Upgrading the upper rubber chain roller?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Whodatschrome, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever swapped out their upper rubber (or maybe it’s just a soft plastic) chain roller for a slider style instead? TM Designworks makes an upper chain “pad” that fits just about every standard sized KTM enduro bike from about 2000 to 2015. https://www.tmdesignworks.com/p-463-upper-frame-pad-pn-ktm-ufp-1.aspx
    I also have used it successfully on my 525 and my ‘07 650A. I loosely mounted it on my 950A, and it seems like it could easily belong there. I removed my rear shock so that I could cycle the suspension to see if the TMD slider will cause any ill effects, but I didn’t see any issues that it would cause.

Any benefits for going away from the stock roller to a slider? One bonus is that the slider comes in orange.

*my sprockets are a 16:45. And I have 265mm suspension. This may or may not change things.

873005A8-1CC9-4E58-AD61-9A3898FF8756.jpeg BD406903-C178-41F4-9465-7908873A9D2B.jpeg
    Spyrious likes this.
  2. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    It may wear faster because it doesn't roll? It may control chain slap better because of larger surface/contact area? I have to go look at my roller now...
  3. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the stock roller has about 30k miles on it, and I don’t see any wear at all. So that’s that. I’m more curious about the TM slider controlling the chain slap. The chain isn’t going to contact to it until the shock is fairly far up in the stroke. I don’t thing I’m to concerned about the TMD slider wearing faster. All of his products are pretty indestructible.

I’m just wondering if the TMD slider is a benefit to our big 950 bikes...supposedly they are for the standard sized ktm dirtbikes. And yeah, i’m sure that the slider isn’t needed whatsoever, but how often nowadays do we ever see something new for our old 9x0 bikes?
  4. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still using the roller on mine for what little that's worth. I can see where the chain has brushed against it some, but doesn't seem like it does much. The original roller came loose and fell off and I ran without one unknowingly for a bit. Didn't seem to hurt anything, but it did bend that steel case protector a bit so obviously the chain can actually swing up there. It can't hurt, but I'm not sure it's something you'd notice.
    Whodatschrome likes this.