Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. polarpc

polarpc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, both ORV and ORV Trail stickers.
    Bultaco206 and Cannonshot like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes, for the parts that are designated trails. There can be some argument about other route sections that will not accommodate a standard two wheel drive car but I really don't want to go into that hypothetical discussion. The best thing is to buy the stickers (two in MI) and not worry about anything once you have them. The money goes to a good cause.
    Parcero, drhippie2, InTheMuck and 6 others like this.
  3. TrialnError

TrialnError n00b

Oddometer:
    If you could only do 1/2 of the UPAT, which would you choose, East or West?
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    They are both equally entertaining. There is more sand in the east and more rock in the west. Some will say the Keweenaw Peninsula on the west segment is a nice portion of the ride.
    enduro16, Bultaco206, budsboy and 2 others like this.
  5. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    It's all good, but my favorite parts are West of Munising up to Baraga. Areas around Gwinn too. You'll have fun whichever you choose.
  6. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Milwaukee)
    I am one of those people! Copper Harbor is a must see/ride in my book.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    A quick reroute due to a bridge problem.

On track six between Deerton and Laughing Whitefish Falls area, there is a failing bridge that is now signed and has cameras. We shouldn't go there. I'll update the track, but for now here is a quick look.

[​IMG]

The alternate path is a fun one that I've ridden many times and taken other groups on. Just be aware that there is a water crossing that can sometimes sneak up on you and give you quite a jolt if you are going too fast to react. The nature of this two track is that it is pretty sporty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you @Small bore adv for the recent field report about conditions there! Some issues in this area have been reported before.
  8. jgazette

jgazette n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi - Where can I find the GPS tracks? Probably just missed them in one of the posts? Also what is your recommendation for R1200GSA's? Are there specific tracks (like tree lined single tracks - you would recommend a ride around? Thanks - We're going to the UP in Sept. (3 big GSA's and looking for some great tracks to ride - looks like you have identified some great ones....

JG
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cannontracks-upper-peninsula-adventure-trail.636810/

https://cannonshot.net/wp/ride-reports/upper-peninsula-adventure-trail-upat/

Top-notch adventure.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I have a specific version of this ride for big bikes that avoids areas that are not big bike friendly (like deep sand). That version still includes some solid two tracks and the like.

I also have a number of other big bike rides in the UP. Here are two you may want to look at.

East

West

Many of my tracks are easiest to find here.
    Klay and PYG RYDR like this.
  11. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody planning to ride the UP in Sept.?
    I'm planning to and would like to join a group that is riding up there then if possible.
    Thanks
    Fritz
  12. Ewan McBoorman

Ewan McBoorman The voice of reason is annoying

Oddometer:
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There are also some land use changes there related to what the timber company will allow on their industrial roads which put some trail restrictions in place. I'm going to have to do a permanent edit to the track there to account for this.

For now, here is an entertaining route that will avoid the problem areas.

Follow the cyan colored track.

[​IMG]
    PYG RYDR and budsboy like this.
  14. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode the closed section on Tuesday. Missed the closed signs and it was not posted well as we passed other users. The logging crews waved us through where they were working. The road is now a widened out highway and destroyed by the logging equipment. Sad to see so many good riding areas being destroyed by the logging up there.

Also note the bad bridge over Hoar Creek where the waterfall is looked fairly new like it was replaced. The bad bridge over Montreal creek and Aetna Mine road route are completely closed now. They blocked Aetna Mine road at the west end just off Mandan Rd and that area is also destroyed by logging.

Here is a link that popped up on my google news feed the day after we rode the route.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/08/2-upper-peninsula-orv-trail-sections-closed-for-logging.html
    zxrider11 and Cannonshot like this.
  15. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep me on your short list. I’m in lower Michigan and would like to get up there this early fall: camping gets even better after school starts. I’ve done much of it previously and it’s a fantastic set of tracks @Cannonshot put together. There’s great single track too, so options from big bike to lightweight and all in between.
  16. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent!
    Thanks

Come on, guys. Aren't there more of you that want a Texan to laugh at? lol
    bark sampler likes this.
  17. Jake260

Jake260 In search of dirt

Oddometer:
    In the stretch from Big Bay to L’Anse, does the closure at Eagle Mine still affect the main route? I see two other options - one going north along Northwestern Rd. and one south that goes through Humbolt/Champion. I’m not from the area and am driving up to a Marquette on Friday, so does anyone have insight on either of those reroutes? The northern one looks like it goes past some waterfalls according to my GPS, but the southern route I’ve heard more about
  18. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last we week rode County rd FX,AX north out of Humbolt to Dishno rd west to Peshekee Grade Rd North to Lanse. Very nice route and doable on a big bike. Only one short section where the road was muddy and torn up from logging trucks.

I didnt ride the northern route but others in our group did on the way back from our trip. They stopped at the waterfalls and reported it was a nice route also.
  19. Jake260

Jake260 In search of dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report - we’ll be on a DR650 and an XR650L so it sounds like either will work.
  20. Shadow205

Shadow205 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning to ride central UP up to Copper Harbor on a gpx I made next thurs to sun. Does anyone know if the area has been wet this summer? I know spring was wet but it seems drier now? Any recent experience up there would be appreciated. thanks. custom.PNG

Attached Files: