Unexpected Lust: 2008 KTM 990 Superduke

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by neduro, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Hair

Hair On time and on budget. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are some of the best deals going in Motorcycling right now. I've always liked the endless seat that the SM or SE offers. But one can't argue with a great deal.
  2. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cambs/Northants border, near Peterborough
    That's the problem, they are both great deals! I can get a left over '07 950SM for $9400 out the door, or a left over '08 SD for $10.5K OTD and shipped to my house. I hate these kinds of decisions...
  3. jcarlson9

jcarlson9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of selling my sm to get the sd but now resale on the s
    is way low:puke1
  4. jcarlson9

jcarlson9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone know if any r modles are around ?:evil
  5. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My biggest complaint with the bike in stock form (or with slip ons, they didn't make much difference to fueling that I could tell) was "digital" throttle response, where it felt like power didn't increase linearly with throttle position.

This wasn't as much an issue when whomping on the bike at the track as it was riding with the GF trying to keep her head from hitting mine. It was hard to be smooth at very small throttle openings- the bike either lagged or surged.

So, I decided to give it a different map a try. I think there are 3 standard remaps for the Superduke available to all KTM dealers with an XC1 computer... I went for the Akra slip on one.

While the bike still isn't silky perfect, it's definitely improved. I haven't ridden the bike in anger yet, but it feels stronger (no dyno results, so that could be in my head) and it's definitely better for subtle inputs.

The other remaining open question is fuel economy. I don't really have a good baseline stock, but if I'm not getting the better part of 40 commuting, I'm going to be disappointed. I'll report back in time.

~2000 miles and counting (tho not all of them are mine...)
  6. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    O2 eliminators will rid of the abrupt response at low revs/throttle.
  7. twodollardoug

twodollardoug the calimesa kid

Oddometer:
    hey ned, i would definitely recommend a moto hooligan box and pcIII with custom split map. pull your secondary butterflies, g2 throttle with a 400 cam. balance your tb's and adjust your tps (you will be surprised how far out they are from the factory) and it will transform your sd. my 08 sd IS silky smooth..... more than my 08 adv with the same mods. im still trying to figure that one out.

i agree that the sd is the best street bike that i have ever ridden. first ktm actually. my sd came first then i bought my adv.

pm me if you want the how tos on the tb's and the tps.

heres a picture of my thunder pumpkins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been a while since I (or anyone for that matter) posted in this thread, but I ended up buying a left over '08 from 3bros. They are taking the bike down to San Diego today and it should leave the port for the island on Tuesday. Can't wait for it to get here!
  9. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I'd seen some sweet deals on superdukes from Bert's for $8395 plus tax and license - no b.s. fees.

Was about to break for one but bought a Buell xb12ss 09 instead for 7k plus tax. As the economy tanks prices are on your side.
  10. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    Neduro, I have the Akra map and FMF pipes and it does run quite a bit smoother, not perfect but I can live with it.
    I have read the reports of the Motohooligan box, PCIII and oxygen sensor cutouts.

Sounds like it works well but, $900 is pretty steep price.
    I will do it if I need to but so far it seems to be working well enough for me.

I do think you are correct, it seems stronger with the map.

Gas mileage, I seem to average 31-33 here, I am about 1000 feet in altitude.
    I would think you could get 40 out there in the higher altitude fairly easy.

On the track I used quite a bit of fuel, I didn't check it but I bet it was only getting 20 or so. Heartland Park has a couple of long straights which eats some fuel.
  11. Dirty Dharma Bum

Dirty Dharma Bum worlds slowest rider

Oddometer:
    Neduro, i also met my most recent love ('08 Superduke 990) at the Riggins, ID ride. My '08 Adventure is my first infatuation:raabia and the one i married but my new Superduke is that sexy vixen that you know is bad for you but must have. I picked up my SD last week and have been bouncing around every canyon i can find.
    I will use the SD as my main commuter which will allow me to specialize my Adventure even more inclucing more aggressive tires etc and keep from racking the miles up on the ADV.
    They make a beautiful pair.
  12. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My SD should be here at the port, and ready to be picked up on Wednesday. Now I just need to find a good (from my boss' point of view) reason to go pick it up. ;)
  13. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DRKWing, tell your boss I said you should go. :lol3

Akra map is indeed an improvement. Seat of the pants says the bike is stronger, and it's a bit less "surgey" although still not perfect like a carbed 950 can be.

A couple minor updates:

Added a Kaoko throttle lock from Black Dog, which works great, and might be the easiest aftermarket install I've ever done. Wind out stock weight, reuse bolt in Kaoko, 2 minutes from start to finish. Works perfectly with no adjustments, so cheers to that.

Second, I bought a KTM hardparts tankbag so I'd have a way to get crap to the office and back, and in preparation for a CA canyon trip I see coming. Extremely nice bag, fits perfectly, looks nice, great features (expandable, rain cover, shoulder strap and grab handle, zip off base, etc)... much nicer than bodging on some generic bag that barely fits.

The bike is well north of 2k miles now, mostly in 20-30 mile increments of going to work, running a few errands, running home. It's interesting, I ride it more than I did the SE for this, just because it's smaller. The SE doesn't intimidate me, but I didn't always feel like dealing with it, where the SD just feels easy and low hassle. I'm not sure that makes any sense even to me, but it seems to be true so there you have it.
  14. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally picked mine up yesterday. Got seventy-five miles on it so far and boy is it different than my Ducati! lol Now I just need to get it broken in and start the hunt for O2 eliminators and maybe a PCIII.

[​IMG]
  15. sixgunner

sixgunner n00b

Oddometer:
    In my 40 years of motorcycling the super duke is the most fun motorcycle I have ever owned. Hey Playa Shark is that the standard windshield mounted ontop the touring screen ? looks good. if so what did you use for mounting hadware ? thanks. Greg.
  16. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Playshark's photos are very nice quality. Looks like something you'd see in a bike magazine.
  18. Reg Kittrelle

Reg Kittrelle Rider

Oddometer:
    I completely understand.

Last month I rode a press KTM 990 SM-T in a 4-day event. I came home and sold my 2005 Multistarda and 2010 Buell Ulysses. There is now a new KTM 990 SM-T in my garage, and a very puzzeled wife in the house.
  19. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you did end up buying the SMT. Congrats! :clap

20. Playa Shark

Playa Shark High Desert Prowler

Oddometer:
    Pictures are by Joe from 4theriders.com. Check out their website. Really decent guys.

Too bad the riding isn't magazine quality. October 11, 2009 coming out of the corner onto Sunset straight:

[​IMG]

Very shortly thereafter. Spunup the rear and chopped the throttle too aggressively. Highside at about 60+ mph:

[​IMG]

This is where I think I severely broke my left wrist. Multiple fractures in both hands and right foot. Nice new hardware in left wrist.
    [​IMG]

Bike is up an running again and will be back out at Reno-Fernley May 22-23 with the Sierra Sportbike Association. Nothing mechanically wrong, but I did completely toast the handlebar, brake master, etc. Will post pics of the new handlebar set up when I upload them.