UPDATE!! Shoei / Revzilla Helmet warning

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sonny S., Jun 17, 2019.

1. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend purchased a brand new Shoei Hornet DS helmet from Revzilla on 11/2015 on sale for $300. Revzilla website says all helmets on sale or closeout come with the manufacturers warranty, which for this Shoei helmet is 7 years from the date of production and 5 years from the date of purchase.
    She recently had an issue with the visor so she emailed Shoei directly including the receipt from Revzilla stating it was purchased 3.5 years ago and pictures of the helmet.

Shoei replied saying they wanting pictures inside the helmet for the production date. Upon doing so we found the helmet was manufactured 11/2007. Shoei said the helmet is old and expired, it's not covered under warranty and she should replace it. So with that said, Revzilla sold a helmet as new yet it was 8 years old and 1 year outside of any warranty, and by manufacturer standards, expired and should not be used.

Upon contacting Revzilla we were told it was up to the customer to check the date of manufacture when they received the helmet, and it's not covered and the side with Shoei. They offered a 15% discount on a new helmet.
    They also stated that ANY helmet that is on sale or clearance " may not come with a warranty" and it should be expected.

So with that said, the warning is, if you purchase a new helmet don't assume as we did that it's new stock and comes with a full warranty.
    Check the date of manufacture!!
    Lesson learned.
    18832-1-1.jpg
  2. grayelky

grayelky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me I will not be purchasing ANY helmet from those fine folks. I prefer folks who believe in taking care of their customers, not hiding behind some back door warranty issue. They should have been up front when they sold a helmet that old. Shame on them. Come to think of it, if they will do shoddy things like this with helmets, what else will they do with other products?
  3. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED, WRITTEN, OR IMPLIED is made on any products made or sold by RevZilla.com. All descriptions given by RevZilla.com as to function are for reference only and are not a guarantee."

That is what their Terms and Conditions read. Sometimes one has to acknowledge that EU consumer protection laws have some benefits :-) Especially the recent ones concerning protective gear certification that made most "premium" motorcycle brands label their gear "outdoor activity" rather than motorcycle protection garments.
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, you bought a closeout helmet at a discount. Why do you think it was sold at a discount? Because it was new stock? No, probably because the was slow moving inventory, also known as "old".

What is the issue with the visor? Its a moving part that's exposed during use, so there's no way that it would develop a problem or wear at all.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'd expect that a closeout helmet would be a few years old already, but not that it was 8 years old. I'd be pissed to if that were the case, seeing as how RevZilla's own videos would explain that it's past it's useful life at that point.

I'm sorry you learned this lesson the hard way, but I'm glad you learned it for me - I'll be diligent about checking date stickers on new lids.
    lithodave, MikeinSA, Suruppak and 5 others like this.
  6. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Selling something at discount or closeout doesn't mean it's "expired" according to the manufacturer. These are two completely different things. If you go to a supermarket, do you expect the discounted food to have already gone rotten? "Expired" means it should no longer be used and should therefore not be sold, especially as "new".
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's BS and you know it. She has 5 other Shoei helmets and has never owned another brand. Very loyal to Shoei but clearly Shoei isn't loyal in return. ( she won't own another) It's just been common knowledge from ads THAT shoei comes with a 5 year warranty. Most people ( except you of course) would naturally think that's from day of purchase even if it was purchased on sale. It was a sale on high end helmet from a huge supplier. No one ( except you of course) would expect they are buying a $300 helmet that by manufacturer standards is no longer SAFE to wear.
    Seems to me Shoei would not be allowed or even want to sell a helmet that is unsafe.

Its deceptive business practices and even you know that. This is a way for them to sell off old stock rather than eat it.
    99% of the customers won't know and won't have need to contact Shoei so it never goes detected that you just spent $300 on a helmet that by manufacturer standards has already expired and should not be used.

The visor blew off the helmet at 60 mph while we were on a trip . Upon inspection of what was left their cheap as plastic screws came loose.
    Yes it's our responsibility to check the screws. Whatever. This isn't about the helmet actually being defective. We were really just hoping Shoei would offer a replacement visor for less than the $80!!!! retail price.
    Good things came out of it though. Their BS sneaky business practices were brought to light.

This WARNING is about educating the consumer.
    Not Shoei helmets are junk.
  8. petertakov

Oddometer:
    "Them" being Revzilla, I hope, because it's actually them selling the "expired" helmet, not Shoei. The clause from Revzilla's T&C, that I quoted, is actually pretty disappointing, especially for such a huge retailer.
    SmittyBlackstone and Sonny S. like this.
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is disappointing in many ways.
    Shoei wasn't even concerned that expired helmets are being sold. Revzilla basically says too bad you didn't know this but we'll give you 15% off on a new helmet.
    It's her choice whether to wear a technically expired helmet.
    Neither Shoei or Revzilla even offered a replacement visor at a discount.
    and.... $80 for a cheap ass plastic visor? I only paid $129 for my AFX DS helmet and nothing fell off of it.
    petertakov likes this.
  10. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing is I've posted an ad here in the FS section looking for a visor, checked ebay etc. She was holding off buying a new visor for $80 hoping to find one because she likes the helmet.
    I said contact Shoei, it's under warranty and even though the helmet isn't technically defective the visor did blow off and maybe they'll replace the visor or discount one.

Things happen for a reason. She's bummed though because Shoei was her brand.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    if dates on things matter this much to you, it's on you to check the dates on things.

it would have been an easy return, had you checked when you opened it.

things get discounted for a reason. it's on the buyer to be aware.

i don't fault anyone but the buyer in this one.
    Graniteone, Patch and MacG like this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well @ohgood has spoken.
    Dates do matter when it comes to a warranty and most people " think" the warranty is from date of purchase.
    Now ourselves as well as many others here know what you already knew.
    Check the date on any product that comes with a warranty.
    And yes, if we knew then what we know NOW we would have returned it.
    Again.... Lesson learned.
  13. petertakov

Oddometer:
    A lot of "premium" goods rely on past glory and effective marketing. They "premiumness" also make their owners feel good :-))) Superior quality is not always a given with these products.

That said, I wear Shoei myself and its visor is more scratch resistant and optically transparent than the visors of any of my previous helmets. The reason I chose it is not the brand but the fact that it fitted me best of all I tried at the time and it's also light and compact (the shell). I won't hesitate to go for another brand next time if I find one that I like better. I find brand loyalty a completely irrational way of avoiding actual research. Of course, every informed decision inevitably relies on the other party being open and fair and that is something Revzilla haven't been in you case.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW for those that post " things get discounted for a reason" yes, and more often than not it's because of the never ending model change and clearing out last model inventory or slower selling products.
    Not because it's no longer safe to wear.
    Smaug1, Undocumented and shinyribs like this.
  15. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I say visor on this helmet I'm taking about the duck bill. This is a Dual Sport helmet. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that.
    You are correct about the clarity of what I call the face shield. It is better than my cheaper helmets.
    Tall Man and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the reason she's gone with Shoei time and time again. They really fit her well. And they are known to be high quality.
    petertakov likes this.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    is it unsafe because it's missing the visor, out because the owner realized the date stamp was "old' ?
  18. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Apparently, they are unsafe because Shoei themselves say so. Hard to argue with the manufacturer himself, although one can obviously speculate that they don't want us wearing the same Shoei helmet for decades - not good for business :-))
    SmittyBlackstone, Sonny S. and ohgood like this.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i never can remember what the official eol is for helmets. I'm guessing it varies from each manufacturer
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither to us.