Upper Michigan ADV Riders

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Yooper_Bob, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Congrats to all!
    Yooper_Bob likes this.
  2. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    We had 20 straight days of sunshine... guess we can't complain too much!
  3. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got home from the UP and I see this now?? :muutt

I still enjoyed my days on my own, but it would've been fun to meet some others. I did see a few small groups on the road passing the other way. I stuck to roads on the UPAT big bike route and a similar graded backroads. Between my tires, skill level, and lack of phone service, (plus advancing age) it didn't seem prudent to venture into tougher stuff solo. Sure was pretty up there....

DSC_6639 (2).jpg
    Tuna209 and Bultaco206 like this.
  4. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Made it home safely yesterday.

IMG_20210820_172901303.jpg

6,721 miles. A great trip!
    Mr. Phil, Chuck-D, andrewgore and 6 others like this.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Glad you had a wonderful trip! That ride is still one of my favorites. So scenic!
  6. cabbage681

cabbage681 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow Yoopers. New to the site and new to street legal bikes. Been on dirt bikes for many years and recently purchased a 98 klr 650. Looking forward to maybe meeting some of you guys someday.
    Assfault, Cannonshot and Bultaco206 like this.
  7. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Where are you at in the UP?
  8. cabbage681

cabbage681 n00b

Oddometer:
    I live in Houghton. On dirt bikes I ride a lot of single tracks. Sands trail in MQT, baraga plains, and we built a 1mile loop on some property in tapiola.
    Yooper_Bob likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Have you met @Askel ?
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  10. cabbage681

cabbage681 n00b

Oddometer:
    No I have not. I have family that live on askel hill so right away that name caught my eye.
  11. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Huh, we might've met at some point or at least know some folks in common. I used to live at the bottom of it on Naasko Rd.

Anyway- welcome! I'd offer to go for a ride but I currently seem to be without any kind of bike I don't pedal myself. :lol3
    Critic, Bultaco206 and cabbage681 like this.
  12. cabbage681

cabbage681 n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m sure we have crossed paths at some point. Haha
    Askel likes this.
  13. dbc105

dbc105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Yooper_Bob, DC here, good to see you all made it home ok. It was good meeting you all where the TAT crosses the CD just west of Marshall Pass. We made it to Monticello, Ut and then back home ok and had a good trip also. For the first time on a TAT section we didn't see any rain, no flats and no break downs, just amazing. We did think about you guys as we were going over California, Hurricane and Corkscrew passes. Those are not near as friendly as Marshall. If any of you get down to where the TAT crosses Hwy 43 in Tenn send me a PM a little in advance and I'll get Steve & Brent we'll all meet up for a beer and war stories.

DC
    Yooper_Bob likes this.
  14. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Great meeting you guys as well.

We had only 2 days of rain out of 20+ days of riding.

It started just as we hit the Canadian border, and continued for the first portion of our trip home.

We relegated all of our flats to a single rider.... @DaveJ_U.P.Rider

He has tubeless tires and volunteered to pick up all of the nails in the trail for the rest of us. He had 3 flats, and the rest of the team zero!
    Assfault likes this.
  15. spudtool

spudtool aka thingfisch

Oddometer:
    I met Askell on CT IV in '09 (HOWDY)....I just reread that thread. Prob haven't since '09. Great memories. Askel said he could tell if he made the right fork in the trail if he could smell my 300 2stroke. I was (am) Spudtool. I stepped out of GLDS DS tracks in '19 and in Sept 20' I bough a '05 DR650 that I have now farkled to taste and want to ride ADV/BDR. I have been doing 4-6 hr day rides out of Frankfort, MI on GLDS ADV tracks. Last monday rode to bridge and back on GLDS ADV tracks 360 mile 38 mov average (I can't handle MCCCT no more). Helps no wind and BEAUtiful day. After the 12th I am going to look at weather and ride solo Bryan's UPAT big bike tracks sometime. Throwing this out if anyone is interested and is flexible with time. Not camping and will be spending daylight on the bike. I have no desire for technical trails/looking down a lot (ha-ha).
    Askel, Orthodoc and Cannonshot like this.
  16. Scout_Rider

Scout_Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled upon this forum while researching trip ideas for scenic roads and sights in Michigan. I'll be departing from eastern PA on 10/1 for a week road trip to UP and northern Wisconson. It will be my 1st time in this area. I'll apprecaite any advice on roads suitable for a fully loaded BMW GSA , campgrounds, resturants, sights, etc. Current plan is to travel north following the shoreline of Lake Michigan.

I'll also appreciate suggestions of roads or places to avoid.
  17. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    search here for Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT). fun ride the big bike version well suited to a GSA. Porcupine Mountains, Lake of the Clouds, Copper Peak Ski Jump, Keweenaw Peninsula, Copper Harbor, Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured rocks (sorry for the font screw up..dunno what happened), Grand Marias, H58 Whitefish Point...tons of cool places to see in the UP!
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Avoid sand paths - there are many. Lots of details about roads and surfaces in the reports listed below. Also info about campgrounds and some restaurants. They were written with the intent of helping the next rider with a trip of their own.

There is a big bike version of the UPAT:
    CannonTracks - Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

These two reports deal with the eastern and western UP and are more suitable for your big bike:
    A CannonTour of the Eastern Upper Peninsula | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
    Big Bike Solo in the Western UP | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

If you travel through the lower peninsula, here is some information about that:
    A CannonRide Around Lake Huron | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
    Ships, Trains, Bridges, and Ferries CannonTour - Around Lake Michigan | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)

There is probably a lot more information in these reports/GPS files than you might need, but you may find some things that interest you that you can draw from in planning your trip. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

More tracks that deal with northern Wisconsin: GPS Files Archives - Cannonshot.net
    PlowHand, Tuna209 and Bighammer49686 like this.
  19. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is some pretty good riding before you cross the bridge. M-22 is a popular route near me and M-199 (Tunnel of Tress) is also nice.
    Clambucket likes this.
  20. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Just about peak colors!

IMG_20211002_153928211.jpg

Beautiful day out scouting some new tracks.
    Cannonshot, 1TRAK, WIsixfitty and 2 others like this.