Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen swarms of mosquitoes in Gwinn like no man has ever seen before, had to put in earplugs to sleep at night because the buzzing was so loud, no joke.
    Also deer flies can be horrible in the hottest periods, I always keep a mosquito net in my tool bag, you will need it in case of trailside repairs.

In my personal opinion mid-August is the best time to ride the YouPee. Always be ready for cold nights if you're camping.
  2. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mosquitos are as bad as many places but the black flies will make you crazy.
    When they bite you bleed ---
  3. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    My favorite time to ride in the Yoop is September, after Labor Day. Most of the tourists are gone and the bugs are less of an issue.
    drhippie2 and Bultaco206 like this.
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    In all the years I've spent scouting and riding in the UP, I've only had bug problems a couple of times in a couple of spots. When that happens it is best to just change spots. Of course, I'm from WI where mosquitoes are a way of life.

I've ridden long rides there from May to October. The weather is what it is. Just be prepared for cold and wet as the worst case. I took one group through in August and it was 37 degrees one morning.

Just go have fun and don't overthink the weather or the insects. :D
  5. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!
    May, early June, or September. their are so many different kinds of bugs up there, that are trying to eat you during summer, that some of them haven't even been named yet. I would type out a list of the ones that I know about but it will take to long, keep in mind that during black fly season visibility is only about 100 feet....
  6. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Cowboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree
    As a lifelong Michigander you can be sure of one thing: whatever the conditions or the weather, it will change!
    Just go...
    Ride.....
    You won’t regret it

Besides, the bugs will only bug you when you are stopped...
    drhippie2, budsboy and polarpc like this.
  7. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've meandered many a mile in da UP and have experienced the unique "flavor" of that peninsula.
    It almost scares me to talk about it because I don't want to see it spoiled - but - that's not going to happen.
  8. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd go in August. The woods can literally crawl with ticks earlier than August. Skeeters and flies are one thing but I draw the line at ticks
  9. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    polarpc and Marco Moto like this.
  11. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really wanted to do this 8 years ago but had a really bad off. Finally back on a bike. A tw 200. Starting small again lol. Does anybody get groups together still. I think this wouldnt be too smart to attempt alone, atleast for me.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You can ride it alone, but you must have satellite tracking since comms are pretty bad in much of the UP.
  13. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with the up. I'm about an hour south of the bridge. Normally spend most of my up time on drummond island but I've been way back in the middle of nowhere in the up. Sat tracking and a buddy would make it alot more fun.