Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. gilekirk

gilekirk n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow - what a neat looking area! This is now at the top of my list for the week of 7/12/21. Anyone planning to be up there then?? I'll be coming up from Cincinnati. Any good places to stash my truck near Mackinaw? TIA!
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Talk to one of the many motels in St Ignace. If you stay a night they usually accommodate your parking for the duration of your trip.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! Looking forward to hearing about it.
    Greener73 likes this.
  3. scubabob

scubabob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gilekirk:
    I am about 2 1/2 hours south of the bridge in Traverse city.
    If you end up having a hard time finding a place to park you are welcome to park at my house.
    I was just up riding part of the UPAT again last week. It is a great ride.
  4. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could finding a campsite without reservations be an issue July 4th weekend? Nothing fancy needed just a place to crash.
  5. scubabob

scubabob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think any of the official campgrounds will be booked. i was up there last week and was able to get spots mid week but most everything was booked up for the weekends. from what I saw.
    This was at national forest campground's without any amenities.
    Mikeeep likes this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Many people do some backcountry camping on a side path on public land. You won't have much trouble finding a place to set up if campgrounds aren't available.
    cavebiker and Mikeeep like this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I've hosted a number of groups on CannonTreks in the UP. I use a custom variation of the UPAT when I host rides for a number of reasons, but most of those custom paths are the same as what is reported on here. Nonetheless, some that are wondering about a small bike trip on the UPAT might find additional entertainment and information by looking over one or two of the CannonTrek reports in the UP. There are probably a few useful tips in the other related reports. Here's one: CannonTreks VI & VII - 1100 Mile Dual Sports | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
    PYG RYDR and Bultaco206 like this.
  8. SanK

SanK Harbinger of Industrial Decline

Oddometer:
    Surcease, werro_123, byknphil and 4 others like this.
  9. SanK

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have access to inexpensive snowmobile rental in the UP or an inmate with an extra they wanna make a buck off and/or join? Seems like it would be awesome to do the UPAT via snowmobile! Definitely up for making a plan if anyone is interested!
    sledrydr likes this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'd try the UPAT on a sled. BUT, there are some magnificent snowmobile trails up there that someond could ride as part of a mega-trip.

Some of the paths that aren't sled trails don't see anyone all winter. There is a sign out by Crisp Point that commemorates two women that tried to take a seasonal road and got stranded for two weeks. People figured they were dead but a helicopter crew eventually spotted their vehicle.

2 sisters stranded 13 days in Michigan woods survived on 'love' for family, supplies in SUV | Fox News
  11. SanK

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking a reasonable snowmobile friendly modified route- seemed like a decent amount of the 4wd routes were marked for snowmobiles too. I saw that same sign and story.
    Hopefully planning ahead will keep us out of trouble!
  12. werro_123

werro_123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @SanK and I actually went up to Crisp point on this trip and saw that sign on our trip.
  13. SanK

Oddometer:
    Here is some Raw 360 footage from around there! Heavily logged a little west.

Closer in it gets tighter and very sandy (clockwise into Crisp Point) @werro_123 had a lot of fun carving and working traction.

Sorry for raw audio, add your own soundtrack :bubba
    Cannonshot likes this.
  14. TheBigH

TheBigH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Cannonshot thanks for the tracks. Enjoyed the big bike route this past week going clockwise from ironwood over to pictures rocks and down to Boulder junction. We bowed out on a technical washout climb just below the overlook near copper harbor as a significant storm was rolling in. Lots of fun and adventure. Plenty of puddles,mud and sand west of Gwin gave us a workout.

Ended up camping in Boulder two sites down from the cleanest dr650 I’ve ever seen but the owner took off early before I could say hi. Must have been hungry for breakfast…

Attached Files:

CaseyB, budsboy, Bultaco206 and 4 others like this.
  15. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, it rained like crazy up here and it made a mess of some of the roads. The collected sand in washout areas was mostly still wet, so few pucker moments. The moisture really makes things green and beautiful and surprisingly, the bugs weren't too bad. I forgot to spray my clothes with permethrin, but maybe my T shirts are still repelling from last year's treatment.

I only rode a few short sections of the route, but now I want to come back for all of it.
  16. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    That photo of the weather radar looks just like when I went through there several years ago! That was a fun ride - though pouring rain, solo on 2 track, in the middle of nowhere, is not something I will rush to experience again!
  17. spudtool

spudtool aka thingfisch

Oddometer:
    I am heading up tomorrow from Frankfort. Planning to ride Big Bike tracks counter-clockwise from St. Ignace. Not camping. Weather looks great! Not sure how many days at least 4-5.
  18. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spudtool,

I did that SAME route almost exactly a year ago (Sept 23-25) on my DR650 - counter-clockwise from St. Ignace. It's a great ride! If you find yourself in Manistique and need a motel room, I always try to stay at the Colonial Motel - Mike the owner is a really interesting guy, the rooms are old-school knotty pine, but clean, and the rates are great. Also, if you get a chance, stop at Kitch-Iti-Kippee Spring at Palms Book Spring Park on Indian Lake - just northwest of Manistique. Take the raft across the inlet and see the huge, beautiful fish.

Have a great ride!

Bill
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Info about Big Spring.
  20. spudtool

spudtool aka thingfisch

Oddometer:
    I ended up doing the east loop. Thanks Cannonshot for providing the tracks it was great! I am not riding west loop because of weather rolling in tonight/rest of week. I thought being 'tween labor day and color season rooms would be no problem...NOT. Both St Ignace and Marquette had major happenings so I paid $$$ for a place to stay. BTW this was a friday and saturday night. I will do my research accordingly in future for accomodations. I ran into a SNAFU on "Rabbit Patch Road" UPAT BB. I did not have VVmapping on my 78. Home here I still cannot make sense. Best I can tell RPR is now also an ORV Route or I missed RPR and got on the ORV Trail being too far "out" on my 78? I make my turn off CR734 following track without looking at all the signage (duh) and stop at the first bottomless sand pit. A CO instantly appears on a quad. Turns out I have no warrants and I will be monitored for buying a sticker at Deep Park (gladly or $150). I never mind the small cost of stickers here in MI for all the great riding. THEN I push on...OOPS. EGADS...I was tempted to ride beside the 30' wide Razor rutted beach corridor but thought better about it. Anyway I turned around. Kept the DR up-right thank you.
    I appreciated the i (info) buttons along the track. Few times I saw "sporty" and felt good. I also saw "Saaand" which got me instantly on point. Turns out a lot of them were bystanders from the DS track. After Rabbit Patch Road I was a little gun shy and did avoid the south side of Sucker Creek for better or worse (I did look down it...).
    Riding by myself: Would NOT want to be out there in any rain. I was being careful but a road-wide water patch had me cheating the right side only it was deep (OK) but my tire tried to ride up the un seen slope and I fell over...to the right out of the water...into small poplars and a hive of some sort. Luckily they weren't stinging. My DR was in a "easy" position to pick-up. Man that took everything I had. Can't imagine if it was in a compromised position. Several attempts at starting..."is my battery holding up?" Finally up A-OK with the full throttle crank. On my way! I saw ZERO deer. Good job hunters! Eagles, Quail, raptors. Coming back east I enjoyed the large loop sougth of US 2- CR 433. The bridge is out but should be done in another week. Because there were no workers I was able to get over it. Next year I will ride the west loop. Thanks again Cannonshot!
    Klay, polarpc and Cannonshot like this.