Unfinished Business - Dempster Highway / Tuktoyaktuk 2018 in pictures.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DYNOBOB, Nov 2, 2018.

1. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would have been nice to do the South Canol, Denali, Hatcher Pass, Telegraph Creek but hey, that's a reason to go back. Unfinished Business you know. :-)

And we'd get another Dynobob ride report.:-)
    B10Dave, Bigbob1 and DYNOBOB like this.
  2. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Good bike advise. What tire?

Six punctures - that's living the nightmare...

.[/QUOTE]

First of all Dynobob - great report and you are a gifted photographer with a good eye for composition - thanks for posting, I didn't intend to hijack your thread.

The ill fated RT was running a TKC 80 front and rear. The WIDE rear rim width of the RT rear, left a lot of exposed and vulnerable rubber in between the actual knobs. Early season on any of these roads they lay down thousands of truck loads of freshly mined gravel and leave it to be compressed by passing traffic. When there is very little traffic or the gravel is really fresh, this gravel is a treat to ride through. In the case of the TKC 80 - which is a pretty soft compound tire - the tire suffered a 1/2" gash in-between the lugs which resisted any gummy worm or plug repair. In the end we wound up having to dismount the tire from the wheel and laid on a truck patch in the inside. That was a rough stretch, and it got worse on the Dempster the next day.
  3. wobbly one

wobbly one Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bob - your trip report is an absolute delight! Great photos, great style, and followed up with great advise. You set the bar pretty high with your quality reports. I hope our paths cross again soon (on two wheels would be most fun). All the best in 2019. Pat
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  4. JoeBiker25

JoeBiker25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Superbly done in all respects! WOW!!!
    poppawheelie likes this.
  5. mobyfubar

mobyfubar cd /;rm -rf * Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again - beautiful photos, engaging descriptions and story telling, and helpful advice!
  6. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more time!

Great photography. I am awed by your ability to get so many wonderful pictures. I have been to a lot of the same places, with good equipment, and my pictures don't look like yours.

I really enjoyed your writing. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort.

Ben.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  7. klrva

klrva

Oddometer:
    I easily did a 17,500 mile trip with a Mitas E-07 (non-Dakar) tire mounted on the rear of a V-Strom 650.

Mitas has recently replaced some of the larger sized E-07 tires with the new E-07+ (plus) model. The new tire model has a different tread pattern. Some people have reported that the E-07+ model does not seem to wear as long as the older E-07 model tires.

Great ride report - Thanks
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  8. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:

Thanks for the kind words and keeping an eye on the rig again! What a blessing it is not to worry about it. Lets figure out the two wheel plan sooner then later.

Happy Holidays to you and Jill.

gpfan likes this.
  9. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    First of all Dynobob - great report and you are a gifted photographer with a good eye for composition - thanks for posting, I didn't intend to hijack your thread.

The ill fated RT was running a TKC 80 front and rear. The WIDE rear rim width of the RT rear, left a lot of exposed and vulnerable rubber in between the actual knobs. Early season on any of these roads they lay down thousands of truck loads of freshly mined gravel and leave it to be compressed by passing traffic. When there is very little traffic or the gravel is really fresh, this gravel is a treat to ride through. In the case of the TKC 80 - which is a pretty soft compound tire - the tire suffered a 1/2" gash in-between the lugs which resisted any gummy worm or plug repair. In the end we wound up having to dismount the tire from the wheel and laid on a truck patch in the inside. That was a rough stretch, and it got worse on the Dempster the next day.[/QUOTE]

Not a hijack at all. That story adds a dose of what can very easily become reality on these roads. If there's a ride report throw up a link, I'd like to know how the bike ended up on a truck.

gpfan likes this.
  10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following and commenting you guys.

I think anyone who's written a ride report would tell you that the process and camaraderie are a great bonus to the trip.

gpfan likes this.
  11. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Might not interest anyone, but I'll toss out this idea. Quite a few of you have made the trip north. I think it would be cool if you threw in a post with some of your favorite (or worst?) experiences and pics. Kind of a mini ride report. Would add more perspective for those planning the trip. The story of six punctures or mud packed in your tires on the Dempster is what I love to read when researching a trip. Just a thought...

Who's first? :-)

12. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Not a hijack at all. That story adds a dose of what can very easily become reality on these roads. If there's a ride report throw up a link, I'd like to know how the bike ended up on a truck.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...riate-Equipment-to-out-of-the-way-places-quot

This is the story of how the RT wound up getting shipped back from Eagle Plains, how the Triumph sportbike somehow kind of survived and how my GS became the support vehicle for the entire circus. A cautionary tale of trying hard jobs with the wrong tools.
    bobw and DYNOBOB like this.
  13. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got an old Alaska report from my first time up in 1996 here in epic rides, it's titled "Alaska 1996, not a typo". I've been up 3 more times and 2019 I'm planning a trip to Hyder, AK in August the weekend after the first weekend of Sturgis, I'm calling it H2H (Head to Hyder). I'm hoping others that pass through maybe spend the weekend for some food, camping, and BS. My next full fledged trip to Tuk and Alaska will be in 2020. If seeing mud packed in tires is a turn on for ya, read "DJR goes to D2D, Tuk, and Alaska 2018"...you won't be able to control yourself, LOL
    DYNOBOB and MrKiwi like this.
  14. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    One little story I forgot to tell from Tuktoyaktuk that gives a glimpse into life "at the ends of the earth" and shows how people are the same everywhere. Keep in mind that before the road extension was finished you could only get to Tuk by light aircraft in the summer and ice road in the winter ... and there are various opinions on the positive/negative impact of connecting tiny, isolated communities to civilization.

[​IMG]

It was Saturday afternoon when we were at Stanton grocery store waiting on our chicken tenders to cook and Jim was talking to Boogie.

[​IMG]

I turned to my left and was paying the 30yr old cashier when it occurred to me to ask her if she'd driven the new road yet? "Oh yeah" she replied, "I'll probably go to Inuvik tonight for bingo". :eekers That was not what I was expecting. 180 miles of gravel and 4 hours of driving to play bingo! :-)

gpfan, jowul, Skunk-Works and 6 others like this.
  15. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bingo's big up here in the native community. I run into elders all excited like little kids a Christmas, when you ask them what's up they say we are going to bingo :rofl

I am going to look thru some boxes to try to find some old photos of my first motorcycle trip out of Juneau going to Valdez. Then I will post up a little report on here. Oh it was 1976 or 77.... it was an adventure..... Gravel, bears, run off the road, snow storm.... yup it was an Adventure!

Edit: My wife knew where my old pictures were. It was 1976. I will add my tale this weekend.
    NxtGoRnd, MizzouRider, #1Fan and 3 others like this.
  16. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dynobob, when were you there again? Seeing you guys in down jackets really catches my attention. When I went up to DH in late June of 2013 it was so hot. DH was ok, but Fairbanks was an oven. We had all the windows open in the dorm room at the Univ of AK, and I was still way too hot to sleep.. I’m going (hopefully) in mid August next year. Going to try for TUK. I hope it’s cooler than when I went in 13, but I’m not sure I want winter temps.. :vardy
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  17. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Aug 11 in Tuk. Mid 40s F at 2pm.

gpfan, MizzouRider and Bigbob1 like this.
  18. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Bring on the vintage pics! :-)

gpfan and Bigbob1 like this.
  19. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:

Give us a quick recap of your Tuk road experience, I think you were the guy that attempted to ride the ditch to escape the mud? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

gpfan likes this.
  20. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was me. The last 20km was impassable and I abandoned the bike 16 km from Tuk. I tried the grassy side of the road, but the creek crossings were impossible. RCMP gave me a lift to the village. I spent the night and by mid day the next I was able to bum a ride back to the bike and scrape the hardened mud off. There were 2 deep ruts that I rode out and back to Inuvik. DD48C732-4CEC-4BF6-BB8E-7E219A7077D8.jpeg F95AA6D2-ECBA-477C-8682-A4D2AB5C2A00.jpeg
    knight, eemsreno, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.