Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff. Say hello to the Rallymaster for me when you next see him.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mohawk was once a booming mining town. Not much left now. This was a company house for workers back in the day.
    [​IMG]

They get a lot of snow on this peninsula.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can visit this blacksmith shop along side the road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some old structures are still around.
    [​IMG]

This church was originally built down the road at the Cliff Mine in 1858. After that mine played out, the church was dismantled and moved here in 1899.
    [​IMG]

There used to be a school next door.
    [​IMG]

The site of the Central Mine has some interesting exhibits.
    [​IMG]

It is worth it to tour through this miner's house with period furnishings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of mine shafts around. Best to stay clear.
    [​IMG]

Mine captain's house. Usually his was very near the main shaft.
    [​IMG]

Remains of what was the power house for raising and lowering the cable in the mine shaft.
    [​IMG]

Nicely rstored company house now under private ownership.
    [​IMG]
  3. Iron Tiger

Iron Tiger Born To Be Wild

Oddometer:
    Thanx For Share.. :thumb
  4. Roeskar

Roeskar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm captivated by your report, especially this part about the Keweenaw. I absolutely love it up there. My folks used to own one of the old mining homes on Cliff Drive in Mohawk and we still have a cabin on Lake Superior twelve miles south of Copper Harbor. Just put it to sleep for the winter:(:
    I plan on spending some time up there next year exploring the seasonal roads on my DS. Thanks so much for the great journal!
  5. SScratch

SScratch Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer:
    You're pretty snappy with that camera, but only one of the beach babe? Tsk, tsk.
    [​IMG]
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading south of US 41 toward Lac La Belle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lac LaBelle
    [​IMG]

Primary route out of LaBelle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The primary route is steep and fun.
    [​IMG]

Big bikes can take the alternate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bad bridge. Has a hole in it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When they were logging the peninsula, they missed some old growth pines. Now they are in a refuge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a nice loop south of Mandan Road. Fish Cove road I believe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bad bridge. Has the potential to get you. Be careful.
    [​IMG]

Nice lake along the path.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoing it!

I have a lot of dual sport GPS tracks on the peninsula. I'm sure I'll be hosting a ride out there or at least sharing some tracks. Maybe you'll be able to join us or ride the tracks on your own. Like you say, the Keweenaw is a great place to visit. Very scenic with lots of history.

Hi Steve! Hope things are going well down your way.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mandan Road
    [​IMG]

In 1989, a Coast Guard ship was picking up a buoy that had been marking a hazard just off the tip. While securing the buoy to the deck, the ship drifted onto the hazard that the buoy was marking, hit some rocks, and sank.
    [​IMG]

The officer that was supervising the operation didn't have enough references on the shore and she did not detect that the boat was drifting. The boat couldn't be salvaged so they towed it to deeper water and it is now a popular scuba diving site.
    [​IMG]

You can ride right out to the easternmost tip of the Keweenaw. There is a spot where you can camp at High Rock Bay.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 1913 the Waldo was navigating the lake when it got caught in a storm. A huge wave ripped the pilot house off the 451 foot ship nearly taking the Captain overboard as well. Another wave took out the crews quarters and 22 men and two women managed to escape to another part of the ship. The Captain, who was trying to navigate with a lifeboat compass and an oil lamp, tried to thread the needle by passing between the tip and Manitou Island. He smacked into Gull Rock and the ship split in half. They stayed alive for three days out there burning anything from the wreckage they could. Finally two lifesaving crews found them and rescued them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a lighthouse on Gull Rock now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rocket range is a beautiful spot at the tip of the peninsula.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some experiments involved launching rockets of buoys.
    [​IMG]

Heading toward Copper Harbor from the tip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The start of US 41 which traverses the country north to south.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lighthouse at Copper Harbor.
    [​IMG]

Fort Wilkins was put in here during the mining days to protect settlers. Not much happened that required the Army so it was eventually abandoned and is now an exhibit at a state park.
    [​IMG]

Well it is about time we started registering bears. Next time one knocks off a bird feeder maybe someone can get a plate number so the warden can pull the bear over and deal with it. :D
    [​IMG]
  9. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Lovin your ride report, history lessons and awesome pictures. :clap :clap :clap
  10. SScratch

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot, I'm really enjoying your report. Educational and artistic, as usual. I vaguely remember a trip to the Keweenaw a couple of years ago - it's a little foggy cuz my brain was froze.

As much as I enjoy exploring new places with the little bit of free time that I have, Michigan is a place that keeps me coming back. So with any luck we will cross paths again soon. Fair warning and all.

Has the Michigan Dept of Tourism sent you your award yet?
    1TRAK likes this.
  11. SScratch

Oddometer:
    In 1989, a Coast Guard ship was picking up a buoy that had been marking a hazard just off the tip. While securing the buoy to the deck, the ship drifted onto the hazard that the buoy was marking, hit some rocks, and sank.
    [​IMG]

Perhaps the buoy was still needed there?
  12. Detroit Steve

Detroit Steve Homely Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannnon, I shared you report with a friend and he was wondering if his mid-size pickup(Chevy Colorado) would fit down those trails in the UP?

BTW, excellent report!
  13. Oddball

Oddball Faking it.

Oddometer:
    I should have never gotten ride of my DRZ. It would have been a blast to take it to the UP.

Thanks for all your details! Also all the other routes that you have posted throughout the area.
  14. kzoo

kzoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once again, a great ride and history lesson too! One day I have got to get a DRZ or some such DS capable bike... :clap
  15. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot,

GREAT Report and Fantastic Photos!! I was born and raised in MI, lived there for over 40 years.. I Lived in the UP for a few years in the 60's (I was not riding then) so am familiar with some of the landmarks!!

I just subscribed and am gonna go through complete from the beginning, thanks for sharing!!

Pat in NH
  16. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bryan:

Are the map pictures shown in this thread Garmin Mapsource+Topo?
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad you like it Andy.

So much to see in the UP. I do send a lot of business that way. :lol3

Har-har. Winter pick-up.

You could have a nice (but slow) time using a pick-up truck. Most of the route would be fine. Many bear hunters run this stuff in trucks. There would be some restrictions in places.

You are quite welcome. I am happy to be in a position to do the scouting and reporting so that others can just show up and ride. That DRZ would have been a nice choice for this track.

Hope to see you on the trail with a DS bike next season! Too many good times to miss.

Hi Rocky, glad this brings back some great memories. Riding in the UP is wonderful. There are a lot of opportunities for dual sporters. I share a lot of tracks so that others can just show up and enjoy. The history part us kind of fun too as there is so much to take in up there. Maybe you'll get a chance to make this run sometime.

Hi Ed,

When I ride in Michigan and Wisconsin I use the ORV GPS maps from vvmapping.com as they have the trails and a lot of other useful information (like gas stops) built into them.

In this report, I took screen shots using MapSource from both Garmin Topo and the vvampping ORV maps. When I wanted to highlight terrain, I used topo. When I wanted to highlight ORV trails, I used VV maps.
  18. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    I was already looking to see how many miles to get out there from NH where I live now!! I would love to try some of that. I enjoy your history very much, alot I am familiar with having grown up there while other of it is new to me too... I lived in Houghton/Hancock when I was up there... went back a few times to hunt there and in Manistique..

Was there a gps file in here some where???

Pat in NH
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Pat, I'll post the GPS file later on in the report. I kind of polish it a little as I go to make sure all is correct. I post the link to the file in the ride report when it is ready to go.
  20. Roeskar

Roeskar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was up there last weekend with my 99 Suburban and rode from the end of hywy 41 all the way to Lac Labelle on the Mandan Road. I've also taken it on many of the other seasonal roads up there with no problem. Kinda tight in spots, but that just adds to the adventure!