1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Unfriendly clubs to motorcyclists

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by erbemone, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:

I never go in an establishment with my helmet. Every once in a while I see some idjit in a store wearing a helmet. Good grief.
  2. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take my helmet with me frequently. About the only time I lock it to the bike is when I'm in class, and that's mostly because there simply is no place to put it in a lecture hall...they are too crammed as it is.

I would have left also. They just aren't the people I would want to give my business too.
  3. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use to lock my helmet to my bike for years. Till one night some di@k cut my d ring and stole my shoei. I was so pissed and I had to call someone to bring me a spare helmet. No if i am not allowed to bring a helmet they don't want my business. I would of left too. Ben
  4. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just blew orange juice through my nose!!!:rofl

Scott in Shoreview
    '85 Voyager Hack
    '79 Suzuki GS550
  5. DanTheMan07

DanTheMan07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have checked it and got on with my day. Ive got bigger things to worry about.
  6. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with DanTheMan07. If you can't lock it up on your bike, then check it, stating very clearly that any additinal marks or scratches will be their responsibility. I have done this and not had any issues.

Not long ago, cruised up to a very fancy hotel that does Valet parking. The Valet said he could park my bike for me but would prefer that I just park it about 30 feet from the door, next to a large potted plant. He said that by parking there, then all the Valets and Concierge could keep an eye on it for me. Came down in the morning and they had washed all the bugs off it and dried it for me. Could not believe it. The Valets got a good size tip.
  7. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    does a scratch in a helmet really mean that much to you?
  8. ChefC14

ChefC14 n00b

Oddometer:
    I stopped to get gas and when I went in to pay there was a sign on the door that said, "bikers please remove your helmets before entering the store." I always do remove my helmet but I was kind of shocked that there was actually a note saying this. I mean if we were in the city I'd understand but there is virtually no crime in this area. Anyhow this sign didn't refer to me because I'm a motorcyclist, not a biker.
  9. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Admittedly wild speculation on my part, but . . . I imagine the "no helmet" rule enables the SURVEILLANCE VIDEO cameras to capture a more detailed likeness of the customer, than if helmet wear were permitted.

I have seen this rule rigidly enforced in banks in South Africa and in Central America, where crime and mischief are not unknown . . . in Costa Rica, for example, not only no helmets, but no hats and no sunglasses are permitted . . . lockers in a foyer accommodate the apparel 'til the customer leaves, and the gentleman with the chromed/stainless 12-gauge pump-action shotgun will render any assistance you might need . . .

As to the "no helmet" rule in the establishment mentioned in the IP; what? ME worry? A private establishment can establish its own policies, even dress codes. I would not feel a victim of oppression whose civil rights have been violated, were I asked to check my helmet. While I might not be responsible, I'd bet that policy has SOMEONE's name on it; at one time or another someone swung a helmet around, accidentally or on purpose, causing property damage and/or personal injury.

Offended by the establishment's policy? Then, perhaps taking your business elsewhere presents the best outcome for all.

Hey, what if they didn't permit you to wear your COLORS???????????

:D
  10. Roadrunner

Roadrunner (Negativus Supersonicus) Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it was dropped (as he believed it was), then it most likely wrecked the integrity of the helmet.
  11. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's a fallacy. the only way that the foam can be damaged is through compression. That means something had to be inside the helmet. dropping it from waist high with your noggin not inside the helmet isn't going to 'wreck the integrity'
  12. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    I didn't see reference to the foam being compressed (but maybe I missed it), dropping from waist height could affect the integrity of the shell (microcracks and unseen fractures) and the shell is part of the system that helps spread out the impact across the foam and hopefully reduces the effects of your noggin hitting the ground. If the shell is cracked, then there could be a problem down the road when you need the whole system to work as designed. YMMV.
  13. Roadrunner

Roadrunner (Negativus Supersonicus) Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Precisely. I wonder where he got his information that this information is a "fallacy?'
  14. TheRobG

TheRobG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Composite materials behave strangely. Chips and scrapes are a sign of potential damage. A lot of the strength of the material comes from the epoxy. Once this is damaged, stresses can localize in cracks and chips and cause more severe failures in an actual impact. Helmets are all about energy absorption and dispersion. Every time the material absorbs an impact which causes yield of any part of the material, that amount of energy absorption has been lost. If you aren't worried about the shell, consider wearing a helmet without a shell. If you only have the foam, the object you strike can create very high pressure in a concentrated area of the foam. Every tried to stick a pencil through foam? Much easier than trying to crush the whole foam surface. This is one of the purposes of the shell. It takes that force which starts in a small area and spreads it out over a large surface area. If it is cracked or chipped, that energy spreads until it finds that weak point and from there it takes the path of least resistance...

As helmet epoxy ages it looses it's resilience and less energy is required to create cracks and failures. Most manufacturers tell you to replace your helmet every 2-3 years... If you keep it out of the sun you can easily get more than that out of it... but that means taking your helmet with you rather than letting it bake on the helmet lock. UV and heat do some nasty things to composites. If you don't believe that, look into why all the composite aircraft they build these days are painted white...
  15. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    the bank I use has been robbed twice by dudes wearing motorcycle helmets. if you walk in wearing one nowdays, you will probably meet the local cops with thier guns drawn. I've never tried to challange the tellers word on it, even tho they know me by name.
    one of the gas stations I drive by has a no helmets policy. it is for thier cameras. too much bother to take off the helmet and hassle with my glasses, so I just get gas at the station across the street.
    I don't leave my helmet on the bike or give it to somebody else. if the place won't let my helmet in, then I take my business elsewhere. I do let them know in a polite fashion that they have lost a customer. some relent, some don't care. JB
  16. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    One of our local banks has signs that ask patrons to remove hats, helmets, and sun glasses before entering... Just in case...
  17. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:
    My bank as well as all the other banks in Boise have the same sign. I was joking with my bank's branch manager about the fallacy of the sign because I was also carrying. I have to remove my baseball cap, but my .380 is still tucked in my waist band. He laughed and thought that was funny.

I have done business with that branch for years, so there is a bit of a professional relationship between us. We often get into long discussions about this and that when I go in. Nice place.
  20. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois

Local branch in the next town over was robbed. About 3 weeks later the branch I have used forever has more cameras installed. Now this is a bank I go to ALL the time in Sheriff's Deputy uniform. They all know me by sight and they have my checking account number memorized.
    Anyway I ride the KLR up and walk in with my FlexII Jacket and just flip chin bar up on my HJC, still wearing my RayBan Aviators and walk in, something I have done many times. Yes a .380 Colt is in my jacket pocket. A gal jumps up from the desk in the middle of the lobby, half way to the tellers who are already going "Hi John", I hear, "Sir, you need to remove your helmet and glasses". What? And she repeats it. Your kidding, right? You do know I am a cop, right? Is this about the robbery at the other branch? "Well Yes. " Ok, lets talk about that, You have no idea what security is or how to achieve it. Here you are standing out in the middle of the lobby confronting a subject, who if he was a armed bank robber, would not give to hoots about you or your rule and would most likely just shoot you and continue. Would it not be better to be where you can use your desk for cover? If you want security you need to seal the lobby area and not have anyway of contact between the public and your co workers except thru a small slot at the windows. Jeez lady you have no clue.

Seems she was a sub from a branch I never go to who did not know me and was only following the new rules, blindly, because she was told she would be more secure. Fools!

The normal tellers were all laughing.

Jailor8