Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. tcheek2

tcheek2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Will do. Thanks. Do you have the gpx file for the trail from Munising to Manistique?
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    FYI.... Verizon phone should work fine.
    BLucare and Bultaco206 like this.
  4. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    ^^ Agreed on Verizon. Been all over the U.P. with it :thumb
  5. Munmi4

Munmi4 Munmi

Oddometer:
    You could also get a map from Hiawatha National Forest and just go. Lots of two-track and gravel roads throughout the forest...which is huge. I live in Munising and carry the map most of the time riding here.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  7. DryFire

DryFire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I finished the loop yesterday. What an awesome ride . We rode primarily the big bike route but still found both closures and detours in the keewenaw. The detours were well signed as were the closed trails and roads. This was my second time around the UPAT, each time it is a little different.

Thanks to Cannonshot for an awesome route.
    BLucare and Cannonshot like this.
  8. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Milwaukee)
    Zaboo and I finished riding the western portion yesterday and got home today. We had a great time on smaller bikes (did the eastern side and part of the west on big bikes five years ago). Copper Harbor was once again the highlight of the trip for me. Some really fun trails and beautiful scenery all along the route though.

We experienced what was described earlier as far as flood damage... mostly limited to Hancock/Houghton to Lake Linden. A few other sections were avoided due to “active logging” signage, and some questionable “no motorcycle” signs. All in all, the route was in good shape and easy to follow.

Thanks once again Cannon for the excellent work you have done, and continue to do, on behalf of dual sport riding!!

If anyone is considering whether or not to do this route... do it! You won’t regret it :ricky
  9. quillbro

quillbro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Askel and Cannonshot like this.
  10. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Ran part of the UPAT section 4 from around Muskallonge Lake to Munising Saturday. Biting off parts of the ride one weekend at a time. This was by far my favorite section, especially Kingston Plains track. Great fun on the 450. Being alone I took it easy. One nasty washout section, and my gopro failed to record it. But did get this single shot.
    [​IMG]
    Tons of ORVs out. Ran across a convoy of about 30 of them on part of the track. Beautiful weekend to be in the UP.
  11. Munmi4

Munmi4 Munmi

Oddometer:
    There was an ATV poker run from Bear Trap in Van Meer to Grand Marais. There were over 100 units total.
    BTW are you still up here?
  12. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    No I am home. Might go back in a couple weeks. Poker run on trails, that seems like a horrible idea to me. Most trails are one way, but they get to clog the crap out of them. Oh well.
  13. Beardoge

Beardoge Been here awhile

Oddometer:

One Way ???!
  14. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what I meant to say there. The trails are not one way. Maybe I meant both directions, but when there are 30 odd side by sides your gonna be waiting awhile for them to pass by.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  15. Jopper

Jopper n00b

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, I have some questions about some of the trails in the keewanaw area, but i cant figure out how to private message you?
  16. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Click on your Inbox at upper right, start a new conversation with him.
  17. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't repeat too many times that this U.P. adventure trail is one of the best adventures I've ever gone on. Thanks again Mr. Cannonshot for all your work on this.
  18. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Well I made it out to High Rock Bay, finally. I had been wanting to do this part of the UPAT for a long time. The stars aligned and this weekend I made it happen.
    [​IMG]
    And shortly thereafter......
    [​IMG]
    My first flat on an actual ride, miles from help. I wasn't actually worried, I had the tools and a spare tube, though it was a 21" that I made work in the rear tire. But it was still a bit disconcerting. Knowing that something like this can happen, is much different than having it happen to you. It took much longer to replace the tube there, than it does at home in the garage. The lack of a center stand didn't help, but luckily there are plenty of rocks around to support the bike. :D

There were plenty of people coming and going to the point, so I knew if it came down to it I could get a ride into Copper Harbor. It wasn't a life or death situation. But what amazed me is how few people even asked if I needed help.

So what did I learn? Make sure you are running proper tire pressure for rocks. I wasn't, lesson learned. Make sure you carry what you need to fix the problems should they arise. It may seem that in Michigan you are not that far from help, but there are parts of this ride where no one ventures very often. Be self sufficient. The hardest part of changing the tube was getting the valve stem through the wheel. My fat sausage fingers weren't cooperating, and I thought that was going to be my undoing. I have since ordered a stem puller thingy to add to the kit and help with that part next time.

I broke Cannonshots rule, and traveled solo. Not much I can do about that - schedules don't always align and life is too short to sit home and watch tv.

Because of the tube issue I beat feet back to Baraga where my van was parked, so I need to get back and finish the UPAT in the Keewanaw. But next time I'll be on my 450 which has Tubliss front and back. :D

One other thing, someone asked me how I learned so much about the UP. I told them about ADV and how Cannonshot shares so much history in his ride reports. I've learned more here from him, than living in Michigan most of my life.
    1TRAK, penzone, sick_boy and 7 others like this.
  19. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Afternoon Cannonshot!
    I have a couple questions about the UPAT that is probably in here already but I can't seem to find it.
    Is the last week of May or first week of June a good time to run both loops without the black flies?
    Also how many days should a group of 4 running single cylinder dualsport/trailbikes take to run both loops just moteling it without the weight of camping gear.
    Last September 3 of us ran the east loop in 2 and a half days but didn't get to smell the roses much.
    EAST LOOP REMOTE CAMP SPOT
    20180909_120800.jpg
    This time we'd like to take more pics and see more of the natural wonder we're riding through and still call it a day after say 8 or 9 hours of riding.

Thank you Sir for your tracks, time, effort and advice!
    Parcero likes this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I've run it early in the season before and other than being cool and wet it was OK. Blackflies can be a problem in some places. Just prepare for it. You can run the UPAT in four long days if you ride all day. Otherwise six days is a comfortable ride with the tourist stops.
    Cav47, WRW9751 and 1TRAK like this.