Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are about to take off to hit the southern route of the UPAT on a CRF250L Rally and a 690 Enduro. Is anyone else riding or living in the area?
  2. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How soon is about to take off?
  3. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    We are leaving the northern Lower Peninsula (north of Traverse City) Thursday afternoon.

We plan to be cruising the southern route of the UPAT by Thursday evening as long as we can before the sun sets on us.

We will be riding into Wisconsin and my brother will take the ferry from Manitowoc and I will be cruising out towards Ft. McCoy, Wisconsin on Sunday...

That's the plan as of now
  4. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To soon for me, you guys have fun.
  5. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Anybody else going to be running any of the UPAT in the next few days?
  6. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Also, I'm a bit confused...many in this thread reference a "small bike route"....is that the gpx file labeled the "dual sport" route?

We will be on a CRF250L Rally and 690 enduro both weighing around 350 pounds....only moderately skilled riders....want to know if we should do the dual sport and or big bike route.....we plan to do the southern part of the UP going east to west towards Wisconsin.
  7. agapetos

agapetos armlover8

Oddometer:
    I’m planning to run the upat starting next Wednesday through Sunday with a group of 4 guys
    All on smaller bikes
    2- Ktm 530's
    Ktm 450
    Ktm 250
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes, dual sport is the small bike path. The big bike version avoids some of the worst of the sand. If you are not comfortable riding some deep sand, take the big bike route. You will be pleased no matter which version you ride.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  9. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    How is the pavement, dirt road, two-track, gravel, etc. ratio like on the big bike route?

I ask because we want to minimize the pavement but also don't want to get in over our heads and above our ability level with 350 pound bikes. Thanks
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Try the small bike route. If you decide the sections of soft sand are too much, switch over to the big bike route. Depending on your GPS, you can load both sets of tracks at the same time and choose which you want to ride as you are on the trip.

I put a lot of pix into the ride report to try to help people see what the paths are like so they can have better information on which to make a decision based on their bikes and abilities. :D
  11. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Thanks; tracking all.

How much of the Big Bike and Dual Sport tracks overlap?

My brother is telling me the BB (Big Bike) tracks might as well be the "Big Baby" tracks, however, I don't get the impression that they are smooth, straight blacktop by any means...what say you?
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You can highlight both sets of tracks in your map software to see where they differ from each other.

Both tracks involve a great ride. The big bike tracks only by-pass places where big bikes might not fare so well like in soft sand.
  13. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to load both gpx tracks into OsmAnd at the same time?

Does the DS gpx file show the BB workarounds for the more challenging stretches?
  14. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I use Osmand as well and will be doing this trip in Sept. If you find out how to make the tracks different colors please let me know! I have never quite figured that out on Osmand. I'd like to see the different route options just so I don't wander off onto a really tough track unawares.
  15. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    As a temp. solution I loaded the DS route and then loaded the BB route as the POI overlay option within configure maps....looks like it may work....our departure is imminent....pray for our survival...my brother and I have a bad track record (win-loss record)
    Fat Chance likes this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You might want to read this . . . just to get you in the mood. :D

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cannontreks-vi-vii-1100-mile-dual-sports.584986/
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  17. dsmonstar

dsmonstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the BB loop but jumped off course a few times when I saw something interesting. It's a wonderful route, and I'm great in deep sand so it worked well for me.(600cc dual sport)
  18. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    How was your trip? Any heads-up are appreciated, I'm planning to head out myself in 3 weeks time, interested on current conditions.
  19. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    We survived. We rode the southern portion of the UPAT and I'd estimate we did 60% pavement and 40% dirt/gravel/two track.

We got lost on some really sandy trails somewhere along the southern end of the southern route before cruising pavement into Wisconsin.

I'd say what you ride is heavily bike and skill dependent. We were loaded with camping gear and what not on 340 pound bikes so we didn't go too fast through the sand and off-road.

We plan to go back in the future with dirt bikes carrying less load to ride more of the route, specifically the DS route.

Nonetheless, the big bike route does have gravel, dirt, and two track as well though which was definitely manageable for us and probably anyone with a big bike and moderate skill.
  20. extrememarine

extrememarine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to ride most of this in a week - has anyone found / used a place in Marquette to park a truck / trailer at? We plan to do park in Marquette and ride a figure 8 as suggested by others - just need to lock down a decent place to park. Any suggestions / updates would be appreciated!

Wayne