1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Upcoming US Tour and Mexico Trip

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by AggieRider, Apr 29, 2007.

1. AggieRider

AggieRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I am new here at ADVrider but I just picked up a 2006 red wee strom and I am looking forward to graduating from Texas A&M in a few weeks here. I am starting my job July 30 :lol3 which gives me 2 months off to ride the western US and do a trip into mexico. :D I plan to do some offroad or gravel roads, especially at my destinations but predominately it will be slab. When at certain locations though, I want to go offroad some and explore.

I am looking for input into things I should see and do while planning the trip. I am leaving from Houston TX and I am planning to head west, visiting the hill country in Texas real quick on my way out, see enchanted rock, go to Big bend for a day or two and ride the river road to presidio. From there I will leave Texas and head to New Mexico.

In New Mexico I have no plans yet but if anyone from that state could recommend a route or some things to see please do so.

In Arizona, I plan to visit the Grand Canyon and saguaro national park. (Unforetunately they are on opposite sides of the state.) Any other recommendations and/or routes for Arizona are appreciated.

Now on to California. I may want to see Joshua Tree Natl Park if it is a must see, if not then I may want to head strait across to Las Vegas and then on to Death Valley, Sequoia and Yosemite Parks. I also want to see the Pacific Coast Highway and ride along it. I also want to see the "Lost Coast" (where is that BTW). From the coast or Yosemite, (whichever is better route wise) I would like to head to the Redwood Forests and the park up there.

After California, I am considering Oregon and Washington, particularly if anyone has any exceptional things to see and do, or some nice routes from these areas. In Oregon, I have read a few reports and it is beautiful, especially with the coast and the forests everywhere. Any ride routes or advice for this state is also sought.

If I nix oregon and washington due to priorities or time limits, then I will go to Yellowstone park. I could take a scenic ride through Oregon and Idaho to get there. Then I would love to see Grand Teton Natl Park or that area. From there I will visit a friend in Wyoming and head into either colorado or Utah.

In Utah, I want to see Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, maybe Bryce Parks. I have seen some amazing ride reports from Utah and will do lots more research on this area but if anyone has suggestions for routes or extra things to do, please post up.

On to Colorado. I have been here a few times but normally just slab it to denver and then off to Breckenride to ski or hike. I am looking for routes or top attractions to do in Colorado. Maybe I can do Rocky Mountain Natl Park. While in Colorado, I plan to stay at a friends cabin and hike some of the 14ers there. (Maybe 2 of them) From colorado, it will be time to shoot back home to Texas to rest for a while and prepare for the mexico trip. I am sure the bike will need some service before the next adventure.

For this trip, I am planning on June 16th to July 10th or so. This gives me roughly 3.5 weeks to complete the trip. Depending on the length of the trip (amount of states I try and see) I plan the trip to be roughly 7000 miles plus or minus a couple hundred. :lol3(This is assuming no Washington and little jogging in oregon) I figure around 300 miles a day on average which would take into account the shorter or longer days depending on the destination.

Do you guys think I am crazy or can this be done? If I did an average of 300 a day, this is entirely possible but I am not sure if this is realistic.

Anyway, sorry to ramble so long, but I hope to hear replys to help plan the trip and I will be sure to try and post an epic ride report. I was hoping people from each state or people with experience in those states could give their opinion on whats best in their state, how long it takes to do each thing, etc.. This will help give me a realistic trip length. Thanks for your help, Nathan
  2. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    From BB head N from Van Horn towards Guadalupe, Carlsbad, then 82 East to Cloudcroft. Be sure to stop at the Marfa Prada, close to Valentine actually:
    [​IMG]
    Then take NM244 from Coudcroft to US 70, through Ruidoso to Lincoln then Carizzozo. 380 West to Socorro the US60 West past the VLA, get pie at Pie Town for sure:
    [​IMG]
    From there head to Alpine AZ and South on 191, one great road:
    [​IMG]
    The road is about 90 miles of just twisty road, few cars, maybe one gas at Hannigan Meadow. That ends by Clifton and from there you can go South to Saguaro (and Organ Pipe) or North to the GC. All of the above is paved but there are gravel/dirt options. Enjoy!
  3. AggieRider

AggieRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. That is a better route than just taking 1-10 west thru all those states and that 191 looks awesome. Now I am covered through most of Arizona.

BTW, which mapping software for PC should I use? I am planning to get a Garmin GPS for the trip. Probably a 276c or something like it with a fairly large screen so I can navigate the trip. Is the Garmin Mapsource? software free? Thanks again guys, and I would love it if someone from California could recommend a route through their state.
  4. dandeployed

dandeployed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Flagstaff, AZ. If you come my way, and you should if you're going to the Grand Canyon, you're more than welcome crash at my house. I also just got a red 06 Wee and am doing as much exploring as I possibly can. I can take you on a couple of my favorite local routes. In the month I've had my Wee, I've yet to go a bad ride around here. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you my contact info.

Dan
  5. AggieRider

AggieRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, I have been working on my route in mapsource for the western tour. Although I have not incorporated all the suggestions yet, I will investigate them more and makes changes to the route up until the departure date which should be late June. I am attaching a pic of the route and the mapsource file. It is 5400 miles which seems intimidating for a newbie at moto touring and camping. Thanks for any input or route change suggestions. (Especially for super slow areas, areas of really high traffic, or roads that could accomplish similar results but more spectacular) Thanks again, Nathan

Attached Files:

6. AggieRider

AggieRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The gpx file is attached.(actually it is too big) For some readon the gpx seems to be blocky with straight lines between waypoints while the gdp looks as I intended. Is this normal?

BTW, feel free to critique the route. I know riding on I-10 will suck but I wanted to save time and get to california quicker.

Thanks in advance. Nathan
  7. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course I10 sucks more than most. The problem I would have with that route is that you are going through the hottest parts of the country the hottest time of year. Death Valley is already over 100. I love the place and have taken that route many times but it is no fun in the summer. You've got loads of time so why hurry, California sucks anyway:rofl,high gas prices, funny gas hoses, etc. If you plan to camp it is not much fun that time of year in the desert areas. think higher country!
  8. boulderbean

boulderbean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Cloudcroft to Socorro to US 60. Also agree with stopping for a slice in Pie Town.
    I have been on this route in June and it was cool for most of the way across NM as you spend most of the time in upper elevations.

Once into AZ you can head south on 191 as suggested above or continue west and north to Flagstaff as offered.

You can make good times on this route - what slows you down the most is stopping to check out the sights
    http://www.socorrosprings.com/
    http://www.vla.nrao.edu/
    http://www.dailypie.com/