Upload a Google Earth File not possible

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Hill Climber, Sep 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

1. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recently, I tried to upload a Google Earth file for the benefit of a group of riders doing a ride in Baja and an inmate was having trouble opening a .gpx file as he didn't have the software to look at it. Since I have the ability to convert the .gpx track to a GE file, I did and attempted to upload it to the thread. The upload window allows an upload of a GPS Track, but when I tried to upload a .kmz file, then a .kml file I was greeted with "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension".

I believe there are more users of Google Earth software on this website than others that have paid for software, such as Mapsource, Basecamp etc. Allowing the ability of uploading both kmz and kml files would greatly benefit and enhance this websites users experience.

I'm hoping the moderators will consider changing the restriction imposed so that a greater number of inmates can benefit.
  2. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you can always use your "google drive" as a host service of your kmz/kml file and paste the link in ADV.
    click on the link will redirect to your "shared file" on google drive where anyone can download the kmz/kml file.
    just like photo sharing,
    ADV headquarters are busy changing the forum,don't expect anything at this time.
    cheers!
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

He can open the file with Google my maps
  4. Hill Climber

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. There certainly are work-arounds (google drive), but it would be a lot simpler if GE files could be uploaded.
    Google my maps will work if a track stuck to main highways, but in this case it is not. The mostly off-road track has to be able to be traced over actual and physical ground with elevation for clarity. I believe the only way to absolutely validate the track is with google earth.
    If ADV are busy changing the forum then I'd think that now is the time to incorporate this change.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another workaround is to rename the .kmz as a .gpx with a note that once downloaded it has to be renamed .kmz
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that's the easy and fast solution.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Google Earth opens .gpx files.
    .gpx is not just paid software but THE universal format for all GPS and phone software package.
    Most everyone expects a .gpx.
  8. Hill Climber

Oddometer:
    Wow, I've learned something tonight!!!
    Thanks to both of you.... 250senuf and eakins!!!
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

Try it in Google my maps. You may be surprised.
  10. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    believe me....that's the last thing of the things that are not even in the back of their head....
    you will be amazed from what is coming....
    he is right!GE can open GPX files and from there you can simply export to a KML/KMZ if want to.
  11. Hill Climber

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone who's chipped in. I've learned a lot and will try options suggested.
    Cheers!
    ohgood likes this.