UP MI to Grand Forks ND

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by UP Matt, Jul 27, 2019.

1. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am going for a 2 week ride from Houghton, MI to Grand Forks, ND and back. Does anyone have suggestions on an adventure route? I am looking to stay off pavement as much as possible.
  2. Grizzmug

Grizzmug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Freecampsites.net and the ioverlander app help me quite often to find off highway campsites.
    varnerju and UP Matt like this.
  3. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can string together a fun route pretty easily:

Start with Cannonshot's Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail which you can use to build a route from Houghton to the Wisconsin state line.

From there, Cannonshot has a recommended route from Boulder Junction, WI to Duluth, MN. This route is mostly paved roads. You can mix in some dual sport elements from these options.

Once in Duluth, you can head north a bit to connect with the new "Border to Border Trail" that is currently under development in Minnesota and will get you all the way to North Dakota.
    varnerju likes this.
  4. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thank you! It looks like a great route. Do you know if anyone has track files available for download for the Minnesota Border to Border Trail?

I think my plan will be to head straight to Grand Forks (perhaps 5 days depending on distance and terrain) where I plan to visit a friend for a few days. After, I am thinking of heading north into Canada and taking the TCAT back home.
  5. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you'll have a fantastic trip and I'm a bit envious. I've barely had time to ride this year.

I hand plotted a track file for the Border to Border route a year ago, but they have since made a very significant change to the western side of it. I'll see if I can fix my track with the current proposed route for you. Might take me a day or two.
    UP Matt likes this.
  6. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As always, reference @Cannonshot because he has most likely done a cool trip that you can get great ideas from. I see @Tiger993 beat me to it.

Cool resources @Grizzmug thanks for sharing. I was overwhelmed by how many spots there were on Freecampsites.net in an area I'm pretty familiar with, and the first two I clicked on sounded like great options that I had no idea about so I was very impressed. Looking a bit deeper though, it seems a lot of them are highway rest areas or Walmart parking lots. Still a good resource, but it tempered my excitement a bit.

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Fat fingered the "send" much earlier than my planned reply.
    UP Matt likes this.
  7. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome and I sure would appreciate it! I am pretty excited about the trip. It will be my first trip over 4 days long and I will be visiting a friend I haven't seen in 5 years.
  8. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Freecampsites.net is my go-to for truck camping. I can find a site just about anywhere and just having the truck with a normal topper makes it real easy to blend in. Not sure I would be excited about pitching a tent in a walmart parking lot, though.
  9. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    PM'd you.
  10. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are the links to my tracks out to Grand Forks. Hopefully, they will work.
    https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary...WithLabels,Satellite,usfs-recsites,usfs-roads
    https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary...WithLabels,Satellite,usfs-recsites,usfs-roads

My tentative plan is to do it in about 4 days averaging about 225 miles/day. I am sure the UPAT will be relatively slow, and that the western part of Minnesota will be quick.
    Aside from that, I will have 8, 9, or 10 days to get home depending on how long I visit Grand Forks for. I could have up to 12, but I would prefer to be home for a couple of days before I start classes. Does anyone have a particular route they would recommend for me to take back?
    Tiger993 likes this.
  11. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    Looks fun! What are you riding? I hope you have a comfortable seat.
  13. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a drz400s running knobbies. My seat, unfortunately, is quite uncomfortable.