1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Upcoming trip !!!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by yamtastic, Mar 12, 2016.

1. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll advocate, that if you want to come to Michigan, the west coast/Northern Michigan/UP are the places to visit. I would start somewhere down state on the Lake Michigan coastline and ride up through Grand Haven, Ludington, Traverse City, Petoskey, Mackinac then cross the bridge and through the UP, either US2 or up along the Lake Superior coast.

If you end up in the Petoskey area, let me know and I'll meet you for a pint!
    yamtastic likes this.
  2. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you hit Death Valley let me know. I'd be happy to share some miles, beer, and stories with fellow international motorcycle travelers. Be warned. It will be HOT. Near 50 degrees Celsius. Hydrate like a champ.

Your trip is going to be amazing. Best to stay flexible and spend time where you want to. Make time on the highway, make memories on the byway.
    yamtastic likes this.
  3. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    Unless you are used to riding in 98+degF and 80+%RH, seriously consider rerouting your trip to stay out of SW and deep south until October. While it is possible to do so safely, riding for extended periods in those conditions will be anything but fun... unless you just want to experience it, well, for the experience of it.

Those of us who live in the south and ride in hot summers for yrs have time to acclimate to it. The human body does this by increasing the volume of blood in circulation to cope with the increased heat rejection load. That does not happen in a few days. Study this document and prepare yourselves accordingly with the proper gear and hydrating regiment. Naked bikes, like those Bonnevilles, are actually not the ideal type for hot weather riding. Beyond what is necessary for sweat evaporative cooling, any more air flow above 93degF ambient temp is adding even more heat load.

That said, enjoy your trip. It will for sure be an adventure of a lifetime. Keep up posted during the ride. Would love to putt alone with y'all for a bit when you roll through my neck of the woods.
    wb57 likes this.
  4. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Here's a decent Motorcycle Road guide.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?s=75

So as to not cause major arguments here, these are merely suggested roads as submitted by random riders. They should NOT be viewed as "the best" which is obviously 100% subjective, and very open to opinion. As can be imagined "best" means a lot of different things to different people. :beer

A good site to peruse on a rainy day, and it also provides you with a starting point for some plans.

Have fun!

BTW, there are plenty of these type sites around, just search for "Motorcycle Roads, USA", but beware of any "Best" lists, as they get pretty contentuous!:lol3 Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has at least one. :umph
    yamtastic likes this.
  5. yamtastic

yamtastic Safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Hahaha...thanks for that! Any decent road recommendations are always welcome!!! No matter how contentious :lol2:lol2
  6. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting, and helpful to know what you are into - what kind of stuff do you most like to see? Do?

My wife and I for example always try to include two things - when possible - into every trip: A reasonably long ( at least three hours) trip on an actual Steam Locomotive Train, and/or a lunch or dinner on an old Mississippi Style Paddlewheel Boat. Motorcycle Museums are also a "must do".

I enjoy architecture and history, she apparently likes to purchase things (just kidding :augie).

What type of things are you interested in seeing?