UPDATE!! Shoei / Revzilla Helmet warning

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sonny S., Jun 17, 2019.

1. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. Revzilla selling out of date helmets is probably illegal, it's unethical at best. Shoei allowing them to do it is also unethical. I wont be giving any of my money to either company in the future now that we know how they do business. I have read that expensive helmets, shoei, Aria, etc aren't actually any better than a 200 dollar helmet. Makes you wonder
    AZ Pete, ohgood and petertakov like this.
  2. grogger123

grogger123 fatbastard

Oddometer:
    When you say “problem with the visor” what do you mean? There is a difference between “fair wear and tear” and a “manufacturing defect”. I would have thought 4 years (irrespective of date of manufacture) is a reasonable life for a visor. At the end of the day your girlfriend took a punt buying a clearance item, and got four years out of it. Obviously she was hoping for a longer life, hence this post. Looking at the current price of a Shoei Hornet, you are looking to pay $US600 (ish) or more for one. Is it fair to assume the $300 paid was significantly less than the price of a then current model? I suppose the lesson here is if something sounds too good to be true: proceed with caution.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK one last time I promise.
    The " expectation" was to purchase a NEW high end helmet from a large and well known manufacturer through a large and well known distributor and AT LEAST receive a helmet that the manufacturer themselves doesn't say is expired and should be replaced.

Please hear the message and not translate that into a customer wanting something for nothing... Sheesh.
  4. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OP may share some responsibility however you can't put lipstick on this, if Revzilla sold an out of date helmet. The manufactures have been telling us that you need to replace a helmet at whatever age they are currently using, but then they allow the sale of out of date helmets . This whole helmet date deal is a big scam in my opinion. Take a good look at a 200 dollar helmet and compare it to a 600 dollar helmet, I don't see where the 600 dollar lid can be worth 3 times what the cheaper helmet cost. By the way I have 3 Arias, guess I don't practice what I preach but those days are over.
  5. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't tell the difference between a Bilt helmet and a Shoei or an Arai (it's ARAI)? Really?

I understand the argument that a $200 helmet and a $600 helmet can both pass DOT therefore there's "no difference between them", and even that I think is an oversimplification, but there is definitely a difference between the high end helmets and the bargain helmets in terms of quality of materials, design, and construction. More advanced shell materials and construction, more internal liner and shell sizes across the size lineup, multi-layer multi-density multi-zone eps liners, better internal materials used for the stuff that touches your face and head, more adjustability, better visors, visor attachment mechanisms, vents, paint, lighter weight, better balance, aerodynamics tuned in a wind tunnel, and so on.

"A Lada is no different than a Lexus" is a similar argument because they can both convey a person from point A to point B. At least once. But I digress.

Now, with all that out of the way, this is certainly a cautionary tale to those who may not have bought a motorcycle helmet before, but honestly, for those of us who have been buying them for a while, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't look at the date code on your clearance sale helmet to see how old it was. Shoei's policy is not that much different the other manufacturers, the helmets have a limited life as far as their warranty liability is concerned, and that's not unreasonable. Again, pretty common.

I'll admit I was a bit surprised that it appears you were able to purchase an 8 year old helmet from Revzilla, but I was warned very early in my helmet buying career to be careful with discount helmets sold online. No matter the retailer. The reason they are heavily discounted is because they have been sitting in the warehouse for a while, and each year into that warranty lifetime reduces its value.

I don't know of any manufacturer that would make a retailer pull helmets from stock after a certain date. If anyone knows of one, let us know. As far as they're concerned, they have no liability after the warranty expires, so what difference does it make to them? It's buyer beware at that point, you were warned.

And let me point out another of Shoei's disclaimers (and other manufacturers may have this as well, I think Arai and Nolan do). If you buy a Shoei from a dealer in a country outside your country of residence, any manufacturer warranty from Shoei is null and void. They state this very clearly in their literature and on their website. Found a good deal from an online retailer in Germany, or Italy? Better be aware that helmet will have no manufacturer warranty with it. But the retailer won't tell you that, usually, and Shoei won't prevent them from selling it to you, so are they still to blame?

Let me put forth a different scenario. Would you be less upset if it turned out the helmet you bought 4 years ago was only 6 years and 11 months old, instead of 8?

Again, this is a great reminder to check the date of manufacture on any helmet you buy, whether online or in the store, whether "new" or on clearance, if having a manufacturer's warranty is important to you.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have already made this observation in a slightly different context, but the amount of forum members selling, promoting or generally pushing products, services or brands on this forum has grown exponentially to the point where the consumers are at risk of becoming a minority. Now, add to that the sincere fanboys and the very basic reflex to blame the victim and the picture inevitably gets a bit grim.

You don't see, because you are looking in the wrong direction - at the helmet. Now take a look at the advertising and promotional campaigns for the 200 and 600$ helmets and you will see where the money have gone. Also, have you seen someone from MotoGP wearing a 200$ helmet brand? No? There you go :-))

Motorcycling has largely become a middle age, middle/upper class lifestyle snobbery and the manufacturers have adapted accordingly. Most of the riders practice their hobby in such a mellow manner that they put next to zero strain on their gear, equipment and motorcycles. All they want is to look good NEXT to their GSs and Multistradas. No wonder BMW and Ducati are statistically the least reliable motorcycles and yet they are considered THE premium "adventure" brands. Now, you tell me - what is the most important gear quality for an actual adventure? It's the same with everything else. All that matters is image.
  7. petertakov

Oddometer:
    I buy tyres online from Germany. Their respective body (Reifenindustrie und der Bundesverband Reifenhandel und Vulkaniseur-Handwerk eV (BRV) has agreed that only tyres with a DOT of up to 3 years can be sold as "new". Any older tyre has its actual DOT indicated next to the article itself. Also, all new tyres sold have (by law) a 2 year warranty as from the date of purchase so all that Revzilla "no warranty whatsoever" s"$£t won't fly and it's up to the retailer to know what he is selling and it makes sense - he probably knows the business much better than the consumer.

That is how it's done.
    SmittyBlackstone and Sonny S. like this.
  8. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if Revzilla was like that before the CycleGear buyout. I got two closeout helmets from RevZilla and they were just under three years old-I checked. I thought it was fair for the price
    SmittyBlackstone and petertakov like this.
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted this to bring awareness to something I was unaware of.
    Blame me, side with whomever I honestly don't care.
    I do know that a least a few people this moring have checked the dates in their recently purchased helmets and most certainly will when they buy a new one regardless or the manufacturer, supplier or price paid.
    Mission accomplished.

I have a helmet I still wear at times that's 20ish years old. My choice and I'm not hung up on the date of my OLD helmets.
  10. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Maybe it depends on what they are made of but I strongly suspect that it is more of a liability risk management than anything else.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

sorry Sonny i totally mistook your premise. :-)

so many threads start with "watch out for xyz" when they really mean something else.

:-)
  12. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sincerely doubt that Revzillas "disclaimer" would survive a court challenge when selling safety equipment that is new old stock that is no longer safe to use, according to the manufacturer.

I appreciate the heads up, and will shop accordingly.

Most purchasers likely do not look for the manufacturers date on safety items whether it be helmets or tires, for that matter.
  13. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    No need to defend your post, Sonny. Let the internet police continue their righteousness.

Helmet manufacturers don't know what happens to their helmets once they leave the factory. So the "Replace at 5 years" depends, at least IMO. If it sits in the box for awhile, it hasn't aged near as quickly as one that's being worn.
    Thx for the heads up.
    SmittyBlackstone and Sonny S. like this.
  14. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting see how that case would play out. I suspect it would only have cause if there was an injury involved to the wearer. But I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea what I'm talking about.
  15. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But is that warranty provided by the retailer, or the manufacturer? Unless it's a brand new helmet you just bought from Revzilla that has something break off, they are usually going to refer you to the manufacturer for warranty. Now, where Revzilla has gone above and beyond for me, and why I'm hesitant to immediately paint them as a bad seller, is that they've performed the role of warranty provider by sending me a replacement on things that the manufacturer was making it difficult to get taken care of. But they don't have to do that.

It would be nice if the retailer would indicate the build date on the clearance helmet you were buying from them, but their stock may be all over the map as to what the dates are, so it would need to be communicated after the sale when the item is pulled, or they'd need to go in and separate out the helmets according to date range and sell them accordingly grouped. Which no retailer will do unless required to by law.
  16. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Revzilla has had a good customer service reputation in the past. I'd be throwing a shit fit with them.
    If the manufacturer says they are out dated and should be replaced, then Revzilla shouldn't be selling them.
  17. petertakov

Oddometer:
    It is always the retailer who is responsible for the warranty. The consumer has no obligation whatsoever to even contact the manufacturer. Furthermore, the consumer can ask for redress in case the product sold is not fit for purpose, which is clearly the case with an "expired" helmet.
  18. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    This is not true in all cases, and will depend on any particular retailer/manufacturer combo. Some retailers will refer you to the manufacturer and vise versa.
  19. petertakov

Oddometer:
    As mentioned in my previous posts, I was referring specifically to the EU where the retailer can not redirect the consumer to anyone else, including the manufacturer. There is a completely different so-called "commercial warranty" that covers the relations between the manufacturers, distributors and retailers but it does not concern the consumer.
  20. petertakov

Oddometer:
    ... I really am shocked by how some peop!e could claim that selling a product, that according to its own manufacturer is no longer fulfilling its main purpose (protection), is acceptable just because it was discounted. Perhaps consumer protection is very different in the USA. If you were buying a discounted gun wouldn't expect it to fire?
    AZ Pete likes this.