Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It really depends where you are at and recent rainfall. In the keweenaw and rocky wooded areas the water lays in the low spots for a long time. In the open sandy and silty areas it will start to get dusty less than 24 hrs after a good rain. Be prepared to ride through water, dust, mud, sand, rocks, heat and cold all in the same day in the UP.
    BLucare and dstutz like this.
  2. Munmi4

Munmi4 Munmi

Oddometer:
    We did this section in mid-July. We had no issues at all getting through. Is this closure something new? We never encountered any closures in the section.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There is no closure near the Eagle Mine that I know of nor do I know why there would be considering the road involved. I also have tracks that run on a road north of the Eagle Mine and there is a side trip on a spur to go to a waterfall on that track, but it is not part of the UPAT. It is part of the many miles of other tracks I have in the UP.

As a side note, I've toured the Eagle Mine (and the mill at Humboldt) and haven't encountered any closures there.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  4. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I ran a little of section two over the weekend. Much more fun than I had anticipated. And with the recent rains, the nasty sand sections were a blast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    VDG, Jimmy C, polarpc and 7 others like this.
  5. Backster

Backster n00b

Oddometer:
    Just finished up the western half of the Dual Sport Route and had an absolute blast. Huge thanks to Cannonshot for putting this together. I’ve been riding for just over a year and this was my first multiday off-road trip and I’m hooked. Did it solo on my WR250R which seemed to be the perfect bike for the job. I was a bit uneasy about doing it solo but had a spot and was surprised by the amount of cell coverage I had. The bike did amazing and I had no problems finding fuel or camping along the way. I’ve lived in Michigan all my life and have snowmobiled and traveled in the UP many times, but this is the ultimate way to see it. Hoping to do the eastern half this year yet if time and weather allows.
    IMG_4333.jpeg IMG_4250.jpeg IMG_4285.jpeg
    InTheMuck, Klay, GS2Trout and 8 others like this.
  6. Brett Berisford

Brett Berisford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve read the primary loop takes 5-6 days to ride. Does the big bike route take about the same or less? Would be camping.

Considering riding up from Ohio later next week, weather forecast is a little cool though.

Are there any other considerations I should know about late season UP riding?

Thanks in advance
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine. It can get cool in the morning. 30s when I was riding up there last weekend. Take your time and enjoy it. 4-6 days.
  8. DBarbs

DBarbs n00b

Oddometer:

Hey Cannonshot. I'm not sure if you're still active. This thread was actually made when I was 12 years old so it's been some time! I'm very interested in riding / camping this trail coincidentally on my DRZ400 as well. Maybe I looked it over but do you have a GPS file for this I could download?

Thanks!

Dylan
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Links is at bottom of first post. There are multiple versions. I think three people are out riding a portion of the big bike version right now.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cann...a-adventure-trail.636810/page-2#post-20865117
  10. DBarbs

DBarbs n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks so much!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I just rode through some of the UPAT area on Sunday. The conditions were great and the fall colors are beautiful. There is still time to make the trip yet this season!

Some pix in this thread: The Railroad That Never Was
    Bultaco206, Backster and dstutz like this.
  12. scubabob

scubabob n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot: I am up riding the trial this week.
    Thank you for all the work putting it together.
    I am really enjoying the riding!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous!!!!

I hope you have a wonderful time! :thumb

Be safe!