Unexpected Lust: 2008 KTM 990 Superduke

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by neduro, Sep 23, 2009.

1. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm touring with the sdr right now. Mpg is all over the place. The lowest is about 180 b4 low fuel light comes on. Riding fron page az through grand canyon I got 210 miles from 3.8 gallons. Now I'm in ut and consistenly going 190 b4 low fuel comes on
  2. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I put in 4.894 gallons @ 165 miles yesterday. Close!
  3. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    when I'm riding agressively I get the fuel light @ 120 miles. so it depends on your right wrist.
  4. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a new, left over, 2008 SuperDuke yesterday afternoon. So far I couldn't be happier. It's far lighter, more agile and a ton more fun than my previous ride.

It's black and all stock - so far.
  5. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Black is definitely the best color too.

What was your previous bike?

6. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cambs/Northants border, near Peterborough
    My SD should be up in Alexandria in a few weeks. :D

Shitty iPhone pic of it...

[​IMG]
  7. Pork-Chop Express

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Looking forward to having another SD rider in the neigborhood DRKWNG!

8. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Ducati will be there first though. :evil
  9. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My previous bike was a 2008 K1200S. Previous to that a 2003 GSXR 1000 - so I went back to lighter weight bike - less hp but I have all that I can use now anyway.
  10. Pork-Chop Express

Oddometer:
    That works. Let me know if you ever want to meet up to do some riding.

11. Pork-Chop Express

Oddometer:
    Nice. I think of bikes like the SD as having easily accessible power for the street. I agree, more than most of us can use without losing our license anyway.

12. Brajole

Brajole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Skortch
    What did you think of the S3?. I'm in the same process in choosing between the 2. For me it's mostly in town commuting and road time with twisty treats on weekends etc. Looking at a better $$ for the SD than the S3. Maybe the S3 is better for me as an allrounder(?)
    But on my SD test run, I would find it hard to beat.
    Any comment on the V-twin vs I3 comparison?
    Thanks
  13. skortch

skortch mmm... curvy

Oddometer:
    Tough call, especially since a month or so separated the two tests.

Riding position I give to the SD, with a good deal more leg room. The pegs on the S3 were noticeably further back and higher. Reach to the bar seemed about the same. The KTM is very neutral and well balanced between pegs, seat, and bars. The S3 wasn't bad, though. I also preferred how narrow the KTM felt.

Engine I'd give to the S3, though it wasn't a fair fight since there was an Arrow pipe on the Triumph and the KTM was stock. But the sound and performance of that 1050 was pretty amazing. I'd have to try them back-to-back stock or both with pipes.

I wouldn't pick either one as the better all-rounder. Neither has much space for luggage, or much wind protection to speak of. The riding you described fits either bike very well, except if you need to carry a lot of stuff. Both are extremely fun bikes.

Forced to choose, I'd pick... the Street Triple 675. OK, the bike I really enjoyed most from either the KTM or Triumph demo day was the Daytona 675. That motor rips with an Arrow pipe! Most exhilarating engine I think I've ever experienced. It revs -effortlessly- a good deal higher than the bigger triple yet didn't feel at all weak down low. It felt alive... If you need a torque monster than the SD or S3 would probably be better but neither seemed as soulful to me. Plus the fueling felt smoother off-idle than on the bigger bikes - no snatchyness at all.

The bike excelled in acceleration, braking, and handling and was just a total blast - in small doses. The riding position literally gave me a migraine. So, unless I could somehow make it more comfortable and give it a lower pipe to keep the 'nads cool, I'd settle for the Street Triple (preferably in R form). Both smaller bikes felt way lighter and more maneuverable than their bigger brethren.

Between the S3 and the SD, both were excellent and I'd be happy with either one. Unfortunately the test rides we went on didn't really reveal anything about handling or outright performance but I doubt either one was a sluggard in that regard. Sweet bikes, but I'd still go for the 675.
  14. jcarlson9

jcarlson9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just got my new tail piece off e bay for 50 bucks it looks pretty good,just needs paint

Attached Files:

15. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good review!

Been meaning to post for a while, and your post reminded me, that I tried fitting my Wolfman Enduro Saddlebags on the SD. They work with a little ingenuity- there isn't much capacity but between those and a tank bag I could tour for a long time if I wasn't camping.

:thumb
  16. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Must have larger pics! ;)
  17. skortch

skortch mmm... curvy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ned. Hope it didn't sound like I was slagging on the SD. It's still on my list of top bikes, for sure. The more I think about it, the more I'd probably pick it narrowly over the Speed Triple, cost and accessories being similar. I liked the riding position better and the lighter weight.

Very cool. Since you mentioned it, are there any small racks available for the SD? For those times when it would be nice to strap a tent, sleeping bag, etc on the back.
  18. jcarlson9

jcarlson9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  19. DRKWNG

DRKWNG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That looks really nice! I know you said it was from ebay, but who did you get it from there?
  20. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Threadjack!!! Anybody have any tips on the right suspension settings for a guy about 190 pounds that likes corners? For the 07 superduke of course.:D