UPDATE!! Shoei / Revzilla Helmet warning

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sonny S., Jun 17, 2019.

1. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    This is a bad deal. RevZilla has bent over backwards for me several times in the past. I never grumble to them. I'll contact them with what's going on and ask what my options are. 100% of the time they will respond within the hour and the problem is solved. On some occasions they will issue a refund and go one further by giving me additional store credit as an apology. I've felt guilty over this in the past and told them to remove the additional credit. Every time they have told me to just keep the credit as they are in a position to be helpful.

So this seems quite out of character. I hope that company isn't turning over a new leaf- for the bad.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Ah, got it - thanks for clarifying.

I'm shocked, too, but... ya know... FREEDOM!!! or something...

Some states (i.e. only California, as far as I'm aware) are upping some consumer protection laws, but they're really only based around personal data and roughly mimic GDPR. I know in the UK (and maybe more broadly in Europe, I'm not sure) there's a legal definition for "fit for purpose" which doesn't exist here, or least I've not heard it used as such.
    petertakov and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Way to give the subject some relatability to US consumers. Fucking awesome.
  4. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    A lot of comments in the thread saying how the helmet is expired or unsafe according to manufacturers recommendations X years after date of manufacturer.

That does not fit with the actual recommendation according to Shoei website.

“Helmet Replacement
    Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:
    1. The helmet was subjected to an impact.
    2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
    3. The EPS liner has come away from the helmet shell.
    4. The EPS liner shows signs of wear and is beginning to break up, or if it has been exposed to heat or a solvent and has melted. There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
    5. Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.”

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmet-maintenance/
  5. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are two stickers on this helmet. One says manufacture month/year 11/07. The other sticker says production date 071113. So was it manufactured in 2013 or 2007?

This is surprising from Revzilla to sell an eight year old helmet and not make it right through CS. Shocking, actually. I have dealt with their CS on several occasions, and it is always top notch.

This being said, you've been VERY defensive with anyone who even hints at disagreeing with you in this thread. Perhaps you took the same tone with the customer service at Revzilla and they didn't take kindly to it?

And why are you pissed at Shoei about this? A loose screw is 100% your responsibility after 3.5 years of ownership of a helmet. No question on this. You were trying to get them to pay for your mistake because you didn't want to pay the big boy price for a visor. I wouldn't have even dreamed of doing this, but whatever. Then they found out it was expired and told you that they can't cover it. Certainly you can't expect them to cover a 12 year old helmet because a store sold it to you outside of warranty? So now you're not going to buy Shoei products any more? Come on man.
    rd400racer and Blissed like this.
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quit being a dick. Seriously. Read ALL my posts.
    If we COULD have gotten a discount on the visor great.
    It just so happens in the process we found out..... EVERYTHING else posted.
  7. pweller

pweller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how the OP thinks this problem should have been addressed.

It's been 3.5 years since the purchase (that's a very long time). How long should Revzilla have an obligation to the OP? If he noticed this same problem 10 years after his purchase, what should their obligation be at that point in time? How about 20 years after his purchase date?
    Blissed and GravelRider like this.
  8. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW there was no tone with anyone. Well, OK now there is.
    Have fun guys.
    Glad the open minded ones got something out of this.
    See ya
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really?

Someone PLEASE lock this thread for comments.
  10. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update!!!!!

Yay The power of social media ( ADV )!!

I'm betting someone important read this.

REVZILLA issued a $300 credit.

So THAT'S how this should have been handled in the first place.
    Revzilla has redeemed themselves.
    AMEN!
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't post their very very lengthy email but they agreed that under no circumstances should a helmet of that age be sold, period.
    No, not even at a discount.
    It's safety equipment people.

The amount of the credit was above and beyond. But they will most likely get it back in the next order.

@RevZilla, thank you for making your customers business important.
    Integrity is everything.
  12. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Manufactured in 2007. 071113 is the European way of writing the date. Revzilla shouldn't have sold a helmet that old.
    AZ Pete and GravelRider like this.
  13. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I did read them all. And I stand by what I posted.
  14. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK....
  15. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. :clap

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification
    Solo Moto likes this.
  16. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not directly related to your warranty problem, but just as an FYI to anyone who doesn't know. The reason they use plastic screws to secure the visor isn't because they are cheap. It's because the visor is a big lever fastened to your helmet. In a crash it has the potential to wrench your head around as you tumble and cause a severe neck injury. You want the visor to break off when you crash; that's why the screws are plastic.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never thought about that. Thank you. Only makes sense they would be breakaway by design
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait, so the manufacture date was 2011, not 2007??
    That means the helmet was still within the warranty period at time of purchase, but outside of it when the OP wanted the warranty honored.
    What am I missing here?
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Revzilla,

It is extremely rare for RevZilla to sell a helmet that was manufactured longer than 2 years from the date of purchase. Most of the time, helmets are only 6 months to 2 years old when we receive them, explaining the 5 years of use or 7 years from the date of manufacture warranty trend.

In most instances, we are at the mercy of our distributor’s inventory given they are responsible for importing and stocking product for US distribution. Distributors receive multiple shipments throughout the year and turn through inventory quickly to avoid having stale product.

Products are closed out at the end of their life cycle but were usually manufactured not long before. Distributors are motivated to sell inventory of a model that is being phased out, in order to make room for the new replacement arriving. At this point, they discount the product to move it in large quantities, allowing the retailer to pass along the savings to their customers.

Unfortunately, helmet manufacturers tend to label the manufacturing date of the helmet between the inner liner and EPS, making it impossible for the distributors or retailers to know how old the helmet is, short of opening every single box and disassembling every helmet. If we had any inkling or indication that this helmet was so old we would not have purchased it for resale.
  20. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    2007!!!!!!