today to go do an errand to the BMW shop to pick up some maintenance parts for the GS. I stop at a light and look over and there's this guy looking at me from an SUV, and he shouts "Awright, man! That thing's really cool-looking!" and he give me two thumbs-up. Well, I gotta tell you, in all my years on GS'es, no one has ever done that!

Then I get to the BMW shop and there's a buncha people looking at bikes, and as I get off, most of them come running over to look at the KTM. One guy and his SO walk around the bike a couple times nodding and start asking me questions as I'm getting my helmet off: "What isthis? Wow! Cool bike!" Again, nobody ever thought my tricked-out GS was that special.

I know it can't be me: it's gotta be the bike....... :evil

mully
  5. Robert Saunders

Robert Saunders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    > I know it can't be me: it's gotta be the bike.......

interesting - i've never taken time off to indulge in compliments for something for which i can take no legitimate credit (i hardly had a hand in designing or building the beast). but now that you point it out the number of folk who have pulled up along side me at the lights to give me a thumbs up is surprising (and unavoidably good for the ego). I always feel like shouting back "but you should RIDE it, then you'll really understand!"

there's a consistent thread running through this thread! it's flavoured with a bit of obsession and true delight that is rare even amongst bikers. it's almost as though KTM have created something truly exceptional by accident.

to flog my favourite dead horse: i used to think the 1150GS was remarkable in a number of ways. and there is no question that the 1200 is a spectacular improvement. but next to the 950 the 1200GS is a badly formed, uninspiring lump. and i'm talking about the important stuff - the riding. still, form follows function in this case.
  6. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Maybe the 'accident' part is pretty calculated. KTM has worked a long time on designing and developing the ADV. There was an entirely different bike ('Frankenstein') almost production ready that went out the window because feedback from the public was disappointing. Now that wasn't much of a suprise IMO... :puke2

The stakes are high for KTM. The design goals were ambitious to say the least. They didn't want make nothing else than something truly exceptional. And succeeded. :clap

Attached Files:

7. Robert Saunders

Oddometer:
    > Maybe the 'accident' part is pretty calculated.

of course! bikes that function as fantastically as the 950 don't happen by accident. But there is always a little luck involved somewhere, however small, especially when trying to cover so many bases with the same bike.

> There was an entirely different bike ('Frankenstein') ...

Thanks, KTMax, for a really interesting photo and a bit of inside track.

> They didn't want make nothing else than something truly exceptional.

But wouldn't you say every manufacturer has this sort of ambition? Or are they just relying on reputation or marketing and simply plugging gaps in the market?
  8. Tracker

Tracker Guest

How about 4 years/2 KLRs + 40k miles? Yesterday I was out riding in the Cascade foothills with two friends, one on a 1150GS, one on a 950 KTM and me on a KLR. All of us experenced riders. After about 100 miles of twistys at a brisk pace, we swapped bikes for a spell.
    Here's my take on both.
    GS1150- Very stable/comfortable w/lowered footpegs! Prolly what I would want for the long haul.

KTM 950- "F*#k Me" !!! This bike is a blast to ride!! In just a couple of miles after I adapted to the change of ergos, I found myself going scary fast thru the twistys. I stopped and said "Will you take this bike back please, before I steal it!"

Thier comments on the KLR - " How the Hell do you ride this POS fast enough to keep up!" :lol3 :lol3
  9. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Not all but in general - especially with the big manufacturers - I think that's exactly how most new models are born. This together with 'the race' with competitors in specific segments.

Some material from the design stage of the current 950:

Attached Files:

10. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    do you have any more of this wonderful Drawings and design work:freaky

I want to see them all
  11. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Nice material Max! :thumb
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    None such luck, Robert. Around here a test ride is not an option. Of all the bikes I've bought up here the only time I've been able to test ride is when I was buying a used bike. Bought several beemers and never as much as a spin around the parking lot before whupping out the wallet for a new one. My 1150GS was the same story. It would be the same for a 950 Adv too had the dealer ever rec'd one.

Sad, but true. If you're buying a bike new in Alaska you're buying based on sitting on it in the showroom and mag articles, owner's comments, etc. That's one of the reason's I'm so interested in what your thoughts are... because I:

1) Won't be able to test ride one

2) Won't be able to sit on one in a showroom

3) Can't hear it, feel it, see it, etc., til I buy it and have it shipped up

...and I think that will happen tomorrow.
  13. Robert Saunders

Oddometer:
    > Around here a test ride is not an option.
    > 3) Can't hear it, feel it, see it, etc., til I buy it and have it shipped up
    > ...and I think that will happen tomorrow.

aha! i'd swap a case of wine to see the look on your face after your first ride! (although shipping wine from Cape Town to Alaska is EXACTLY shipping it half way round the world). I'm sure we all can't wait to get your first impressions and photos! This is one purchase you won't regret.<!-- / message -->
  14. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Sorry Ricky, this is all I got. I only have these other pics from the development stage. Testbench work on the engine and a prototype. If you look carefully you can see this is kind of a 'crossover bike' between Frankenstein and the final 950. I love that alloy rear fender! Note the 'Akra type' headers and pipe work on the engine. Only held togeter with springs for easy removal and modification. Maybe these pics are know already.

Attached Files:

15. KTMax

Oddometer:
    The last ones. Beautiful isn't she??... :bow :D

Attached Files:

16. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Indeed :thumb