Unexpected Lust: 2008 KTM 990 Superduke

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by neduro, Sep 23, 2009.

1. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    ouch. :cry
  2. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummed! Sorry about that!
  3. skortch

skortch mmm... curvy

Oddometer:
    Sympathetic gut clenching... ouch.:eek1

I went to a KTM demo event last weekend. Tried out the SMT, thinking that was the ideal bike for me. However, the riding position felt all wrong: too upright, and the seat hump sorta locked you into 1 position. But maybe that's what I should expect in a semi-touring semi-supermoto bike. Bike sorta left me cold, I think I'd move up to an Adventure.

SMR left me a little unaffected, too. I did like the 690 Duke, though it was maybe a bit too tiny.

But then I got on the Super Duke. Instantly, everything felt perfect. Just the right amount of forward lean, lots of leg room, just a nice semi-aggressive seating position. (Ok, maybe I'd saw half an inch off each side of the handlebar.) Great power, brakes, handling... and the little tour fairing tacked on the front helped block a bit of wind.

So now it's up on my list of (used) bikes to buy. I'll be trying some Speed and Street Triples at another upcoming demo day but the Super Duke will be hard to beat.
  4. neduro

Oddometer:
    The prices for them used are pretty amazing- it's a lot of bike for the $$.

If you're looking, I may know of one for sale down here in CO Springs- let me know if you want me to make a phone call.

PS: Do I remember that you bought my old XR from DonTLR? If so, still have it?
  5. skortch

skortch mmm... curvy

Oddometer:
    Nope, wasn't me buying the XR... and it'll be a month or so before I know if I have the spare cash to buy a bike. Thanks for offering to help, though! I might take you up on it at some point.
  6. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Playa Shark,
    Those crash pictures make me cringe! Good to hear you're getting back on the bike though. :clap
  7. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:

Skortch, I test rode a used Speed Triple with 3500 miles on it and a KTM Superduke back to back within just a few minutes of each other.
    I was set to buy the Speed as soon as I got back to the dealership.
    the GM tossed me the keys to the SD and said "you must ride that bike."

I went out on the same loop and forgot about buying the Speed.
    suspension, brakes, handling and a strong twin cylinder engine.
    It was a leftover 07, brand new they picked up from a dealer that couldn't move the two he had.
    got a smokin' deal and never looked back.

Playa Shark, man that's a nasty highside there dood.:yikes
    I about did the same thing last month at a trackday, slow left hand corner that leads to a fast left that gets you down the back stretch.

I got a bit over anxious with the throttle while at full lean and she stepped wayyyyy...... out there.
    luckily I managed to not chop the throttle and highside like you did.

It was pure luck though, skill had not much to do with it at that point.:yikes

Somebody took this picture of me out there, I think I posted it elswhere but I don't remember where.:scratch

[​IMG]
  8. excess

excess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent you an email. I'd like the details if you don't mind
    Thanks
  9. jcarlson9

jcarlson9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just installed a new throttle cam from g2 today,its a kr400.It starts out like the throttle tamer,but then ramps up faster so the twist ist so long,this is close to stock twist,but smooths out the jerkyness right off idle.I rode it in azusa canyon today and feels real good,the test is riding to work tomarrow while splitting lanes,thats when the jerkyness was a problem,well see how this works :evil
  10. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So how does it perform?
    Is the commuting better now - jerkyness gone?
  11. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    want to rid of the surging at low throttle? disconnect the O2 sensors. get some O2 eliminator plugs or solder in the proper resistors.
  12. Reg Kittrelle

Reg Kittrelle Rider

Oddometer:
    I too installed the G2 with the #400 cam on my 2010 KTM SM-T.
    My problem was with the rutted back roads; every time I'd hit a rut, the bike would "jump out." The G2 solved the problem. Also, it was a very easy (10minutes) install.
  13. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    G2 throttle cam helps but ride with one or two finger resting on top of the brake level. if you hit a bump you won't change the throttle position. especially on an SD with stiff suspension.
  14. Reg Kittrelle

Reg Kittrelle Rider

Oddometer:
    That trick does work, fast, but not on the roads I'm talking about ...and with those I ride with. They require a lot on throttle movement, and a good grip
  15. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Try a Ned tip... bring your right hand in from the right rear of the grip instead of from straight back. Elbows up, then turn the throttle like a door knob. It greatly improves your throttle control :nod
  16. Reg Kittrelle

Reg Kittrelle Rider

Oddometer:
    Again, I agree. But I think solving the problem ...which the G2 did for me... beats compensating for it.
  17. jcarlson9

jcarlson9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes this new cam works great,much smoother right off idle,and the twist to wide open is less than the original throttle tamer,and yes i have the 02 sensors gone,with fmfs,and mapping,the jerkyness is all but gone,now i just have to decide if i want to go with a motohooligin air box,with the akra mapping[this is a whole other debate] :D
  18. neduro

Oddometer:
    I put the Akra map in shortly after I bought the bike, and I'm curious how much fuel economy I'm sacrificing with that. Does anyone have a good comparison stock vs Akra slip-on map?

FWIW, I'm getting about 32 mpg with the Akra map, I don't really care about the efficiency but the range isn't that great.
  19. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cambs/Northants border, near Peterborough
    With a what?

Was about to say... ;)
  20. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cambs/Northants border, near Peterborough
    I was more taking the piss at your comment of a light throttle hand...