UPDATE!! Shoei / Revzilla Helmet warning

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sonny S., Jun 17, 2019.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Use your brains, guys. 071113 = YYMMDD = 2007-11-13 = November 13th, 2007, which jives with the other sticker which says 11/07.

When dates are used as a data point, the year goes first, followed by month then date, so that they can be sorted numerically and be in order. Otherwise, January 1, 2018 (010118) would sort as before December 31, 2004 (123104)
  2. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. @bluestar already covered this in the post you quoted
  3. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think in the interest of fairness, since you received a full refund, and for your own safety, you should return your long expired helmet to Revzilla. You basically got 3+ years of its use for free.
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    For my own safety???
    Uhm, we won't be wearing it. If they want it back they'll let us know.
    Thanks
  5. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I look at it this way. Something good came out of it with VERY Little cost.
    Revzilla might pay more attention to the helmets they purchase and sell.
    Some consumers here and maybe other places are more educated.
    The expired helmet wasn't revealed as a rusult of an accident or death.

Things happen for a reason.
    It's all good
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Nope, they said 2013, but the helmet was manufactured in 2007.
    GravelRider likes this.
  7. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    From my own experience buying closeout helmets from Revzilla among other I can say for certain this is pretty false, unless the last 3 helmets I bought were all anomalies.

See I DO check the dates, and remember my Bell Star being 3-4 years old when purchased, same with a Schuberth S2 a couple years later and an SR1 a couple years after that. I have to get home from work to confirm, exact spacing but none of those lids were spring chickens.

No way in hell I would let my wife on the bike with a 12 year old lid.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  8. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Point taken and apologies.

I told you so - these forums are infested, manipulated and closely monitored by businesses :-))))))) Good for Revzilla to have gone the right way after the wrong one hit a wall. Anyway, I'm glad it turned out that way for you and your wife.

Wonder what our friends who claimed otherwise in Revzilla's defence think about this. Talk about being more Catholic than the Pope :-))
    DCrider and Sonny S. like this.
  9. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Newly-wed?
  10. Tripped1

Oddometer:

:lol3

Got in one.

Point stands, I wouldn't let ANY passenger on the back with a helmet that old.
    oneodd1 and petertakov like this.
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Replace the entire helmet. It is too old.
  12. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Ok so those helmets

Bell Star Carbon purched December 2014 manufacture date 02/21/2013
    Schuberth S2, purchased December 2015 manufacture date 04/2012
    Schuberth C4 Purchased September 2018 built in March of the same.

So I stand corrected, most of my lids were relatively current, and I need to retire the S2 :lol3
    Sonny S. likes this.
  13. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Revzilla did the right thing after they got backed in a corner. Well, good for them BUT they did need some bad publicity to get there. Shoei on the other hand has been silent. It's hypocritical at the very least to say that you should replace a helmet that is 5 years old but then not take a stand on how retailers are selling shoei helmets. They could at the very least put out a policy statement and tell there customers to check dates on helmets they purchase.
  14. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Oh whoops. When I read it, I saw 2007, given the context of what he was saying.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  15. ThrillSeeka

ThrillSeeka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted with Revzilla.

Helmets are the one thing I won't buy online. Most reputable online stores accept helmet returns and, despite a store's good intentions of examining a returned helmet, I simply do not trust the customer who returned the helmet nor the transporting of the helmet. A good helmet can sustain a fall from 3 feet high unscathed/unscratched. If the helmet is inside its box, it can sustain higher falls without showing a single sign of it having taken a good hit.

The customer who purchased the helmet could have worn it around his house, decided he/she didn't like it and thus not taken care of the helmet from that moment onwards. So what if it falls off the kitchen table while the dude is getting himself a peanut sandwich after decided he doesn't like the helmet? He has 30 days to return it and all he needs to say is he didn't wear it outside.

I treat my helmets like the precious little things (or huge, in my big-head case) that they are. I walk into the actual shop and then ask them to bring me a fresh-off-the-factory helmet specifically for me. I also insist that the helmet be kept aside in their storage room away from people walking by (so they don't hit it or helmet falls on the ground). Yes, you may come across as neurotic but if you word things right and you show them the money, they will happily accommodate any extra requests. The shop where I usually buy my helmets from already knows me and we're always chatting gear stuff anytime I pass by. Of course, I pay for the helmet in advance.

I've seen a dude with his hipster beard and long hair covered in visible grooming oil trying on a full face helmet in a store. Curious me, when he finished trying the helmet on and slamming it back on the stand, I went and checked the inside of the helmet. Indeed, it was covered in that oil crap. Not just unhygienic but imagine the amount of chemicals the inside of a helmet is exposed to in just a year from XX people trying the helmet. I'm very familiar with the ingredients in grooming products and I just don't trust what people put in their hair and face to not affect the helmet's protection. Gels, sprays and aftershaves are specially bad.

Basically, avoid any possible detouring between the helmet leaving the factory and you having your paid-for helmet in your hands. I won't take any chances, but I'm the sort of dude who will check the SHARP UK database (and more) before buying a new helmet.

On another side note: not happy Shoei discontinued their Qwest helmet. Best value helmet ever made (5 stars in SHARP UK & Snell certified to latest certification).
    elcabong likes this.
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @old scoot - Part of me agrees with you, but the other part of me sees this as an issue between Shoei and their resellers - I'd argue this isn't even between Shoei and RevZellia, but rather the distributor that let the helmet out the door in the first place.
  17. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, regarding whether or not a helmet of a certain age should be "allowed" to be sold by a distributor or retailer.

Shoei's statement about helmet replacement after a certain amount of time is only their recommendation. Nowhere can I find that they say the helmet will not do its job after 5 years or 7 years from manufacture.

Those dates only pertain to their factory warranty, covering defects in materials or construction. That warranty doesn't say anything about whether or not the helmet is safe after that time period.

You can't necessarily say they are selling you an unsafe helmet because it sat in a warehouse for 7 years. You don't know that, it would have to be tested. All it says is the warranty offered by the manufacturer on materials and construction is expired.

Incidentally, Shoei offers a free inspection service on any Shoei helmet. I did not see an age requirement or limit on that service. So, you could send your 12 year old helmet to Shoei for inspection (I guess, haven't tried that). Likely, they will recommend replacing it just due to their age recommendations, but they might still inspect it, and it would be interesting to see what they say. They pay return shipping, too.
    DCrider likes this.
  18. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    It would be hypocritical if Shoei were saying to replace helmets 5 years from date of manufacture, but they do not say that. They say replace 5 years after retail purchase (ie, it’s wearing the helmet that degrades it, not sitting in the box on a warehouse shelf).

The question of the warranty is totally separate to me. If you buy something new, and it comes with a warranty, then the retailer should have to disclose if the warranty is already expired.
    But there is a lot of pearl clutching hyperbole in this thread that a helmet never worn but more than 5 years old is unsafe. That is not true, or at the very least does not match the manufacturers recommendations which is what everyone claims to be citing.
    GravelRider likes this.
  19. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    Goes to show...it's not what happens, it's what we do about what happens.

Nice job for coming through big on this one Revzilla!
  20. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    The 'when should I replace my helmet' discussions are like a 'best oil for my bike' discussion. There are few hard facts, mostly just opinions. It doesn't matter which side of the debate you're on, you're not necessarily wrong. There are obvious ones that we can all agree on, like a brand new helmet just manufactured never tried on is good to go. A 15 year old recently crashed in helmet needs replacing. We can all agree to those; it's the in-betweens that we disagree on. I tend to think that these helmet age 'rules' are way overly conservative... But you're talking about a piece of gear that protects your brain, so conservative might not be a bad thing. Personally, I wear my helmets out and replace them before five years on my own just because they're ready to be replaced, so it's a moot point to me.
    canoeguy likes this.