Update on right side heat problem R1200GS WC

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mountainguy, Jul 10, 2014.

1. mountainguy

mountainguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't find the original thread, so this is a new one. I rode my 2014 R1200GS today in 90 degree F heat. I shut the bike off and felt the temperature of various parts of the right and left sides of the bike near the radiators and seat. The right side is definitely much hotter, all the way from the radiator exhaust shroud back to the seats. Just using your hand, you can feel a big difference in the temperature of plastic parts, engine guard and the right side of the drivers and passengers seats.

The aluminum electronic module under the right side of the drivers seat also gets hot adding to the problem. Since this part has the shape of a heat exchanger, I would assume it is also generating heat.

The parts on the left side of the bike were slightly warm, but not enough to cause and discomfort to the driver and passenger.

I will rig up an exhaust shroud extender to push the exhaust from the radiator outlet out further away on the right side of the bike. I'll report how well this works. I don't think the left side gets hot enough to worry about.
    Burningleftleg likes this.
  2. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    we ride in 100F (37C) over here.

topping 105F ( 40C ) is common.

I have no heat issues with my water GS , even in Jams.

But I don't ride in shorts and slippers.

3. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    This raises an interesting point concerning the OP's habits. How do you ride your bike? Boots, running shoes, shorts, pants, thong? :D

Lee
  4. Kevin Dixon

Kevin Dixon Motorrad Abenteurer

Oddometer:
    Riding in the Philippines (hot is an understatement) in Metro Manila traffic and also haven't noticed any abnormal heat. I ride with A* riding shoes, jeans, Revit mesh jacket.
  5. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    Me think that the OP is riding butt nikid and will soon tell us how he toasted his right testicle (toasticule?) :D
  6. Byrdguy

Byrdguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The heat only seems to be a problem at highway speeds. I really think it's coming from the exhaust/cat converter which is on the right side. If it came from the radiators, it would be on both sides of the bike.
  7. mountainguy

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I am the one being referred to as the OP, but I ride in protective riding gear and boots. On my bike it is definitely NOT the catalytic converter creating the heat. The plastic radiator outlet shroud on the right side will be very hot along with other parts that get hit by the air coming out of that shroud. The same exact parts on the left side are barely warm. There is no doubt that the heat is coming from the right side radiator.

My coolant reservoir is full, but maybe I have something wrong with the fan or how the coolant is flowing through the bike. My temperature sensor goes up to about 212 degrees F and then the fan comes on and the temperature drops. I can't understand how my bike could get so hot on the right side and another bike running in 100 degree plus temperatures would not be getting hot. My seat gets uncomfortably hot and I feel the heat through my riding pants.
  8. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    this sounds very suspect actually. I rode yesterday it was around 92 or so no heat issues. My Ducati gets MUCH toastier.
  9. Kevin Dixon

Kevin Dixon Motorrad Abenteurer

Oddometer:
    I rode a Yamaha R1 before and that thing was a furnace so my opinion on what is considered heat may be a little skewed.
  10. mountainguy

Oddometer:
    Please elaborate on what you mean by "sounds very suspect"? I am one of several who have reported this problem. Are we all "suspect"?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986062&highlight=heat
  11. Twisted1

Twisted1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I wonder if all have the issue or not.
    My 2014 GS LC never seems hot to me.

I live in florida and its 90deg out almost every day.

I also have an HP4.
    Now that thing cooks me on a hot day.
    I generally ride it at night or in the fall/winter.

I find my GS to be a relaxing cool(er) ride.
    Quite comfortable around town and 500 mile rides.

Wonder if mine doesnt radiate as much heat as those complaining?
  12. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    (OP = Original Poster - the person who started the thread, FY)

One thing to consider is the direction of flow of the coolant. I have not taken the time to look for a diagram, but if the hot coolant from the engine enters that right hand radiator first, and then flows to the left radiator, it would make the right one hotter than the left one, as some of the heat would have been removed before coolant got to the left side. Can this "problem" be as simple as that?
  13. SS Twin

SS Twin GS 4 ADV

Oddometer:
    MountainGuy, I agree 100% with you and your experience. My 2014 GSW is fine below 85 F. Above that, at highway speeds, there is an increasing amount of heated air flowing out and over the right side of the engine. At 70-80 mph I can put my hand behind the right radiator exit and feel super heated air flow coming out and over the right side and wafting back to my right thigh.

Also, as expected, when it is that hot, the engine coolant temp on the display is around 206-209 F. At cooler ambient temps, it usually hovers at 184-188 F.

Just so I too am not considered "suspect", I ride with full gear including long riding pants, full coverage boots and mesh jacket.

I do believe that you are on the right tack with the deflector shields. Please keep us posted and consider me a volunteer for some beta testing if you need it. I also believe that my bike, with 1500 miles is operating perfectly, runs fantastic, has no lean surge or any other out of spec symptoms.
    karter18 likes this.
  14. mountainguy

Oddometer:
    According to the coolant flow diagram, the hot coolant first flows through the left hand radiator. It then goes to the right hand radiator and then back through the engine. At highway speeds, there is a lot of air flow through both radiators and the left radiator would expel a lot of heat since it sees the hot coolant first. Around town and without much air flow, the left radiator may not expel much heat. The job would then go to the right radiator operating with fan assist.

I haven't noticed a heat problem on the left side, but a couple of other posters have. This problem may vary depending on how fast and also how hard the bike is being ridden. The harder the bike is ridden, the more heat generated by the engine. It is even possible that BMW has made changes to address this problem on newer bikes. Or there could be some variation in coolant flow rates caused by who knows what. Just guessing.

The fact that Aeroflow is working on air deflectors for the radiator exhausts tells me that they are well aware of this problem and think there is a market for this product.
  15. cessnadog

cessnadog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '14 GSWA is certainly warmer on the right side. Living in Minnesota it isn't a real problem... But the right side is hotter.
  16. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    When I get home, the first of the week, I'll use my laser Pyrometer and get some actual readings. I only have a couple hundred miles on mine but noticed that the engine heat seemed much higher then any of my RT's. I would think a water cooled engine would run cooler then an air/oil cooled one. What I'm feeling my be do to the fact that the RT has more plastic shrouding to deflect the heat.
  17. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    More horsepower generally means the engine will produce more heat. With the LC the heat is transferred to the liquid and to the radiator for cooling. Seems BMW may not have done a good job of managing the heat path on the new GS's.

Paul
  18. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    As anyone who lives in the Midwest will tell you moist heat always feels much hotter than dry heat. The new water cooled bikes put out moist heat where as the hex heads put out dry heat. Even at the same engine temp, any water cooled bike will always feel like it is putting out more heat than an air / oil cooled bike
  19. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as the watercooled engine is not evaporating cooling liquid in an open cooling system, this makes absolutely no sense at all.

The difference might be that the right side radiator has a fan which blows hot air out the back of the shroud towards the leg of the rider.
    Kyle K, Hrc1 and stellarpod like this.
  20. cessnadog

cessnadog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't this this is it either. The fan doesn't come on until the coolant hits 212 or so. My bike consistently runs 180 to 182 while moving.

Ok, time to dig out the infrared thermometer.