Upper Michigan ADV Riders

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Yooper_Bob, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Head out to the sands and explore.Everything from great trails to AA enduro riding.
    UP Matt likes this.
  2. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

DaveJ_U.P.Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always liked the Big Spring have taken my kids there, have not been there in years... I guess time to take the Grand kids now. :-)
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  3. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which sands?
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "sands plains" area which refers to the myriad of of trails and forest roads which cover the area between the crossroads and Gwinn. Mostly on the west side of 553. The area stretches west to Palmer.

You can access it from just about any of the roads that run west off of 553, or south off of 480. You can also use the snowmobile trail that connects to the Crossroads parking lot.

Lots of sand (duh!), and lots of traffic out there.
    UP Matt likes this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like bob said,the more open area,s can be busy.There is a staging area out there that leads to tons of single track.Some is dual sport friendly and it has area,s past hard enduro.Some of the best riding in the country.Both stickers are needed to ride there.Last weekend the sand stormers had a family and kids enduro out there.
    UP Matt likes this.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also,Do not publish any gps maps of it.It is not state trail and part of a land use agreement.If you go on the single track best to have a gps as you can really get lost out there.Ounce you get off the roads the ground is way firmer and there is alot of trails with perfect loamy conditions and heavy rock climbing area,s that are a blast on a trials bike.
    UP Matt likes this.
  7. UP Matt

UP Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode there a couple of times actually. I did not know it was a popular place with an actual name. I just stumbled upon it because I was living on 480. I came across some trails well above my experience level.
    I am back living in Houghton now. It would be fun to go back and ride there as well as do Bass lake, but my plan is to go on a 2-week ride starting around August 14th.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  8. dckiteboards

dckiteboards Braaper

Oddometer:
    Ill be in Copper harbor this sun-wed with a 525 exc. would be fun to meet up with a few guys.
  9. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    Working this whole week, have a fun and safe trip. Dave
  10. johnoly99

johnoly99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FA50EA0B-CEE5-4541-8BB0-1843A41327F3.jpeg Headed up to the UP August 5th - 9th for a week of exploring. Have the UPAT big bike route on my map, might go to Canada, never been up there before, but miss the PNW and living in Indiana it’s too flat and boring! Seeing all the pics of the UP looks like I’ll enjoy it. Camping off the bike, nobreal oln. If anyone’s out that week on a big bike, say hi, maybe I’ll see some of you out there.
    DaveJ_U.P.Rider and Cannonshot like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Swing by the Central ADV Rally in Boulder Junction (WI) and say hello.
  12. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of us will be at the Central Rally, just across the border in Boulder Junction, WI.
  13. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    205'd!
  14. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    The Central Rally looks like a great time. I have no time this weekend and a wedding next weekend. :-( Maybe next year.
  15. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    May put off some chores until Sunday and take a ride over to Boulder Junction, WI tomorrow. Just a day trip there and back. Will be leaving around 8:30 - 9:00 am from Marquette if anyone is interested in riding.
  16. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're heading there tomorrow.... but with the truck and trailer loaded like the Beverly hillbillies!

Bring a tent, and you can easily find a spot to crash for the night.

We plan on arriving around 1:00 pm local time.
  17. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    We'll see you over there, got a lot to get done Sunday so I most likely will not camp and stay. Safe travels
    Yooper_Bob likes this.
  18. johnoly99

johnoly99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good thing all you local hooligans are at the rally cause I have all this beautiful UP to myself this week . Thanks again @Cannonshot for the gpx tracks! Only done about 25% of my route on them. Hoping for more tomorrow. The rain should keep the dust down and make the damn sand more manageable LOLOL

FCFC239C-B6BD-43C0-9F18-A31C4D4390FB.jpeg
  19. Munmi4

Munmi4 Munmi

Oddometer:
    If you make it around the Munising area, message me. I truly enjoy catching up with motorcycle riders of all types and swapping lies and telling stories of adventure near and far.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been pretty dead here,you all quit riding lol.Have over 7 k on adv in u.p thi 20190830_222502.jpg s year and hitting all the trials events.Out in garage getting my old girl ready for its 1st vintage trials event.