1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Upcoming Free Dirt/Dual Sport Clinic

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by FrankF, Mar 4, 2003.

1. FrankF

FrankF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd put this out there in case anyone else might be interested in attending. I'm planning on making it.

Its DocWongs Dirt Clinc

Next Dirt and Dual Sport Clinics (format is Friday night 7:15pm at my
    office and Saturday or Sunday 9am at Hollister Hills)

March 28th and 30th (Friday night and Sunday) Hollister Hills Area 5!

Here is how to get info about the Doc-Rides

To get the latest announcements on my Riding Clinics subscribe to the
    Doc-Ride Mail-list!

Send an E-mail to: listproc@micapeak.com with:

"Subscribe Doc-Ride YOUR NAME" as the body of the email. Replace "YOUR NAME"
    with your name.
  2. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you go to the saturday part w/o the friday part for those of us who cannot make both?

Thanks!
  3. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...The Doc dirt clinic I went to had lots of folks show up in the dirt that had skipped the office. Doc prefers you're there for the dirt or make other arrangements (so he knows you know what to do in various situations).

Friday is a talk/lecture about dirt riding techniques (i.e.: the "classroom" portion).

Best bet is to contact Doc directly for exceptions like you're shooting for...

Thwack
  4. FrankF

FrankF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Docs classes, including dirt are a good resource for a complete newbie. There's a lot of talk and some practice drills and a high calamari factor.
    Frank's correct in that Doc usually has this clinic in conjunction with Kari Prager. He's the owner of California BMW.

If anyone thinks they ride GSs well off road I'd suggest spending a day with Kari. You'll learn a few things.

I used to help Kari teach Cal BMW's dirt clinic.
    And, while Docs classes are okay, I really think he misses some important GS-specific instruction.

If Kari's not helping Doc with this one (and you don't have anything better to do) and you would like to learn what riding on dirt is like, attend Docs class...just take it easy. He really doesn't understand GSs and the physics of going through things rather than over them.

For better instruction I'd suggest that a few of you approach Kari and find out if he would be willing to conduct a dirt skills clinic and classroom at Cal like we did last year. He is a great instructor.
    He's is very GS (F650 and R bike) specific and will spend enough one-on-one time with newer riders to make them feel welcome and less intimidated than Doc does.
    That's my $.02.
    Oh, and Doc makes you sign a release which is then used for his Chiropractic Clinic's mailing list.....Or at least it used to be that way.....So that later he can send you :spam .......Grrrrrrr...

Cheers,
    Jorge

Ps Harry's a nice guy but has a thing for dead Sci-fi writers and chiroquakery ........but that's for Jo Momma.
  6. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one I went to was mostly taught by Doc with Kari (the owner of Cal BMW) chiming in on how big bike riders should interpret what Doc just said...then everybody partied together in the dirt...

Oh yeah, not one shred of his religion every wafted my way...your mileage may vary but I learned and didn't get burned...

Thwack
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    The Doc Wong fight is now in Jo Momma

Have at it:lol3
  8. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fight? What fight? Simply two gentlemen discussing their opposing views on a subject.