Unfinished Business - Dempster Highway / Tuktoyaktuk 2018 in pictures.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DYNOBOB, Nov 2, 2018.

1. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Thank you!

Hey if you ever get out of Ohio and into Northern Lower Michigan, let me know, we could connect for a ride. My wife and I plan to do lots of shake down rides prior to heading for the Artic Circle and would be happy to buy you a beer while you regale us with more details from your trip.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  2. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Sharing with his permission, a great time-lapse video from the first guy (@TravellingTartar) to make it to Tuk by motorcycle (about 9 weeks before us). He also created the "Tuk" stickers and donated them to the town to raise money.

His words:

It’s done. My very long, boring for some, dizzying for others, time-lapse covering my Spring 2018 ride from D.C. to Tuktoyaktuk.

Should you choose to watch the whole film, you will subject yourself to a 55-minute ride across America and up to the Arctic Ocean

The film starts where I started, in Washington D.C. and makes its way across the entire U.S.A., up through Alberta, along the entire mythical Alaska Highway, through Whitehorse where I met up with Anne and Eddie, and finally up the Dempster from Dawson to Tuk, passing through Eagle Plains and Inuvik. If you like long distance riding, I encourage you to watch the whole thing. If, however, you'd like to just watch portions, by all means, no offense taken, I have listed the milestones below.

• The first 11 minutes take us from Washington D.C. to Dawson Creek, B.C., in Canada.
    • The Alaska Highway portion starts at: 11:40.
    • The Dempster Highway portion starts at: 24:06.

I list my thank you's in the film, but allow me here to especially thank all those who donated to the Thanks Tuk campaign and to those who bought an 'I Made It To Tuk' sticker once they got to Tuktoyaktuk.

I hope this film will inspire you to travel up the Dempster. If you do, be respectful of it and thank all those you come into contact with; remember, they live there.

Enjoy, but I repeat, watch at your own risk and please, don’t tell me it’s too long, I know, I was there!

gpfan, yamalama, Maggot12 and 10 others like this.
  3. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    Great video. One of the best I have seen.
  4. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    @TravellingTartar ,
    I never watch long videos like this... till this one. Though I almost quit when you showed the Wall Drug sign. Worst part of coming across I 90.

Thanks for the hard work of putting that together. I think the most amazing thing was only a handful of visible bug strikes on the camera lens for the whole trip.
  5. toothpuller

toothpuller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic photos and report, quick question what tires were you riding on? It looks like the Dempster requires better tread than my Shinko 705s, thanks again for awesome report
  6. toothpuller

toothpuller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading wrap up thanks for all the great information
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traveling Tartar video - wowzer! :clap I'm going next Summer.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  8. malscontent

malscontent Genghis

Oddometer:
    Amazing photos you have taken, all I had was an I Phone. This was Saturday June 16th, still lots of ice out in the bay. Tuk.jpeg We did this trip June 8th to 26th. From BC. We totally lucked out on the road, the day before we went to Tuk was a hell day, nothing was getting thorough, then on the way home before hitting the Yukon lots of bikes were going down and it was a shit show. We decided to stay just south of Fort Macphereson. Once again very lucky. Loved your pics of the Richardson HWY. We passed two bikes wrecked ion the side of the road, one was a bit before eagle plains, I think it was a Vstrom from the Okanagan area, and one BMW, lost it on a corner. I was talking to a highways guy he thought maybe the wind blew that guy off the road. He also had to get airlifted out. A stark reminder of how such great trips can turn bad.
    gpfan, MGV8, Cal and 7 others like this.
  9. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Bigbob1
    [QUOTE. As I crested a rise I found out what was in the road. A big grizzly bear was standing on its hind legs in my tire track and I was going fast. I was weighing my options: If I stopped to turn around the bear would eat me. If I got out of the tire track I’d crash in the loose gravel and the bear would eat me. If I stayed in the tire track I would hit the bear and the bear would eat me. Do you see a theme here?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't stop laughing about these three options about getting eaten by a grizzly. Not sure which option I would have chosen :imaposer
    A great hilarious report when reading it sitting here in a warm home.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  10. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldn't stop laughing about these three options about getting eaten by a grizzly. Not sure which option I would have chosen :imaposer
    A great hilarious report when reading it sitting here in a warm home.[/QUOTE]

Glad you enjoyed it. I was asked how can I remember all the details of a trip from 40+ years ago. I have told this story on the CB every time I ride from Haines Junction North with my Wing riding buddies, I think they are sick of it, I know my wife is ....:rofl
    Happy New Year everyone!
    gpfan, MGV8 and jowul like this.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay which biker brought the propane stove:lol3
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  12. malscontent

malscontent Genghis

Oddometer:
    ha. ha That was some friends of ours that took their Subaru up at the same time we did the trip. They were gracious enough to use it a most meal times.
    Cal likes this.
  13. EMTNEK

EMTNEK Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful report. My riding buddy sent it to me as we are planning our trailering bikes to Montana, then ride to Dawson City and then AK June 2019. He has done it once before but rode out and back from Cape Cod and won’t do that again. Not planning to go all the way to Tuk, just to tag the Arctic Circle. That Dempster adventure you had was enough to just read.

Great route information and great photos to help inspire and plan as I sit in a kitchen in January in the northeast. I feel like I have seen it all or feel I must see it all after reading it.

I have not done a RR in a few years and noted that Smugmug seemed to have changed how photos embedded and you answered my questions completely. I am considering a Go Pro as I have always used a still camera but your use of the camera makes me rethink that necessity. I sometimes have a small camera on my body so I can shoot left handed without stopping. Not ideal.

This was a great report and a very hard ride long days. We have a bit more time but still will push from time to time. Your info on Telegraph Creek was very useful as I had not known of the 2018 fire there and a lot was burned there. It was great to see the details of your planning. I will use a bunch of your waypoints thanks. I can see the need to be planning a second trip before the first one is done.

He did a cruise on the Uncruise line Juneau to Seattle in the inland passage in fall 2018 and recommends that as well. My wife was looking up cruises she might do to meet us and sees that Holland America will run a bus from Anchorage to Fairbanks to Dawson City to Skagway. It would appear that being run over by a bus load of geriatric cruise passengers is an additional hazard on the Top of the World.

Great job, thank you
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  14. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    "A stark reminder of how such great trips can turn bad." Words of wisdom. Also confirms what a difference a day can make on the Dempster.

Glad to hear the info is helpful! Safe travels on your trip and look forward to the ride report.

A comment about getting photos on the move (that you may already know). Put your camera on "aperture" mode at f8 and select whatever ISO is needed to get the shutter speed up around 1/500. Confirm the camera returns to same settings after turned off/on. I like the strategy of "shots on the move" but getting home with a bunch of blurry shots is a bummer.

My 2 cents... It would be hard to go as far as the Arctic Circle sign and not go on into Tuk :-) The Dalton is a different story, Fairbanks to the sign and back is an easy day trip.

Anchorage/Fairbanks/Dawson City/Skagway covers some awesome stuff. I think a dream 2 week trip w/ the spouse would be to fly into Anchorage, grab a small RV, and call my own shots in case weather dictates pausing a day or so to see Denali, etc. Add Skagway - Haines - Valdez - back to Anchorage to drop off the RV and fly home. See coastal AK from Haines or Valdez on a day cruise at a time of your choosing (good weather). Maybe even incorporate a couple days to see the Kenai Peninsula (Seward) if time permits.

gpfan and EMTNEK like this.
  15. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did pass some Holland America buses along the way but never had problems getting by them. Also the Dalton to the Circle had a few small 12-15 passenger vans on the road. They seemed to be good drivers and gave us as much space as they could. Some times in the heavier rain, they will be passing you!!!
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the video, it was great. Loved the note at the 31 minute mark and watching the ferry on the bank.

Bucket list spot for me, but may do it in an rv with bike on the back.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  17. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Good plan. It's an adventure either way. I've done it on my Super Tenere and in my F150 with the wife (as far as Inuvik).

Same route - different trips but both awesome in their own right.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! Had to laugh at your comment, "It would be hard to go as far as the Arctic Circle sign and not go on into Tuk," since my attempt to ride to Inuvik a few years ago was thwarted by constant rain. I slipped and slithered as far as the sign, took the obligatory picture and slipped and slithered back south! As you've said several times, the weather can change everything. :muutt
    Definitely agree on your recommendations for a trip with spouse. :nod
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  19. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    greg.279, gpfan, zachd and 3 others like this.
  20. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank's for posting this info, good stuff!