Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have a path mapped across there that I have taken groups across. That said, you won't want to try it on big bikes. It has some very soft sand and a water crossing that will be a problem. That is why I didn't include it on the UPAT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow!!! This forum is really proving it's worth. Thank you for the feedback, I am going to use it and keep our big bikes out of that sand. I can't wait to show my wife and brother-in-law where I was going to take them. We will have to come back with our lighter bikes in the future. Thanks again for the great information.
  3. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mention Grand Marais as a point. From Farm Truck road up to Betsy Rd and west, it is all reasonable gravel. Rabbit trail is all sand on the east side of Muskallonge Lake, so skip that with a big bike also.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I have a big bike version of the UPAT that you can draw from that I laid out to avoid some problems like this for big bike riders.

I also have tracks and information for both Lake Huron and Lake Superior that might be helpful to you. Pretty thorough coverage of both loops. I hope you find some helpful material there.

Huron Tracks: https://advrider.com/f/threads/cannontracks-lake-huron-circle.1076333/

Huron Report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-cannonride-around-lake-huron.1070313/

Superior Tracks: https://advrider.com/f/threads/cannontracks-comprehensive-lake-superior-circle-route.806090/

Superior Report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-cannon-ada-ride-around-lake-superior.798771/
    Cav47, PYG RYDR and Bt10 like this.
  5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the info, we are on a mix of r1200's and f650's, so we are going to adjust our route to reflect the 'big bike route' through the area posted by Canonshot. Really appreciate the feedback to make this summer trip the best it can be.
  6. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Verona, WI)
    We did Cannon's big bike UPAT a few years back on two F800GS and a KLR650. Awesome tracks! There is still some sand to play in and water to cross, but it was manageable and fun!
    1TRAK and dstutz like this.
  7. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Can a local maybe chime in with the current status on access to the Raco Air Field? I know much earlier in the thread it was still considered wide open for use, then it looked like it was not quite so much as someone was using it for cold weather testing... I plan on being there in early Sept so I don't think I would be in their way, but if I go for a little rip around the tamarack while I'm there should I be worried and watching for flashing lights in my rear view??
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I could answer that, but I'm not a local. :D
    dstutz likes this.
  9. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Well... technically doesn't have to be a local, just figured that while one might be able to provide an "official" answer, while a local might be better able to provide actual first hand condition info. I guess I'm hoping for a perspective of "rules say ABC, but you can get away with XYZ and no body cares..." But really I guess any info is better than just me rolling in there blind, so feel free and chime in with any info:beer
    dstutz likes this.
  10. dsmonstar

dsmonstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently riding the UPAT with the help of Cannonshot and his maps. What an amazing place it is up here. 20190708_111557_HDR.jpg 20190708_130530_HDR.jpg 20190708_154952.jpg 20190708_165306_HDR.jpg 20190708_182928.jpg 20190708_213917_HDR.jpg 20190709_104710_HDR.jpg 20190709_134854_HDR.jpg 20190709_134922_HDR.jpg 20190709_113340_HDR.jpg
  11. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice pics Sir, a Hoosier friend and I look forward to seeing the same in a couple weeks!
    Woods, views, pasties ... mmm.
    dsmonstar and Old 179 like this.
  12. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Getting me excited for my own trip in a couple of months. Did you do the big bike route or the primary route?
    dsmonstar likes this.
  13. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    I used the BB map as a primary but also wondered off a few times. There is just TOO much to see and ride for 4 days. I'm planning another trip up after I finish my other bike build, the xl is not fun on the hwy or long distance.....that being said my 36yr old tractor did amazing for over 500+miles. I hurt my knee the last day and with the threat of bad weather coming in I rode back to my truck. The last few spots I wanted to visit had to be by truck unfortunately, but it was high 80s so cruising in the ac didn't make me too sad. Like I said, I'll go back up for the east side and more in the Fall.
    Some more pics from the last day. 20190710_134209_HDR.jpg 20190710_132023_HDR.jpg 20190710_112217.jpg 20190710_111852_HDR.jpg 20190709_104710_HDR.jpg 20190710_150258_HDR.jpg
    1TRAK, dstutz, PYG RYDR and 1 other person like this.
  14. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    That sounds like what I am planning, BB as primary but there are some of the "small bike" sections I want to try my hand at. I have 5 days, with a day to ride up and a day to ride back, so a total of 7 days riding.
  15. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    Also forgot to mention, some the roads from Thomas Rock to L'anse kicked my butt...My go pro wasn't charged enough, and I saw a big ass bear off one of the logging paths.....I didn't stop for many pictures!!! I did how ever use a portable charger later on to get some go pro video of me charging up the path to Mt. Arvon. That was epic.
    1TRAK and Bultaco206 like this.
  16. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    What are you riding? How are you in sand? I was having some issues on some deeper Sandy bits because it was so damn dry and acted like silt.
  17. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    F800GS, but I treat it more like a DR650 than say an R1200GS if that gives you an idea.:rofl As for how am I in sand... not real comfortable yet but I have a feeling that will be changing shortly :D
    dstutz likes this.
  18. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    Sweet. You will have fun for sure, I just had to air down for the sand and go a bit faster than i wanted to in order to feel like I had better control. The trail/road to Mt Arvon is super fun, rocky and all up hill towards the end. I'll get thr video up soon.
    1TRAK and BuiltnotBought like this.
  19. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    MMM, pasties + carbs ... UP staples lol.
  20. Glenn247

Glenn247 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother and I plan to ride through the UP starting near the bridge and head towards Green Bay.

I noticed the UPAT doesn't run down that way. Does anyone have a good dual sport gpx route down towards Green Bay? We'll be on a KTM 690 and CRF250 so we can handle Forest roads and two track.

Whatever you can provide would be greatly appreciated!