Universal, one-size-fits-all penny-tech rear axle alignment tool

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Aug 24, 2006.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:

Well... I guess to me, rear wheel alignment automatically get's you chain and brake alignment... not proper chain tension, just alignment.

A tool section would be good, but then you've got specific tools and generic tools... so what better place for job specific tools than the bike section they would be used in?

So many ways to fall off the fence... so little time. :lol3
  2. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Swing loans suck monkey testes....

Oh, and I have plenty of sheisse laying around my garage if you need to fill the space (UPS or FedEx)... :evil
  3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    The wife owns a mortgage company, so she's got the money thing all sorted... can't do anything about wank buyers though.
    Trust and faith, with all good intent, can still turn to poo.

You can keep your pile of junk... I have plenty of my own, gracias.

So... what do monkey testes tast like? Chicken? :D
  4. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Not sure. A little too hominid for my taste. The bovine versions are pretty yummy though...

[​IMG]

hi-jack off or is it hi, jackoff???
  5. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    To be absolutely correct, you should not measure from the swinging arm pivot, as that may not be perfect. It should be, as that is probably a fixed point on the frame production jig, but you cannot trust this to be corrrect, just as you cannot trust the adjuster markings to be correct.

What matters is that the rear wheel is in line with the front wheel. One should use a long straight-edge parallele to the front wheel rim. Then adjust the rear wheel to the straight edge... the problem is: How do you know that the front wheel is straigh ahead? :ear

You don't have to do the straight-edge thing every time, just once to check, then when you know, you can use Creeper's method.

If the swinging arm povot is positioned incorrectly within the frame, the pads will wear evenly as long as the pads are paralelle to the disk, but that does not mean that the front and rear wheels are in line.
  6. texsurfer

texsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    furthering this... To me, i don't care if the rear wheel is aligned with the front. I care about the rear sprocket being aligned with the front sprocket. otherwise your chain/sprockets will bind and prematurely wear out. I see it on a lot of idiots bikes that get ahold of a toolset with no instruction from anyone on what to do. and they wonder why the rear sprocket looks like shark teeth and the chain makes a loud horrible sound when riding. ymmv ;)
  7. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Psst: That tool sells for about 30 bucks.
  8. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Elegantly simple, Creep. :thumb
  9. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU!

All the esoteric straightedge parallel to the front wheel stuff aside, this will work just fine for me.

Now - how do you get the point on the welding rod? Do you have a metal compatible pencil sharpener? :rofl Just kidding.

Thanks,again.

Dave
  10. techieguy

techieguy Lost in the woods

Oddometer:
    If you need to worry if your swing arm pivots are square and in line with the rest of your frame, you have too much time on your hands. If they are not in line and square, then who cares about adjusting the chain correctly 'cause you got other problems!!!!

Thanks Creep, I've made one of these alignment tools for myself and one for a friend. He was amazed at my inginuity. :lol3 Na, I gave you full credit!

Techieguy
  11. MrH

MrH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always checked the wheel alignment on my bikes with two straight 6' planks bungied either side of the back wheel, and then measuring the gap between the planks and the front wheel. This is very sensitive because of the distances involved - 1mm at the axle is probably equivalent to 5 or 6 mm at the front wheel.

In the UK there's a requirement for the wheels of a bike to be in line for the MOT test, I guess for reasons of safety, ie steering as well as tyre, wheel bearing and transmission wear.
  12. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:

:deal

Attached Files:

• org1.jpg
      org1.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    an administrative draft "seal of approval":

[​IMG]

If I may borrow the phrase: simple yet elegant?

Now if approved, I need someone to help me remove the white outside of the black ring. I have tried to remove it but have failed to end up with a jpeg that doesn't have any background...
  14. gruesom2som

gruesom2som Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I felt a bit uncomfortable that zip-tie might slide while I fiddle with it, I found a simple way to secure it in place. I had my "Creeper's Chain Alignment Tool" with a metric 6 rod.. Threads gouges grooves on the zip-tie and you're comfortably +/- 0.5 mm's on the spot..

[​IMG]

Well.. Of course it would take ages to roll it for a couple inches if you are so dumb to zip it at the end of the rod..
    ..or maybe after a chain replacement! :D
  15. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Creeper -- You make my days so much easier..
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  16. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Better that than your nights. :wink:
  17. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tagged for future reference!
  18. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    And yet another ancient Creeperism comes back from the dead. You gotta love it... :clap
  19. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool . . . . . . .thanks !
  20. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    C[/QUOTE]
    It should be noted after you line up the wheel to swingarm pivot you need to check that the engine is square to the frame in a rubber mounted Harley like a FXR.