Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Murdersuckle

Murdersuckle n00b

Oddometer:
    Erosion has made that bit of road unstable. It’s probably less than a 1/4 mile that is closed. Also, east of L’anse there is quite the water crossing. 24” deep for about 300’. The bottom was solid as of May 25th. Our Wr250r and 2 klrs made it through.
    9Realms and PYG RYDR like this.
  2. dsmonstar

dsmonstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an update from my last post, I will be going up July 7th to 10th and be staying somewhere in the middle for a 4 day UPAT with cannons gps maps. Riding solo but won't turn down company. Probably stay in the woods and remote camp unless my body needs a bed one night, it's possible. Trailering up the night of the 6th or early am 7th. So excited.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Look back a little in the thread. There is a great place to stay and leave your rig just outside MQT. I hope you have a fantastic trip!

https://up-motor-lodge.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

UP Motor Lodge
    Has a place to park rigs and doesn't mind helping out.
    Across from Chocolay Township police station.
    9Realms, PYG RYDR and i4bikes like this.
  4. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Been reading the thread and thinking about a mid July ride of this adventure. Considering camping-but was cautioned that the UP mosquitoes are plenty and big? Could also stay in lodges...Suggestion?
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Insects are manageable and vary depending on where you are at. If you get someplace that turns out to be worse than you like, just move. Also, even in July it can get cool - especially if wet. There are plenty of inexpensive motels along the way as well. Bring DEET, spray your clothes for ticks, and enjoy the ride. :D
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  6. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also bring a head net. Helps a ton to keep them buggers out of your face.

Bathe in DEET!
  7. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!
    45 degs there and raining today
  8. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I'm really considering this for a late summer ride. I have Sept 2-7th off work and hope to ride as much as possible. Planning solo but open to company, I'll be on an F800GS. If anybody finds any significant obstacles that have crept up over the years please post up info here as I'll be watching. I believe there is one water crossing after some big culverts that looks like its gotten quite deep. Anyone know where that might be...?
    dstutz likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I recommend that you use my big bike version (GPX) of this route for the F800GS. You'll be a lot happier and safer if solo. It avoids some deep sand. :D
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  10. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The culverts are on the East end, north of St Ignace. They are on the small bike route. As Cannonshot said (and he's Da Man that created it!) Big bike route is good. I rode bits of the small bike route on my 990 ( two up none the less) because I'm a glutton for punishment. Had fun but..... The sand is nasty bad. Some bits up towards Ontanogon can be muddy even on big bike route, but that's simply luck of the draw of when it rains. Easy to by pass if needed.

It's a real fun ride. You'll enjoy it.
    BuiltnotBought and PYG RYDR like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The culverts that someone else referred to aren't close to any off road water crossings. The culverts are not on the big bike version. I took them off because of clearance issues where a big bike might get hung up which could be a problem for some.

I just looked at the big bike track. There aren't any big issues on it. That said, there was a lot of storm damage on the Keweenaw Peninsula and wet weather can always bring higher water than usual.

If you have a reference to the specific spot that you are concerned about, I can sort it for you. Otherwise, just take it as it comes. If you have to back up and go around something, that is pretty standard for any ride as conditions change (trees down that can't be passed, repairs not yet made, etc).

If you end up solo, best to have a satellite tracker (that works) in case you have to make a notification in an emergency. There are many gaps in cellular service. :D

The big bike route is very entertaining and, as I mentioned, takes out some things that big bike riders could better live without. Don't worry about some of the drama you hear, just take it as it comes and have a good time!
  12. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Late summer/Early Fall and fall is a great time to be in the UP. Bugs are not as big a problem then, and after Labor day the summer crowd thins out a bit.
    PYG RYDR and KTM Mike like this.
  13. Murdersuckle

Murdersuckle n00b

Oddometer:
    Rode the east half on ds bikes with some buds last week. I posted about a water crossing from the trail. Update: the ride was a water crossing bonanza. It was an extra snowy winter. We made it through every crossing we tried and only backed down once. The deeper ones were just over the front (21) wheel. I don’t think the water would be a problem on a big adventure bike. The sand would but the go-arounds cover that. We did learn what can happen when riding in sand that is under running water LOL. Was a new kind of stuck for us. Weirdly, we only had one buggy campsite. Bugs on the trail were bad. Good incentive to keep riding I guess. There was a muddy bit north of Gladstone. I would want a buddy or two around if I were trying to get a goldwing through it. I’m sure the trails will dry up soon if it stays as warm as it has been. I can’t wait to try the west side.

Thanks Cannonshot!
    PYG RYDR and XYooper906 like this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking many of the larger water holes were on the Highwater Truck Trail?

The big bike version goes around the Highwater Truck Trail (which can be pretty sandy and wet).
  15. Murdersuckle

Murdersuckle n00b

Oddometer:
    That is where we got stuck and was the wettest stretch for sure. Beautiful back there too. There were large crossings every day of our trip. We mostly rode the small bike route.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, even with some improvements over the years, that truck trail is still pretty wet. It looks like things are going to remain wet for a while, at least into July, according to the general reports.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    BuiltnotBought sent me the 2013 video that showed the water and the culvert he was talking about.

The culverts are waypointed on a segment near Trout Lake. It was clear that it was a period of high water (like this year) back when the video was shot. The two culverts there cross intermittent streams. The first culvert was dry but presents a clearance problem for some bikes. The water he talked about was at the second culvert which is usually dry (or only damp) as well. The water wasn't too deep for a normal crossing, but the small culvert being exposed underwater made for a slippery and hazardous crossing. It would have required dismounting and using the buddy system. Personally, I would have backed off and used one of the logging trails to work back out to a road to go around rather than get boots full of water and wrestle the bikes over the submerged culvert. Maybe that is what some others did.

The blue segments are for the big bike version and they go around the two exposed culverts and some serious sand on this segment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dstutz, GS2Trout and BuiltnotBought like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    As long as I'm addressing some water spots, I might as well do this one too. Usually the water that sometimes covers this path is no more than 6-8" deep. Of course, this being a wet year I can see where it would be a larger and deeper pool for a while. This is a low area but what usually caused the water on the trail were some pesky beavers and their projects. As mentioned, the path itself is very solid so (depending on depth and your preferences) you can navigate this without much trouble. Or just go around.

[​IMG]
    dstutz and ElRayo like this.
  19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, planning a trip around Huron and Superior from 25 July to 5 August. Doing the trip on big adv's f650's/r1200's. Is it possible to make it West from Whitefish Point to Grand Marais by heading out from Whitefish Point on Wildcat Road/West Pond Road/North Maple Block Road/W Mac Road/Crisp Point Road/CR 412/Two Hearted Landing Road/Mouth of Two Heart Road/CR412/CR410/Coast Guard Line Road/Deer Park Truck Trail/Grand Marais Truck Trail? Hoping to avoid having to take 123 West from Paradise. Whitefish Point to Grand Marais on Myroute.png
  20. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What bike and luggage are you taking? It gets very sandy thru there. Pray for rain, haha. The first section from Whitefish pt to Crisp pt is going to be the hardest to navigate. Get the best trail map you can find; it's usually ok to use snowmobile trails in the summer. I've tried it numurous times and I usually make it thru, I think half way back on Vermillion rd is the SW turn down, but a lot is private sanctuary now closed or trails too bad to pass with more than a 250 lb bike. I haven't looked at a map of there in 10 yrs, so good luck.
    05-14-10_1009[1].jpg

East of Crisp point lighthouse.

Capture.PNG
    From the map point east to the largest road, Vermillion point, you can see any of the turn offs. Looks like you need to go south of Jinney Palms NP, turning south at the map point, drop a couple "blocks", and the large sandy spot on the left is Maple Block going north. Never tried Mac Rd, but its possible to see the lake if you continue north on browns lake rd, even if flooded is good bottom.
    PYG RYDR likes this.