Upper Michigan ADV Riders

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Yooper_Bob, Feb 25, 2008.

1. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
    Now it's all about bongs, pony tails, polyester shirts and bell bottoms. PEACE MAN!
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend said it's more like 65 and retired type van.
    1TRAK likes this.
  3. Chuck-D

Chuck-D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bob, I'm very new to dirt riding and would definitely be interested in something like this, let me know if something gets planned.
    moe.ron likes this.
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Will do.

We just need it to warm up a bit!
    Chuck-D and moe.ron like this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's not on a race weekend I could get in on this.
  6. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    From my ride today...

IMG_20190428_134645829.jpg

Attached Files:

spudboy52, memopad, 1TRAK and 8 others like this.
  7. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Things are starting to open up around Marquette! I rode trails from town up to Sands last weekend, and aside from a handful of snow drifts and some fairly long sections of mud covered ice, it was mostly smooth mud sailing.
    WIsixfitty, 1TRAK and Junglejeff1 like this.
  8. txtinman

txtinman n00b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob,
    I'm coming to the UP in late June for a little over a month. I would like to ride some light trails up there. I ride a R1200GS here in Texas. I'm used to riding gravel and dirt roads and the occasional water crossing, but have almost no experience riding in the sand. I do have experience falling over in it. :-) I'll be staying near Gwinn on Sporley Lake. Keep me in mind if you know some areas I can explore on my own, or if you put together a ride sometime.

Mike
  9. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Mike....I live just 20 minutes north of Sporley Lake. Definitely hit me up when you are in the area, and we can go for a ride or two. I can show you all the sand you can handle, if you like!

Seriously, a ton of great dirt riding in the area. I would be glad to show you around a bit.

You will definitely want an aggressive type tire for anything other than gravel....at least on the front.
    1TRAK likes this.
  10. txtinman

txtinman n00b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Bob. Most of my riding is pavement, so my tires aren't knarley. I may have to explore the paved roads of the UP. I'll contact you once I get there.

Mike
  11. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want some more experience riding sand, Gwinn is the right place for that :D
  12. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Mike, If you are a GPS user there are some mostly paved (or milder) GPS guided rides here. They take you to some points of interest in the UP which can add to your visit. Some have ride reports that can give you a better picture of what is involved. I also help out some riders (for free) with some custom GPS guided rides that are more tailored to their interest. You may want to look at the Western UP and the Eastern UP rides for some ideas as they would work very well with your bike and riding preferences. I've hosted a lot of rides out of Gwinn over the years and it is a great area to operate from.

I should add that if you are not a GPS user, it would be pretty easy to convert some of these routes and destinations to a paper map of the UP by looking at the maps in the ride reports.

The Moon UP Travel Guide is good for some details about some points of interest as well.
    1TRAK likes this.
  13. txtinman

txtinman n00b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the info. I'll check out those rides. I've ridden a few roads in the eastern part of the UP. Maybe I'll visit more of the western side.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  14. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

DaveJ_U.P.Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    Ride to Big Bay yesterday. 20190511_142912.jpg 20190511_135407-1.jpg 20190511_144319.jpg
    spudboy52, MotoChron, 1TRAK and 2 others like this.
  16. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Yep!

Today, the wife and I rode with another couple down to the tip of the Stonington Peninsula, and then over to the Nahma Inn for dinner.

We then wove our way home through the Hiawatha National forest. Nice way to spend mother's day!
    1TRAK, Bultaco206 and Junglejeff1 like this.
  17. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    2 Up? Or do the wives have bikes?? I did a run to Garden with my wife last year . We were on my FLHTC for that ride.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20190504_142122.jpg 20190504_163214.jpg Screenshot_2019-05-04-23-36-38.png Took my wife for a ride on my big fat africa twin. Went on some beat up back roads that were posted closed.Went to see a water fall that would be cool in the flood conditions we are in((my yard is a 1/3 gone).My wifey brought up this town in the middle of nowhere named leapers after the falls that sounded fun so off we went..gps found it but all we found was a old logging landing. Fun ass ride with baby heads,flood crossings ect if your looking for some fun with semi offroad bike a good adventure. I could do it on on a bike with street slicks but be careful.
    1TRAK likes this.
  19. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    We rode two up.

My buddy picked up a left over 2018 Africa Twin DCT. We spent Saturday in the garage bolting on all sorts of new farkles, and then spent all Sunday riding. It was a fantastic day! Finally felt like spring.
    DaveJ_U.P.Rider and Junglejeff1 like this.
  20. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Yooper kid on her new ride!

IMG_20190516_190023918.jpg

A little XT250 I picked up from @memopad.

After new tires, front/rear brakes, front/rear bearings, new chain and sprockets, a set of handguards, and a REALLY thorough cleaning, it was ready to roll!
    spudboy52, dsmonstar, Askel and 7 others like this.