Upper Michigan ADV Riders

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Yooper_Bob, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on what your going to do with it.I sure as heck wouldn't want to have to go far on pavement as at 60 it,s starting to sing.My use is pretty singletrack dominated so I will actually be going up 2 teeth in the rear and switching to tubless.Is the pipeline very challenging?.
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  2. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:

I hear ya on the road worthyness. Def a short range dual sporter. Anyone make a big-er tank yet?

The pipeline (Thunder Mountain) is mainly 2 track with some challenging rocky climbs. Plus there are a lot of smaller sections with large rock formations. One could easily spend a day or three there playing about. But to be legal you need a plate. ATV's and SxS's are not allowed as they are not plated. It's also a big 4x4 playground. fwiw I (boondock) camp right on the pipeline. A minute from the big rocky climb. NF Rd55552. It runs north/south.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3312648,-88.310305,699m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0

[​IMG]
    Junglejeff1 and Bultaco206 like this.
  3. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pasty pronunciation: Easy to remember it rhymes with nasty, not tasty. :hide

I heard there was a fatal motorcycle accident on the bridge that backed things up really bad-- Bad enough that a couple people got their guns out in 2 different road rage incidents.
  4. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When was that?
  5. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, some real tools there.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The crazies sure are coming out now.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20210616-173337.png
    Think I will skip that one.You might want to check out the Norway atv trails and truck trails.I took the Africa twin through the atv trail but it was a lot of work 2 up.On your 650 it would be a blast.
  9. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Head on with an f150, second hand info from the paint crew is that two bikes slowed down and the trike had no where to go but across the divider, he was 78 years old from charlevoix

5187BED0-4296-40E4-A95D-F057B4763A1D.jpeg
    budsboy likes this.
  10. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty quiet 4th weekend in the south-central U.P. I’ve seen zero bikes out and about. Not even any tire tracks. Even the Moss Lake parking lot was empty when I rode through. :scratch

2A618B2E-1812-4027-B01D-3C8B45CDA427.jpeg

ADEC4205-108C-44AD-800E-C83338B9ABF0.jpeg

F4A3E2F1-FA40-4BB6-96FC-EC5E16659C77.jpeg

80F20A14-6C60-47EC-97FA-EDA1B6D64591.jpeg

ABB40DCE-C13E-4825-AE09-FA9569DC4464.jpeg
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moss lake is not heavily used because people don't like how technical it is.We have a lot of fun out there and honestly I like that most don't like riding there.When I bring mx type guys there they really hate it and don't stay long.It takes some good tech riding to get through there at speed.I met some mx guys out there on 450,s last week and they lasted about 1/2 hour and packed up.Tree,s hurt without bark busters.
    bark sampler, Bultaco206 and svtride like this.
  13. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t think it’s THAT bad. No, my 450 isn’t the best tool for there, but I’ve ridden it, and didn’t die. Sure, I’d rather have my 250X, but that’s not a great travel bike for the U.P. so it stays home.

This was taken in 2019.
    [​IMG]
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried it on the Africa Twin and it did not go well lol.The issue with the mx guys is they are not used to dodging tree,s.I used a yz450 in there and it went through pretty decent but definitely overkill.I went through moss on my wife's ttr125 and it was a hoot.My trials bike straightens that trail out quick but 24 miles of standing is murder on the legs.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  15. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    When I create tracks that hit Moss Lake I use the friendlier sections and then run folks onto some two tracks before sending them further on in the ride. That place is much better to ride now than it was when it first opened up. What a great resource. We sure owe a lot to the folks that developed that project.
    Junglejeff1 and Bultaco206 like this.
  16. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    It's too hot to ride.... spending my holiday weekend out on the water!
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend and me are going to hit the Moss single track tomorrow morning and do a couple loops.We are working on getting used to the heat which is working well.It is a nice place to practice which is close by.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You guys are lucky to have an OHM tail conveniently nearby. :thumb
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's better is Norway will be closer for us.They totally screwed up the atv trail there so it really sucks now.It is mainly a sxs wheelchair trail now.We road it last week and a lot of it is just gravel road riding.I am going to see what I can do when I help to make sure a atv riders will shed tears and turn around if they try to go into the new trail.It seams to work well as the atv,s are to wide to even start on the mc trails at Moss.The trail over in cedar river was easy but fun a couple years ago then the atv,s started illigally riding it then they beat it down and the sxs,s started riding it and now even trucks try to ride it.The bridges going through the swampy area,s are destroyed by these idiots at the north end plus plenty of beer cans.I quit riding there mainly because half the people riding there are lit up plus I had a guy hit me head on that was lit up.I met the man that laid out Moss lake and he did a good job having a lot of tree,s about 30" apart to keep the atv,s out.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I was chatting with the DNR trail guy about the new OHM trail being developed near Norway. It sounds like it is going to be a pretty cool ride. Some interesting features.